Soda Card ?

KAWS

What exactly does this card cover? I know it covers carbonated "soda pop" but does it cover anything else? What about bottled water? What about in the dining room? Does it cover non-alcoholic beverages there or is that covered anyway?

We're definitely getting DS one but are wondering if we should be getting one too. If it covers bottled water, I definitely will get one. Told hubby I'd rather spend a sure $35 and know that I'm covered for that amount rather than have to be concerned as to price all week.

Anyone know? Thanks.

Kim

It covers fountain drinks(coke, sprite....) at the bars and at the restaurants throughout the ship. It does not cover bottled water. Basically what we do, is buy one card and each of us will take it to the bar for cokes or order from different waiters. Usually you can only order one at a time. Hope this helps.

It covers fountain drinks(coke, sprite....) at the bars and at the restaurants throughout the ship. It does not cover bottled water. Basically what we do, is buy one card and each of us will take it to the bar for cokes or order from different waiters. Usually you can only order one at a time. Hope this helps.

You seem to think there is nothing wrong with this? I really don't this was designed to work like this.:rolleyes:

Bill

What exactly does this card cover? I know it covers carbonated "soda pop" but does it cover anything else?

Soda and any other beverages that are only available at the bars, such as cranberry juice.

What about bottled water?

No. Pay for bottled water, or you are allowed to bring a "reasonable" amount onboard. Otherwise, the water is REALLY well filtered, and great from the taps to refill from any bottles you bring on.

What about in the dining room? Does it cover non-alcoholic beverages there or is that covered anyway?

You can get water, iced tea for free in the dining room. Otherwise you need a soda card or pay for what you want.

We're definitely getting DS one but are wondering if we should be getting one too. If it covers bottled water, I definitely will get one. Told hubby I'd rather spend a sure $35 and know that I'm covered for that amount rather than have to be concerned as to price all week.

If you drink a lot of soda, then yes, get a soda card. If not, then you have options for free in the buffet and dining room. If you NEED bottled water, then bring a reasonable amount with you (no more than a 12 pack per person). Again, other than that, the water is really well filtered...

You can bring a reasonable amount (again no more than a 12 pack) per person if you have specific sodas that you want.

Hope this helps.

CJW

What about in the dining room? Does it cover non-alcoholic beverages there or is that covered anyway?

In the formal dining room, you can have iced tea, hot tea, coffee, decaf, milk, ice water, juice, espresso, and cappuccino. All these available at all meals at no extra charge.

FYI, the soda card is intended for ONE person only...not as someone said in an earlier post - they aren't for sharing, although some folks do that.:(

I take one bottle of water on board with me, and refill from the water in the Lido buffet area. I also take a six pack of bottled Cokes on board - that is allowed. You can also buy soft drinks in ports and bring them back on board, no problem.

Soda and any other beverages that are only available at the bars, such as cranberry juice.

No. Pay for bottled water, or you are allowed to bring a "reasonable" amount onboard. Otherwise, the water is REALLY well filtered, and great from the taps to refill from any bottles you bring on.

You can get water, iced tea for free in the dining room. Otherwise you need a soda card or pay for what you want.

If you drink a lot of soda, then yes, get a soda card. If not, then you have options for free in the buffet and dining room. If you NEED bottled water, then bring a reasonable amount with you (no more than a 12 pack per person). Again, other than that, the water is really well filtered...

You can bring a reasonable amount (again no more than a 12 pack) per person if you have specific sodas that you want.

Hope this helps.

CJW

No where does it mention no more than a 12 pk. I have brought two 12 pks with no problem. Same with the water. No where does it mention just a 12pk.

No where does it mention no more than a 12 pk. I have brought two 12 pks with no problem. Same with the water. No where does it mention just a 12pk.

If I remember correctly an oft times i don't, I think it said a reasonable amount of soda and water. What a reasonable amount is not specified.:confused:

Bill

If I remember correctly an oft times i don't, I think it said a reasonable amount of soda and water. What a reasonable amount is not specified.:confused:

Bill

If you came in with three 12 pks for two people is reasonable. Are they going take one way and cause a possible loss of a customer over a 12 pk of soda.

Bob

If you came in with three 12 pks for two people is reasonable. Are they going take one way and cause a possible loss of a customer over a 12 pk of soda.

Bob

Depends on who you get that day... they determine what is reasonable. For me personally, that is alot of dang soda for a week! LOL! I would think maybe a 12 pack per person, I don't know... I'm not a soda drinker, but I know that THEY are the ones who determines what is reasonable... and if you get a cranky one, well... you might not walk on with what you intended to, LOL. And seriously, would a passenger really give up their entire cruise and money over a freaking 12 pack of soda?? I didn':Dt think so...

Depends on who you get that day... they determine what is reasonable. For me personally, that is alot of dang soda for a week! LOL! I would think maybe a 12 pack per person, I don't know... I'm not a soda drinker, but I know that THEY are the ones who determines what is reasonable... and if you get a cranky one, well... you might not walk on with what you intended to, LOL. And seriously, would a passenger really give up their entire cruise and money over a freaking 12 pack of soda?? I didn':Dt think so...

Future cruise... If I get hastled by Carnival Staff I would choose to cruise another cuise line next time. They would loose a customer for a FUTURE cuise over a $3-12 pack of soda

actually the documents now state a small amount may be carried on. and its the descretion of the employee on duty to determine the small amount.

Can they take it from you-- sure they could. I think a 12 pack of soda each person is more then enough plus a case of water if needed.

My SO and I are very big soda drinkers and have carried on a 12 packs each-- I was shocked at the amount of soda that we had left over the last night. Guess we are just too lazy when we are out and about to go back to the cabin to get a soda when we could jsut as easily get a free tea/lemonade from teh lido

Future cruise... If I get hastled by Carnival Staff I would choose to cruise another cuise line next time. They would loose a customer for a FUTURE cuise over a $3-12 pack of soda

So are you saying that if you had a great cruise experience and they denied you of a 12 pack of soda, which probably won't happen, you'd cruise another cruiseline?

So then you'd have 3 cruiselines left to pick from NCL, RCI, and X. RCI and X will most definitely be higher priced but NCL is priced about the same if not cheaper sometimes.

We all have to make decisions that are important to US and we all have different priorities.:)

Bill

There are some lines that don't allow ANY to be brought on. So you wouldn't cruise on a ship unless they let you smuggle sodas?? Is that addiction speaking or just frugality :p just kidding, don't go getting your panties in a wad :D To each their own!!

Bill

When I sailed from Galveston, they would only allow me to carry on a 6 pack. When I sailed from Miami they had no problems with me carrying on a 12 pack (of diet Coke). So apparently it varies.

When I sailed from Galveston, they would only allow me to carry on a 6 pack. When I sailed from Miami they had no problems with me carrying on a 12 pack (of diet Coke). So apparently it varies.

Ain't that the truth! LOL! This is one area they aren't terribly consistent!!!

Soda cards are well worth the price if you are a "soda drinker". We always get one for EACH of us as we board. I can't imagine why someone would buy one and then pass it around. That is what makes it expensive for the rest of us. It is intended that there is one soda card per person. Please abide by the rules.

I wasn't meaning that it was a written "rule" or "law", I was giving a general guideline.

It totally depends on who you get that day.

One day you may get away with 2 12 packs. Another day, it may only be a 6 pack. But most of the time in general, up to a 12 pack per person is a reasonable amount that doesn't get hassled or questioned.;)

That was the point.

Gee whiz. Nit pick.:p :D

CJW

How much is the card? And how much does a soda cost? I'm wondering if it's even worth it for myself..
For an adult it is $5.50 per day (depends on the length of your cruise) plus a 15% tip added to the total cost of the card.

A glass of soda is $1.25 and a can is $1.75 (add 15% to those for a tip).

John

Well thanks everyone for their replies. Looks to me like teenage son will get a soda card and dh and I will just buy as needed.

I appreciate your help and input. As always, these boards have turned into very valuable information for me.

Kim

Basically what we do, is buy one card and each of us will take it to the bar for cokes or order from different waiters...

First, the soda cards are never worth the pure cost of the card. What does justify the expense is the benefit of speedy service at the bars, dining room and in the theatre. All you need to do is flash the card and order your soda. If you don't have the card then you must wait for the transaction to be rung up and posted to your sign and sail card.

The card allows you to also get juices at the bars after exercise in the mornings. We use them to get pineapple juice and fruit juices during the day, and after our morning run.

The theatre and the dining room beverage service also make it easy, as your dining waiter will have your soda waiting for you each evening after you show the card to he/she and place your order the first night.

Ask yourself a question based on the logic from the response above. Let's say you and a friend go to a buffet and both of you are not very hungry. Can you and that friend go through the line one at a time, and then justify that you ate only as much as one hungry person? If you can live with that answer then do what you wish...

Finally, the cost of the actual soda is a fraction of the expense of serving a drink to cruise passengers. The shipping costs, human costs of labor involved and the entire expense are probably a small profit for Carnival.

A Tylenol costs about $2 at one of my hospitals by the time it gets to a patient. The difference is the expense of handling, dispensing and human cost to get it to the floor.

HaHa my Husband use to work at Pepsi so he shrinkwrapped 2 cases of Pepsi to a case of bottled water, slapped a luggage tag on it and had the porter take it with our luggage. Only comments we heard were from fellow passengers saying they wish they had thought of it! There was four of us and two were teenagers and they still bought soda cards. Needless to say, my husband was addicted to the stuff. He no longer works for Pepsi and got over his addiction! lol

Hm..... can't say that I'm capable of drinking more than 21 soda cans in a week... though you never know. Doesn't seem like a deal to me....

With the soda card, you don't get cans - you get a glass/cup of Coke over ice.

Archived