Have you ever slept (overnight) on your balcony?

Leo Jay

My roommates slept out on the balcony one night. They just pulled the mattress and bedding off one of the beds and put it out on the balcony. In the morning, they drug everything back inside

My roommates were BF and GF by the way.

No and probably won't ever do it either. For one thing, we cruise the Caribbean and I prefer not to sleep in a humid environment. Second, while the sound of the ocean is nice, I've noticed lots of salt spray on the balcony after a few days. Don't care to sleep in that either.

My wife has warned me not to fall asleep out there. I suggested she chain my ankle to the railing rather than wake me up from my nap time :D.

I don't think I'd feel comfortable sleeping out there overnight, but to each his own. A mattress, however, seems a little ... uh ... "overboard" ;)

Absolutely! It is the only way to sleep on any ship. Of course it helps if you have the right stateroom class. HAL had the best deck chairs for this purpose.

Even in the Carib, when the vessel is at speed, you are very comfortable due to the aerodynamics.

The Old Fart

PS - I would not recommend it for the ladies unless they have a gentleman accompanying them. Crew from the lower decks are out and about performing some cleaning tasks when you would least expect them to be.

I woke up one morning and had a whole gang of little Ecuadorian lads scraping the paint on my verandah! They obviously thought my sleeping arrangements were very amusing because they had quite a laugh when I got up for my breakfast, which my steward had just delivered.

This is why your room steward will lock your balcony door every time he is in your room.

My roommates slept out on the balcony one night. They just pulled the mattress and bedding off one of the beds and put it out on the balcony. In the morning, they drug everything back inside

My roommates were BF and GF by the way.

I really don't think your roommates were just sleeping;) .

I sure did sleep on our balcony, and it was great! I simply stacked both lounge pads on one lounge, grabbed a beach towel for some cover, and slept like a baby with the gentle wind and sounds of the sea to lull me to sleep!

My DH had already fallen asleep in our bed in the cabin, but he came out to join me on the balcony in the other lounge at the crack of dawn.....we loved it and it was sooooooooooooo wonderful!!!

Richard and Janine :)

Besides the wrap around balcony- what balcony is big enough to hold a lounge chair?

Since we have the aft balconies its not a good idea to sleep out there- they turn a sprinkler on in the wee hours to hose off the balconies of sea spray.

dont the side ones get that too??

I had to sleep on the balcony for two nights! It was my first cruise and was not used to the air conditioned room, which gave me a sinus infection. The only relief was the hot,humid air of the Caribbean. It was perfect!

Then I figured out I could turn the AC down ,duh!:confused:

PS - I would not recommend it for the ladies unless they have a gentleman accompanying them. Crew from the lower decks are out and about performing some cleaning tasks when you would least expect them to be.

I woke up one morning and had a whole gang of little Ecuadorian lads scraping the paint on my verandah! They obviously thought my sleeping arrangements were very amusing because they had quite a laugh when I got up for my breakfast, which my steward had just delivered.

Yikes, I hadn't even thought about balconies that are visible/accessible from public areas of the ship. (Does Carnival have any of that type on any of their ships?). I meant regular balconies that look directly out onto the sea.

Yikes, I hadn't even thought about balconies that are visible/accessible from public areas of the ship. (Does Carnival have any of that type on any of their ships?). I meant regular balconies that look directly out onto the sea.
Dunno.

I also forgot to mention that you may experience some ash fallout from the stack(s) if you sleep on your balcony. I worked the GL for a long time, so ash, wind, rain are not an issue for me.

The only thing I did think hard about was whether or not some drunk would vomit on me! Positioned in the right place on the upper decks, someone could have showered me with what the kids these days call "chunkage"!

The Old Fart

My husband snores incessantly and does much better in a semi-reclined position. For the last three years he has slept out on the balcony for the entire cruise (unless it rains). He loves the sea and has spent many a night fishing all night so it's not anything he hasn't done before. He loves being out there.

I don't understand the purpose of dragging a mattress out there. Wouldn't this eventually ruin the mattress from being exposed to the moisture? The new Comfort Bed mattresses are kinda expensive. Would you drag the mattress off your bed outside and throw it on the ground to sleep on?

We were on the Destiny in May and my 20 year old son slep on the balcony every night. He took the big thick comforter off of the bed, laid it out there and a couple of pillows and he thought he was on a cloud. He loved it.

I don't understand the purpose of dragging a mattress out there. Wouldn't this eventually ruin the mattress from being exposed to the moisture? The new Comfort Bed mattresses are kinda expensive. Would you drag the mattress off your bed outside and throw it on the ground to sleep on?

I agree... I don't see taking the mattresses and comforters out there exposing them to the elements... But I guess the old "i paid for my cruise i'll do whatever i want" argument comes into play. With the new bedding I wouldn't even consider it, not that I would with any bedding, LOL.

Besides the wrap around balcony- what balcony is big enough to hold a lounge chair?

Spirit Class 6232, for example. It's next to a storage closet and an elevator shaft, and the balcony extends behind them. I'd think it would fit two lounge chairs comfortably.

I think everyone knows the purpose of dragging the mattress out on the balcony without going into details. That teak flooring is mighty hard on a body.

There were 4 of us sharing a cabin, and the couple that used the balcony were engaged and had just purchased their wedding rings in St. Thomas.

This was on the Pride in November of 2002 and they didn't have the new bedding system.

How to sleep on the verandah -

1. Deck chair of choice;
  2. Pajamas to match the weather;
  3. Small, lightweight flannel blanket (from home);
  4. Complimentary robe

I have never had a problem sleeping on the verandah and there is no issue regarding the "abuse" of the bedding. Personally, I would never drag the ship's property out onto the verandah. I want to make it very clear that, to me, that is akin to destroying someone else's property.

We are guests on these vessels. We must respect what we use and leave things nice for the guests who follow us.

The Old Fart

I think everyone knows the purpose of dragging the mattress out on the balcony without going into details. That teak flooring is mighty hard on a body.

There were 4 of us sharing a cabin, and the couple that used the balcony were engaged and had just purchased their wedding rings in St. Thomas.

This was on the Pride in November of 2002 and they didn't have the new bedding system.

i still dont think some of them get it.

but HAaHAha

"man i wonder why there's all that creaking noise on the balcony, must be mighty windy"

Archived