S&S cards

Spinner101

I am going on a the Carnival Conquest in Jan of 07. Can anyone tell me if you can use a debit card to put agaimst your onboard card for drinks and other services? Thanks

Yup!! Keep in mind, they will put a hold on your account.. so you will need to have enough for the hold and your charges in your account!!

when using a debit card-- make sure you have no daily limit to your spending on that card or could be in trouble when you get back.

We have a 200 maiximum limit...on a cruise we would surely go over that limit since the amount is put in on Sat/Sun. Because it went over the limit my account will then be frozen and i will not be able to access my money for at least 3-5 working days.

Ships do use debit cards but do NOT use the prepaid credit cards.

Spinner, I do everything with my Visa debit card! I book the cruise, pay off the cruise, and secure my S&S account with it. I don't happen to have a limit of any kind, or hold put on my card. You should check with your bank to see what status you have.:)

Yes you can put cash on the S&S card. For 5-8 day cruises you must put $200 per person down on the card. If your balance starts to get low they will notify you and you can then put more down if you choose. Any money left over will be given to you in check form

Also if using your debit card check with your bank on how long it takes to get the hold taken off of your account. It takes my bank 5 business days to take the hold off. So if they take mine of on Friday it isn't available for me until the following Friday.

Spinner, I do everything with my Visa debit card! I book the cruise, pay off the cruise, and secure my S&S account with it. I don't happen to have a limit of any kind, or hold put on my card. You should check with your bank to see what status you have.:)

Cotton, are you sure??? How do they know they are going to get paid?? Just like gas stations do with their holds.. they do it to make sure there is money there for them... I do have a limit of $1K a day, which is fine... but even though my credit union releases as soon as my charge is put through, there is still an invisible hold. You can't see the hold, and won't know it's there.. are you sure they don't do that?? It's not the bank that places the hold, it's the vendor who does it...

:D All I can say is I have more than sufficient funds in my account, and it's never been an issue. I don't know any other way to explain it.

LOL, then they probably verify that and place a hold... although you would never know it. I used to work in an environment where we had to deal with these holds all the time. And regardless of how much money someone had, the hold had to be placed... simply to make sure we got paid... the bank had nothing to do with the hold, you run the transaction through in a different manner so that a charge is not made, but the funds are secured.

I'm travelling soon as well and I'll be doing cash. I'm wondering though.. will my charges blend in with the other person staying in my cabin? So if I spend $100 on drinks or whatever, and the other person spends $500... will we be able to figure that out at end of the trip?

I'm travelling soon as well and I'll be doing cash. I'm wondering though.. will my charges blend in with the other person staying in my cabin? So if I spend $100 on drinks or whatever, and the other person spends $500... will we be able to figure that out at end of the trip?

You will each have your own account and folio.

when using a debit card-- make sure you have no daily limit to your spending on that card or could be in trouble when you get back.

We have a 200 maiximum limit...on a cruise we would surely go over that limit since the amount is put in on Sat/Sun. Because it went over the limit my account will then be frozen and i will not be able to access my money for at least 3-5 working days.

Ships do use debit cards but do NOT use the prepaid credit cards.

This is true AND many banks will freeze your account if it looks suspicious. You MUST notify your bank if you are going to use it in such a manner. Call them a few days before you go so they know you may be using it outside the country. They may be able to adjust your daily limit for just this occassion. Wells Fargo did it for my brother.

:D

You might want to call to find the exact amount you need to put on your S&S card. It says $200 online for 7 day cruises but it depends on the cruise. The deposit for Elation is $300. I think the website might be outdated... unless the customer service rep is wrong. Never hurts to double check.

I am going on a the Carnival Conquest in Jan of 07. Can anyone tell me if you can use a debit card to put agaimst your onboard card for drinks and other services? Thanks

yes you can use debit card. you may want to talk with your bank and explain what will be charged to make sure there is no daily limit.

Archived