Where is Best Seafood in Galveston, TX...

monakayk

:confused: Where is the best seafood restaurant in Galveston,TX?

We are arriving there early on Sat. before our cruise and really, REALLY want some great seafood. Not broil or steamed but good ole fried seafood....shrimp, clams, oysters, crab cakes, fish, etc. Ohhhhhhhh, and at moderate prices...so we can have a few 'brews' with our meal.

If you know the location or have the URL for their website...that would be greatly appreciated.

:o Thanks!:o

My mom cruises frequently out of Galveston and she is always talking about Gaido's Seafood Restaurant. I have heard great things about it. Look it up on the internet.....http://www.mytravelguide.com/restaurants/profile-40573905-United_States_Texas_Galveston_Gaidos_Seafood.html

I agree that Gaido's (pronounced "guy-doh's") has wonderful food. They are a bit pricey, though; those on a budget might consider Casey's Seafood Restaurant. It was also founded by the Gaido family. They opened it to offer a more casual atmosphere and a less expensive menu as an alternative to Gaido's.

But if you can swing Gaido's, go for it!

Either way, do enjoy some fried Gulf shrimp for me...mmmmm...is it lunch time yet? :D

That place that begins with a G everyone is talking about is very good, is a bit pricey but I've never sent anyone there that didn't like it. Last September, we ate at a place called Fish Tales that was quite good.

There are three places we like to eat seafood in Galveston. We live about a 30-40 minute drive from there and go often. The three places are(not in any special order) 1)Fish tales 2)Willie G's and 3) 21 st seafood restraunt.. Willie G's is a little expensive, but excellent seafood. the 21st st. pier restraunt is about 2-3 blocks down from the Carnival pier(on the same side of the street) It is very close to where the day charters go out of. They have excellent shrimp po-boys.

My vote goes to Fish Tales (on the seawall) or Fisherman's Wharf (near the cruise piers). Gaido's is very good but, as someone mentioned, a bit pricey in this market - those from other areas might not think so. I also hear good things about Casey's (next door to Gaido's and owned by the same family) but have not eaten there. If you have some time you could also travel up to the Kemah Boardwalk on Galveston Bay (+/-30 minutes) and enjoy the seafood at the Flying Durchman or the Aquarium.

What does everyone consider pricey? We'd love to have some seafood the night before our cruise. I would consider pricey anything over $10.00 per entree for a very casual seafood dinner (something a cut above Long John Silvers but very casual) and anything over $15.00 for a Red Lobster type casual restaurant (I know, horrors, a chain restaurant - just trying to get a point of reference). Anything more expensive than that I wouldn't even consider since we'll have the kids with us this time. We'd love to have a casual fish & chips or fried shrimp type meal (with a burger or chicken for my non-fish eating 12 year old) the Sunday night before our cruise but don't want to break the bank for the four of us. Also, are most places open Sunday evenings in the summer? My Galveston Fun Map (great map by the way, ordered it online) lists a place called "The Spot" that looks fun, anyone have any opinions on it?

Hi Mona K. I've noticed a few of your threads and see that you too are going on the Rhapsody soon from Galveston. We are going on our first cruise on this boat in November. Please write a review when you get back. Thanks!

Hi Mona K. I've noticed a few of your threads and see that you too are going on the Rhapsody soon from Galveston. We are going on our first cruise on this boat in November. Please write a review when you get back. Thanks!

:o Clarabell,

I will most certainly post a review of the ship and our trip when we get back home. I will most likely post it at my cruises' ROLL CALL. It is on this thread link below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=234951

So if yo want to keep up with several of us who are going on the Sept. 10th cruise....we all stated we would post our reviews when we get back over there.

:o Hope you have a great cruise in Nov.:o

..."We'd love to have some seafood the night before our cruise. I would consider pricey anything over $10.00 per entree for a very casual seafood dinner..."

I think Fish Tales would fit your price range for a casual seafood meal. They have a great upper level porch/deck with a view of the Gulf - ask for seating out there if the weather is at all pleasant.

The Spot is good for hamburgers and is also on the seawall and Casey's, next door to Gaido's on the seawall has good inexpensive seafood.

Fish Tales is on the seawall at about 25th. It's on the corner adjacent to the trolley line that runs to the Strand. They have an ice cream station right near the front door with yummy ice cream too. Unless the weather is really bad, be sure to ask to set on the upstairs deck, but please don't feed the sea gulls!

Hope you have a great time in Texas and a great cruise.

All the places mentioned are good choices, but one place I haven't heard mentioned yet is the Ocean Grille. If the weather is good, you can sit out on their deck, which is a pier that juts out over the shoreline. I will say that their fried seafood is not thier best stuff, but they make fantastic grilled fish dishes and their ceviche' is fantastic.

Also, for a pleasant sunset meal, the deck at Fisherman's Wharf is great, as is their food. the deck view is a little bit industrial (it is Galveston, not Miami or San Francisco), but the Elissa, one of the most perfectly restored 19th century sailing vessels around is docked right next to thier deck.

My other reccomendation is to stop by The Galvez Hotel for a a drink. the surroundings are elegant and historical. The drinks are good too.:D

Thanks for the info, Clearlake, I am really excited to be back in Texas again. I lived in San Antonio for 7 years but I haven't been back to Texas since 1984! Don't worry about us feeding the seagulls, we have plenty of them here in California, they are so bold on the beach they will walk right up and open your bag of chips if you don't hide it!:)

I have seen a number of responses that mention Gaido's. I have vacationed in Galveston and have also sailed from there. I wouldn't dream of visiting Galveston without having a meal at Gaido's. I love seafood and Gaido's is the best. I don't think it is too expensive.

Plenty of good restaurants..Keep in mind,a large number of them all belong to the Landry group,owned and operated by Tilman Fertitta..

The ones I can think of.

Landry's,Willy G's, Joes Crab Shack.Fishtales,the Rainforest the SteakHouse at the San Luis.the Outback,and I am sure I am missing a couple.

Gaidos is pretty good.But a little pricey...But overall a great choice for fried Seafood.

There are some good spots that he does not own that are just as good.

The Rainforest is the a lot of fun,with some good fried choices.

Fishtales has the best Shrimp Kisses I have ever had.And the best view

The restaurant at San Luis has a crab/alvocado/mango appetizer that I would almost give up my first born for.

Landrys to me is not worth anything but the location.

Willy G's has a very limited fried menu.

Joes Crab Shack can be fun..Also has some great appetizers and has some great specials.

The original Mexican Cafe is a great litte place speciaizing in Tex-Mex/seafood.Rudy and Pacos is probably the best for steak.

The Captains Table.Great view fun atmosphere.

In my honest opinion...They are all about equal...

Some have better/different ambiance etc..You really wont go wrong with each place you choose.

That place that begins with a G everyone is talking about is very good, is a bit pricey but I've never sent anyone there that didn't like it. Last September, we ate at a place called Fish Tales that was quite good.

I liked Fish Tales quite a bit. I didn't NOT like Gaido's but as I recall it was almost $30 for one of the combo meals, plus (alcoholic?) drink, and tip. There was a large amount of food (which doesn't impress me by itself), but the quality was probably about Joe's or Reb Lobster. I don't mind splurging, but there are just too many places I haven't tried yet to think I'll go back to Gaido's anytime soon. Might try Casey's though: if it's very similar for under $20 PP that would be a winner.

Archived