Half Moon Cay

msdaniel22

I have been to Half Moon Cay with Holland America several times & it is a favorite stop of mine. I've never done a shore excursion. It is a great place to relax on the beach or hammocks. I usually rent a clamshell & it covers 2 chairs. Snorkeling is great especially by the rocks that jut out on the left side of the beach. They've added a children's area with floats in that last couple of years. HAL always has a BBQ on the island so you don't have to leave the island for lunch (not sure what Carnival does). I'm envious...have a great time!!:)

We are headed to HMC on Elation in Sept. (weather permitting) and are really looking forward to that day. I have read so much about the natural beauty of the island.

I am hoping to have both a beach day and some hiking time to explore the island. I have seen some pictures, so I know there are hiking trails over at least some portion of the island.

Maybe hike first thing, before it gets too hot, then come back to the main area for lunch and have some lazy beach time after lunch until it is time to re-board the ship.

That's my plan for now...

My family and I spent a day on HMC last November as passengers on the "Dam" ship Zuiderdam. We all agreed it was our favorite stop. The water is so beautiful, and the sand is soft like baby powder. I wished the ship had just circled HMC all week, and let us tender in every day. We did the sting ray snorkel, and it was totally lame. We were all sorry that we left the beach to participate. If you get the chance to swim with the rays in Grand Cayman, do it there instead. (We used, and recommend, Capt. Marvin.) From reading the boards, I thought that you'd have to rent a cabana or clamshell in order to have a place to sit on the beach. Not true. There are plenty of lounge chairs, and our party of 7 had no problem finding enough in one area to drag together (and we're not early risers!). Our next cruise is in December, and we won't be stopping in HMC, so I, too, am a little jealous. Have fun and use the stop to just relax on the most beautiful beach I've ever seen.

Sheephugs, About how much do they charge on the beach to rent the snorkeling equipment?

karamelqt11, after my first cruise & I realized I was hooked on cruises & snorkeling, I bought a set at a local scuba shop, therefore I don't know the rental price. My fins, mask & snorkel (special kind that closes when waves pass over) cost about $70.00. My father-in-law just got a comparable set at Sams Wholesale for about $45.00. If you cruise at least once a year, I'd recommend the investment.

We just returned from our cruise and Half Moon Cay earlier this week. We did not schedule any excursions while there and I am thrilled that we didn't. Hubby, daughter and I took our own snorkeling gear and had a FABULOUS time! The water was absolutely calm and gorgeous. We swam out to the lines and wanted to go a bit beyond but were told to come back. We saw a few fish and two stingrays. I wish we could have spent a couple of days there. This was our first cruise and we're ready to book again! Here are three pictures from HMC.

97992328909_0_ALB.jpg98068438909_0_ALB.jpg78068438909_0_ALB.jpg

I tried to insert pictures. I guess I did it wrong. You'll just have to trust that the water and beach are gorgeous!!!

Archived