what can you eat on the south beach diet?

dustyroad

:confused: what kinds of food are on the south beach diet compared to atkins? i admitt i have not looked in a book or anything to find out. but i know some of you here can help me :) .

i have been on the atkins diet for over a year and have gone from a size 16-18 to a size 8-10. i have gained back 15lbs because i found out '' i like and miss pasta and bread '' :eek: . so now i am back to watching closely what i eat and get more walking in. but after a while you do get tired of eating eggs, cheese, certain meats and diet jello. i would love to take in some fruit each day.

if the south beach is more flexable and has more variety i will buy a book and start that program. please give me some food items one can have.

thanks so much. ''trying to diet dusty''.

Hi "dusty",

I follow a mix between atkins and southbeach. The main difference is that after phase 1 South beach follows the glycemic index which allows more fruit, whole grains and much less fat. Even if phase 1 it's a much broader range of food including beans. (Good for me because I'm addicted to hummus! :eek: )

I'd suggest checking out http://www.prevention.com. They have excellent information about SB including the foods allowed in each phase. also further down the boards there's a southbeach forum with lots of people to help.

Tami

Congrats to you Dusty for losing the weight. I think SB is a much better "diet" than Atkins. You have the two week "cleansing" period, which is somewhat similar to Atkins excet there is a limit to the food tye and fat content. The 2 week eriod helps to rid you of the cravings for sweets. after 2 weeks, you do get to add fruits and almost all vegetables. Once you lose your weight, you learn to add some items back. the most important step is learning how your body responds to certain foods. I cannot eat pasta without fat flying onto my thighs. However, dairy (even ice cream) does not have that effect on me. BTW, the book is very easy to read. You could probably go to your local library to check it out. I wish you the best with it.

adoptmom and mimikins.

thanks so much for the info and the site. i will check it out. and especially thanks for the congrats and encouragement on all the weight i have lost and the upcoming 15 lbs i will be losing. i will check into this diet as a change of pase for dieting again. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, when most people think of Atkins they think of induction - the very strict period where you have no fruit, limited vegetables, no starch, etc. But Atkins is more than induction. Atkins has 4 phases and starting in the second phase you begin to add back many of those other items. The trick is to add then back slowly and in moderation. Atkins does not say NO carb. It says LOW carb.

I have not had the opportunity to read the South Beach Diet Book yet, but from what I have read on the web... South Beach and Atkins seem to be more similar than different. The only real difference I've heard about so far is how the two view fats and how much importance they put on the glycemic index. Though Atkins seemed to be putting more emphasis on this as time went on.

South Beach is the best diet I have ever been on. The first two weeks is a killer but after that it's all easy, I thought. I started it in the spring and lost 12 pounds in the first two weeks alone. I was in a car accident and fell off the program(what good is being alive if you can't celebrate with a big drippy burger and fries?) for a few weeks but am back on again and walking everyday and loving it. The trick is actually spending a lot of time one or tow days a week preparing all your food. I spend one afternoon cooking enough and prepping enough food to get me thru several days at work so I don't have any excuse to cheat. Invest in several sets of Glad containers and make yourself a little salad bar in your fridge. Make enough omelets for breakfast so that you can grab one on the go and nuke it at work if you don't have time to eat in the a.m. Take a case of water to work and leave it under your desk (or in your car so you always have a bottle with you). Good luck!

Bernie, I do exactly the same thing as you. My DH or I cook enough food at dinner for us to have leftovers for lunch the next day. We keep the Gladware on stock and put them in the frig after dinner. In the morning, we grab our lunch and go. We also prepare omelets or crepes the night-before for breakfast. I bring a book to work and eat and read in the breakroom. It keeps me from being tempted by the fast food places around town.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately, when most people think of Atkins they think of induction - the very strict period where you have no fruit, limited vegetables, no starch, etc. But Atkins is more than induction. Atkins has 4 phases and starting in the second phase you begin to add back many of those other items. The trick is to add then back slowly and in moderation. Atkins does not say NO carb. It says LOW carb.

I have not had the opportunity to read the South Beach Diet Book yet, but from what I have read on the web... South Beach and Atkins seem to be more similar than different. The only real difference I've heard about so far is how the two view fats and how much importance they put on the glycemic index. Though Atkins seemed to be putting more emphasis on this as time went on.

Ditto Synewton I get frustrated by people passing incorrect info and judgement. Most people I have found lately "doing it" haven't even bothered to read the book. Than they complain it doesn't work or the fat is to high, as they eat way to much cheese and high carb/fat meats. I've been on Atkins since 1/3/04 and have lost over 80 pounds, 17 in the first 17 days. I'm in phase 3 and don't see much differece in the two diets.

Melody

Ditto Synewton I get frustrated by people passing incorrect info and judgement. Most people I have found lately "doing it" haven't even bothered to read the book. Than they complain it doesn't work or the fat is to high, as they eat way to much cheese and high carb/fat meats. I've been on Atkins since 1/3/04 and have lost over 80 pounds, 17 in the first 17 days. I'm in phase 3 and don't see much differece in the two diets.

Melody

Melody,

I monitor both atkins and SB threads for the same reason. I haven't read all of SB yet but the main difference I have found is that beans are allowed in Phase 1 of SB but not in atkins until phase 2. Probably not a big deal to some but alot of difference if you're a hummus addict like me. :rolleyes: I worked hard to change my addiction from chocolate to hummus so I didn't want to give it up. Yes, I'm a dork but it works for me and keeps me from the "hershey habit" I had. Also full fat dairy (like cream) isnt' allowed in Phase 1 but is allowed in induction.

Tami

Tami

Melody,

I monitor both atkins and SB threads for the same reason. ... I worked hard to change my addiction from chocolate to hummus so I didn't want to give it up. Yes, I'm a dork but it works for me and keeps me from the "hershey habit" I had.

Tami, It sounds like a good healty swap to me:) I gave them up for four weeks. Now they DO seam as good as candy to me. I feel like I'm cheating, so it takes care of some of that need to be bad

Archived