Jewel of the Seas 4/15/2007

MarylandBob

Hey Everyone!

First of all, I want the girls to know that, while you may be in the minority gender-wise in this group, you'll be the roses among a bunch of thorns :)

By the way, a few interesting tidbits I thought I would share.

First of all, the good news is that my travel agent informs me that the bedding upgrade on the Jewel is complete. YAYE!!!

Now the bad news, she also informs me that RCCL does not provide robes in the staterooms - even the Grand Suites. Now, I have admit, this seems a little odd to me. If anyone has any information to the contrary on this, I would love to hear it.

After all, one of the things I love best about crusing is having my morning coffee out on the balcony in my robe - know what I mean?

So, if this is true, I'll either have to pack a robe or buy one in advance and have it placed in the stateroom.

So far, I've gotten minimal response to trying to pre-organize a dinner table for us, so I guess we'll just play that by ear.

However, we are still inviting EVERYONE for a sailaway toast in our stateroom!!!

The one thing I forgot to ask my TA is how many formal nights are on the cruise? Does anyone know this? Which leads me to another question....how many of you are planning on dressing up on formal nights?

I know that IF my partner and I do, it will be simply a dark suit and not a tuxedo - we're going to leave these at home this cruise.

I am also still doing research on the ports. I'm thinking at this point, we're going to pretty much stay away from the ship's offerings since it seems that there are several options in each of the ports for independent travel.

Once I get our plan solidified, I'll be happy to share our plans.

Cheers!

John In Seattle

Hey John:

The girls can always be part of the group, after all, we are all "family."

Good to hear about the bedding upgrade. As far as the robes are concerned, I've only sailed an RCI suite once and that was back in 2004. I really do not remember if there were robes in our cabin or not. I do know that you can purchase them online in the RCI website prior to the cruise to be delivered to your cabin upon embarkation. I also seem to remember reading here that you can request one from your cabin attendant upon embarkation but now I can't remember if this is RCI or another line. But if this is really important for you, why don't you call RCI yourself and get the scoop directly from them?

On all RCI cruises that I have been on 11 days or longer they have always had 3 formal nights. I will be wearing my tux as I just bought it last year after I found myself cruising more and more and decided to take the plunge and buy one. Now that I have I might as well use it.

I'm surely counting down the days to meeting everyone on this thread. What time is that sailaway party? Oh, by the way, I think I've found a picture that I can share with all of you here. I have to find a way to crop it and leave out the others.

Juan

Juan, Greetings again As I peruse and cruise through these boards I keep seeing rienreiter and there you are.

You , having missed out on the T/A on BOS, will really enjoy the one on Jewel. Leo and I did her first T/A when she was brand new; we did a Baltic out of Harwich b2b with the T/A to Boston - her first US port ever. Rough weather caused us to miss Cork (Cobh) so we did Halifax instead which you will remember from last year on QM2 in the rain.

If you have not already been, by all means go to Bruges. We were there on Princess a couple of years ago and they had a tour that took us to the perimeter of the city (the old part is pedestrian only for the most part) and from there we were able to do canal trips as well as the old medieval part of the city.

Nice to pick up with you again; you must be getting antsy by now

Hugh:)

Hi Hugh:

It is so nice to bump into you again. You won't believe it but I still miss not having made the Brilliance TA last November. I met so many nice people on these boards. It was a big disappointment not to have met you as well as all the others.

ANTSY IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT! I've met a lot of nice people on these boards also so I can't wait. I haven't been on a ship since Sept. of last year so I am ready!

I will definitely be going into Bruges although I have already been there. But that was back in 1991 so it will be like going for the first time again.

I'll be doing another TA in October. That one will be on the QM2. We were sold on the QM2 last September. My partner will be coming then and it will be his first TA so I can't wait for him to experience it.

You and Leo take care! Juan

PS Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

Hi Everyone. Thanks John and Juan for being so sweet. We are so looking forward to meeting everyone.

Read on the other board that it is only 7 more Sundays that the Jewel sails without us. I like that single digit number!

Juan, We did indeed have a great time in Vegas. I hadn't seen my partner since November, so being together is always great. Had a very short visit this time and it is always horrible saying goodbye, but knowing we had the cruise in less than 50 days made it a little more bearable. Didn't win any money but had fun nonetheless.

Glad you got that airfare when you did! Post that picture!

Hi Juli:

Here I go having to post again. These boards have been so uncooperative lately that my post did not take.

Glad to hear that you had a great time in Vegas. 7 weeks to go sure sounds nice. And Maryann and you will be together again.

I remember when I first joined the roll call it was more like 20 and I thought April would never come around.

Juan

Hello All,

Just completed the online registration, another sign that the voyage is getting closer! Received a pamphlet in the mail the other day which looks like "documents" so I guess that's what RCCL provides. Haven't sailed on this line in a while.

Not sure about the robe business in the suites. I know when we book suites on Holland America there is always a robe in the stateroom. We'll pack some "lounge" gear in case they don't provide the robes. It's so tough to pack for a trip like this now that airlines are getting so strict with baggage weight limits. We will take our tuxedos since there are 3 formal nights.

I've begun looking at independent tour options in port. We haven't made any decisions yet but it certainly looks like there are enough of us to get some groups together and do private tours that will be of more interest than the ship's offerings.

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon.

Regards,

Robert and Jerry

Hi Robert and Jerry:

Registered and ready here also. Have been registered since making final payment at the beginning of February.

Funny how people keep mentioning receiving documents in the mail from RCI. On all of my RCI cruises, I have never received any documents. I've always done my registration online though. Additionally, I have never been asked for any documentation upon checking in at the pier except for the Set Sail Pass.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Juan

Juan, Paulo from the other cruise website has not emailed me yet. Maybe he doesn't check it very frequently.

Bob, I agree with you as far as ports. I don't think we are booking any ship tours. I have found several independent online tour agencies that I'm happy to share with anyone else who wants the information.

By the way, looks like our cruise is sold out!

Cheers everyone!!!

John

Hi John:

Maybe Paolo is not on the cruise anymore. Either that or he has never gone back to see if anyone responds as I did notice that his other post is the only one he has ever done. He mustn't be a big cruise nut like we are. I check this website everyday. That's not good as it makes me more anxious for departure day to arrive.

It looks like our cruise has been sold out since Wednesday of last week. I've checked back every couple of days since then but still nothing available so indeed it does look like it is completely booked.

Juan

John: Just sent you an email with my res. number so that you can get started on putting the dinner table together. I also attached a picture of me that was just recently taken.

I just checked my email and noticed that my TA emailed me the eDocs this afternoon. I'm going to spend some time reading them as this is a pre-requisite towards further excitement buildup. However, I've never had to use these documents? How about any of you, ever had to use them? All that I have used is the Set Sail Pass and that's it.

I am really looking forward to meeting all of you. 47 days to go!!!

Juan

Hello everybody

We hope eveyone is ready to set sail soon and have alot of fun at sea. John to answer your question about the robes. After anyone reaches plat. they will firnish you robes.

Hey Juan Just got back from our trip to egypt, fantastic! Beautiful friendly people and very inexpensive. Anyway Wayne and I would be interested in joining the dinner table. We are booked for late seating, email PaulHAlexander@gmail.com so I can set it up. We recieved docs that basically are shore excursion brochure. No air arrangements mentioned in brochure.

John: Just sent you an email with my res. number so that you can get started on putting the dinner table together. I also attached a picture of me that was just recently taken.

I just checked my email and noticed that my TA emailed me the eDocs this afternoon. I'm going to spend some time reading them as this is a pre-requisite towards further excitement buildup. However, I've never had to use these documents? How about any of you, ever had to use them? All that I have used is the Set Sail Pass and that's it.

I am really looking forward to meeting all of you. 47 days to go!!!

Juan

[qNever mind. I found Johns previous post with his email addy so I sent res number directly to him. It would be nice if a bunch of us could dine together. Looking forward to the cruise...Pauluote=Boston RN;9259028]Hey Juan Just got back from our trip to egypt, fantastic! Beautiful friendly people and very inexpensive. Anyway Wayne and I would be interested in joining the dinner table. We are booked for late seating, email PaulHAlexander@gmail.com so I can set it up. We recieved docs that basically are shore excursion brochure. No air arrangements mentioned in brochure.

John to answer your question about the robes. After anyone reaches plat. they will firnish you robes.

Last year I reached Platinum with Princess, RCI, and Celebrity. However, I have not been able to sail on any cruise as a Platinum member yet. This cruise will be my first as an actual Platinum member.

Starting today we can officially say that we leave next month.

Paul, glad to hear that you had a great time in Egypt. Can't wait to hear all about it and get some tips from you.

Juan

Hello Everyone:

I thought that perhaps some of you out there may be interested in this type of information so here are the ships that will be in port the day we leave:

SHIP-------------------------LINE-------------------DEPARTS

Caribbean Princess------------Princess Cruises--------------5:00 PM

Costa Magica-----------------Costa Cruise Line-------------5:00 PM

Costa Mediterranea-----------Costa Cruise Line-------------9:00 PM

Jewel of the Seas-------------Royal Caribbean--------------4:00 PM

I'm into ships so I'm always interested in knowing what other ships are there when we are in port.

Regards, Juan

Hello All,

Is anybody aware of the location of the train station in LeHavre? We were thinking of taking the train into Paris but I can't find much information on this port city.

I've also obtained some price quotes for private car and driver. Pretty expensive. Cork airport taxi will provide a car and drive for 50 Euro per hour, holds 4 passengers. I got a quote from a company in France for a variety of full day tours for up to 8 passengers that range from 600 to 800 Euros--way pricey. In Belgium, we'll probably get a cab at the pier to take us into Brugges. England is up in the air. We don't know what we'll be doing there.

We're interested in any plans or information any of you may have considered.

Preparing for snow again tomorrow, April 15 can't come soon enough especially now that taxes are done!

Regards

Robert and Jerry

Hi Robert and Jerry:

As far as the location of "la gare" (train station) in Le Havre, it is not within walking distance of the pier. You will have to take a taxi at the pier and ask them to take you there. I do not know exactly how far it is from the pier but it is not within walking distance. There really isn't much of interest to the tourist in Le Havre. Much of the city was heavily bombarded during World War II. But it is not a small town. On your way out of the port, you might pass by the old pier where the S.S. France (later known as the Norway) used to dock.

I'm going to try to find a Le Havre city map online. If I find it, I'll post it here for you.

One reason for which all quoted prices seems so high is due to the unfavorable rate of exchange against the U.S. dollar. Presently we need $1.31 to buy 1 Euro. So something that costs 100 Euros is equal to $130. Ouch!

Juan

Juan Hugh again getting to be a short timer aren't you the train station in leHavre is a couple of miles from the cruise terminal on your way in to the city. the only way I know how to get there is by taxi (and you will find plenty at the pier) but essentially after leaving the pier, there is a left turn over a bridge or two and other piers and before you would make another left to go into the town center, the RR station is right there. Leo and I spent 3days there on the Norway in 1997 and have been back 3 times since. Never taken a train though. One of the nicest close in places is across the pont Normand to Honfleur a charming old medieval town with a fishing harbor cobblestone steets etc. going in to Paris is a very tiring day and leHavre itself is dullsville ugly city that was leveled during WWII and rebuilt in ugly grey concrete, but we have eaten lunch there just by taking the ship's shuttle. here is my home email if you need it leo2hugh@msn.com :)

Archived