Question for Past Liberty WiFi users????

sbwmail

We are bringing along a laptop. How do we connect to AOL and be able to retrieve email from a company server? For business email we use Microsoft Outlook, which is already configured to the business email server. Do we have to do something special to retrieve either of these on this laptop?

We are bringing along a laptop. How do we connect to AOL and be able to retrieve email from a company server? For business email we use Microsoft Outlook, which is already configured to the business email server. Do we have to do something special to retrieve either of these on this laptop?

No, it works just like if you have high speed at home.

Your laptop needs to have Wifi, internally or externally.

AOL is not a problem. Your company mail should be. Are you normally able to connect to the office on other travels or from outside the office?

WiFi on cruise ships is not encrypted, so someone on the ship with nothing better to do (and some knowledge) could eavesdrop on you.

AOL not a problem, that is great news. Are you saying that retriving my company email, which I can do outside of my office presently, will be an issue onboard this ship? Will the ability to have WiFi on this ship be the same as if I was in an US airport with wireless capabilities?

The WiFi on the ship will be no different then the WiFi at an airport, your home, or the local Starbucks. Except for the speed, which on my last cruise wasn't that fast.

If you can access your AOL and business email from home and the airport, you can do it on the ship. Since you already have Outlook setup to authenticate and access the company email server, it will not be a problem.

AOL not a problem, that is great news. Are you saying that retriving my company email, which I can do outside of my office presently, will be an issue onboard this ship? Will the ability to have WiFi on this ship be the same as if I was in an US airport with wireless capabilities?

It could be.

How do your retrieve your biz email? Do you dial in, have vpn software, or?

Is this a small biz? As a general rule, it may not be good to have yor biz email server naked on the Internet.

Below is a copy from another post regarding the same question. It sounds like you already use OE for your business e-mails so just follow the instructions below:

vesw01 and Mooguy, you can use your Outlook Express. This will save you minutes by logging on, opening up OE and downloading your e-mail and then logging off. Once logged off you can read and reply before logging back on. I would suggest not attaching or downloading e-mail with pictures as it will take forever to download or send.

You will have to find out from the Internet Cafe what their Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server address is. Follow the instructions below to configure:

1. Open Outlook Express

2. Open the Tools Tab

3. Open the Accounts Tab

4. Click "Mail" tab and highlight the e-mail account you want to change.

5. Click on "Properties".

6. Click on "Servers" tab.

7. Enter the ships "SMTP" address in the Outgoing Mail Server window.

8. Uncheck the box that asks if your Outgoing Mail Server Requires Authentication. You may want to check with the Internet Cafe Manager on this as it is a little fuzzy whether it should be checked or uncheck.

9. Once this is all done click on Apply or OK.

10. Close all the windows including OE and then reopen when logged onto the ships Internet. OE will not work or connect unless you have logged on.

I hope this helps. It is real easy and quick to do and this way you won't have issues sending mail! Besides, it will save you money!

I have never had to make any changes to my mail client.

If you are trying to transfer any large files that will be hit and miss. The connections on the ship are not always the best.

Nor have I... My mail is configured to pull from my server, regardless of where I am... I use Outlook and have never had a problem.

I have never had to make any changes to my mail client.

If you are trying to transfer any large files that will be hit and miss. The connections on the ship are not always the best.

On our first cruise I did not change the SMTP address and had some of my replies come back. For some reason some went through. I found out if you do not want issues sending mail, it is good to change the SMTP address. Since I own a communications company that made sense but you can take your chances. They also suggest doing this at the Internet Cafe. Either way, it is simple to do and change back after the cruise.

Good luck and hope all the info you from us veteran cruise Internet users help!:D

It depends on the network which could be the notwork.

Receiving is not so much the issue as sending. Why some emails might go through and others not could be the server is set to only allow so many relay emails to go through per day.

Spammers love to find email servers with unlimited relay capacity.

Another option, is using Outlook Web Access if you are using Exchange... Our last cruise, we never lost cell service, so I just used web access on my pocket pc to do everything... we were even able to use PC Anywhere, although quite slowly :p LOL Anyway, just a thought.

Archived