Just back from Baltics on Connie-7-1-06

rodan

Did not have time yet to write a review on this fantastic cruise on the Connie to the Baltics from 7/1-7/15. Same cruise as Boo's Mom. We did all the ports except ST Pete (Denrus Value tour) on our own and only used the ship's shuttle in Stockholm. In Germany we decided to go to Schwerin noted for its castle while taking in Rostock and Warnemunde on the way back. We enjoyed all the ports but felt that Klaipeida (the street markets and the Coronian spit) and Oslo (did not compare to rest of Scandinavia) did not offer near as much as the other ports. Narrow what you want to see in Stockholm If you have any questions about the ports,shopping,walking etc. just fire away.

-Irwin

Were you happy with the Denrus Value tour? How many people were in your group and were other ships' passengers involved, or was it just people from the Connie. We sail on her 7/29 and have booked with Denrus for their Value Tour. They must be hugely busy, because I have called once and emailed 2X and received no response, altho I have my tickets that they emailed me some time ago. When did they charge you? They were to charge me on 7/2 but have not yet.

Irwin,

Thanks for posting. DH and I are sailing the Baltic on the Star Princess in September and only have a half a day in Oslo. We were thinking of touring on our own, is this a possibility? Also what makes you say it "does not compare" to the rest of Scandinavia, what was it missing?

Thanks in advance.

Were you happy with the Denrus Value tour? How many people were in your group and were other ships' passengers involved, or was it just people from the Connie. We sail on her 7/29 and have booked with Denrus for their Value Tour. They must be hugely busy, because I have called once and emailed 2X and received no response, altho I have my tickets that they emailed me some time ago. When did they charge you? They were to charge me on 7/2 but have not yet.

On our tour there were 25 of us all from our ship on a large bus (plenty of room). The number did not affect us as we pretty much stayed together and did not have to worry about waiting for others. Our group was well diversified with seniors, families, young couples etc. Denrus did an excellent job and the 2 places that we ate at were great. The first place was right on the grounds of the Peterhoff palace and the second was right after our canal ride on the Neva river. The meals were excellent with both champagne,bottled water and Vodka served. The dining rooms were attractive and the service was first rate and efficient. Clean bathrooms were available. Both stops took only an hour. I hope you have clear weather for the canal ride is both a highlight and a delight. We were most impressed with Peterhoff and the Yusopov(spelling) palaces. Another thing to mention is that we kept bumping into a private Denrus group of 10 (I knew the group from cruise critic). We saw them at both Peterhof and the Hermitage. Just thought I mention that just to show that the timing of private Denrus groups which are smaller and the Value tours are pretty much the same. As for payment Denrus is way behind and we just got charged on our credit card a day ago so don't worry about that.In conclusion I would do the value tour again in a heartbeat. Have a great trip.

-Irwin

Irwin,

Thanks for posting. DH and I are sailing the Baltic on the Star Princess in September and only have a half a day in Oslo. We were thinking of touring on our own, is this a possibility? Also what makes you say it "does not compare" to the rest of Scandinavia, what was it missing?

Thanks in advance.

You can definitely tour on your own as your ship will dock right at the fortress which is worth a walk around. As soon as you get off the ship go to the tourist office which is right there where the ship docks (inside the cruise terminal). Ask them where you can purchase tram tickets and let them show you on a map how to walk to the tram from the dock (it is very easy-I believe the tram was #15).The main reason for taking a tram would be to visit Vigeland Sculpture Park located in Frogner park. If you do not purchase tram txt before boarding they cost more once you board the tram (looks like a trolley) but that would eliminate the hassle of going to the kiosk or train station where txt. can be bought. With half a day in port the biggest attraction is Vigeland which is well worth the visit and it is free. I would go to the park first then on the way back walk to the center of town(very easy to do). There are several sites to see as you walk around. The fortress I would do last because its located right beside the ship. Oslo is not really missing anything its just that compared to the other Scandinavian Capitals it was a slight disappointment and by that I do not mean a real disappointment because we really enjoyed the port. Since you have only a half a day you will still be able to see a lot no matter what you end up doing because the ship is so close to where its at. Have a great trip and let me know if there is anything more you need to know,

-Irwin

You can definitely tour on your own as your ship will dock right at the fortress which is worth a walk around. As soon as you get off the ship go to the tourist office which is right there where the ship docks (inside the cruise terminal). Ask them where you can purchase tram tickets and let them show you on a map how to walk to the tram from the dock (it is very easy-I believe the tram was #15).The main reason for taking a tram would be to visit Vigeland Sculpture Park located in Frogner park. If you do not purchase tram txt before boarding they cost more once you board the tram (looks like a trolley) but that would eliminate the hassle of going to the kiosk or train station where txt. can be bought. With half a day in port the biggest attraction is Vigeland which is well worth the visit and it is free. I would go to the park first then on the way back walk to the center of town(very easy to do). There are several sites to see as you walk around. The fortress I would do last because its located right beside the ship. Oslo is not really missing anything its just that compared to the other Scandinavian Capitals it was a slight disappointment and by that I do not mean a real disappointment because we really enjoyed the port. Since you have only a half a day you will still be able to see a lot no matter what you end up doing because the ship is so close to where its at. Have a great trip and let me know if there is anything more you need to know, -Irwin

Irwin,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and thorough response. I really appreciate your touring suggestions for Oslo as this had been a difficult port to research here at home. I have been looking for maps and information on walking tours and found them all lacking. Your insight into touring in Oslo on our own is most helpful.

Archived