NCL Jewel vs. Celebrity Century

Purplepuppy

Hi everyone!

I've actually posted this question on the NCL board as well because I just cannot decide what to do!

I have just joined but I have to admit that I have been a lurker for a while. We took our first cruise this month-RCI's Serenade to Alaska-and we are hooked on cruising now!

I am torn between two sailings for this September:

1) 12 night Classic Mediterranean from Barcelona to Istanbul leaving September 3 on NCL Jewel (Venice, Rome, Naples, Dubrovnik, etc.)

2) 13 night Best of Europe from Amsterdam to Barcelona leaving September 2 on Celebrity Century (ports include Paris, Nice, Rome, Lisbon, Malaga, etc.)

We are a couple in our late 20's and I have never been to Europe before. The itineraries are quite different but I think I'd enjoy visiting all of those places. I also am not sure about the ships. I know that Celebrity is supposed to be a more luxurious line but the Century is an older ship (although refurbished). The Jewel sounds like it's a beautiful new ship but we're not sure about the freestyle dining (do you have to pay extra for a lot of them?) and if the service will be as good. The Celebrity cruise is slightly more expensive. How do the ships compare to RCI's Serenade?

We have a reservation booked for the Jewel currently but we need to decide tonight or we will lose it. I can't seem to decide between the two!!

Thanks for any advice that anyone can offer!!

quote.gif

purple puppy, we have sailed on NCL on the Sun. It is a much more casual cruise than RCCL or Celebrity. We loved the freestyle cruising, we were able to eat in a different restaurant each night (but we were on a 7 night cruise) and enjoyed all of them. My hubby especially liked the fact we didn't have an assigned dinner time, and that there were NO formal nights. We are about to board the Century in 2 weeks, and I do expect that ship to be much more formal, and already my hubby is complaining. oh well......

no matter which ship you choose, you will have a ball, and the ports on both cruises are fantastic.

bpolan

purple Puppy, I have answered your question on the NCL board as well. Both are good ships but in different ways: I would lean toward NCL because of freestyle and the newer ship. Even though the Century has been refurbished, it is still not almost brand new, but price would play a part as well. good luck whatever you choose. NMnita

Thanks for the responses! We have decided to go with the NCL Jewel. DH is very happy that he will not have to bring his suit. We will definitely cruise with Celebrity in the future but perhaps with one of their newer ships.

Archived