the ''' new dock ''' in ketchikan??

dustyroad

:confused: i am seeing 'the new dock' in ketchikan mentioned. does anyone know where it is located in ketchikan and how far away it is from the rain gaige and normal docking areas? i will be on the carnival spirit and am wondering if i will have to tendor. i have not had the experience of tendoring yet ( and i really would rather not ) and would like to know how to book tours if i have too. if anyone has just gotten back and know how the new dock is please let us know.

thanks alot.

There is no new dock in Ketchikan. Some ships actually dock while on others you need to tender. Even if you tender you are let off on the main dock and the rain gauge is in the middle of the dock. You can find out from Carnival if you will dock or tender. It all depends on how many ships, docking times, etc. Just got back and the Diamond Princess and a Holland America were docked while the Coral was anchored and then the Diamond left and the Radiance was docked. Tendering is easy and takes only a few minutes.

Check out this website http://www.kayakketchikan.com/2004portcalls_ketchikan.pdf to get an idea where you will be docking or tendering. There are basically 3 "docks" in Ketchikan, all from the same area. Dock 1, the main dock, Dock 1A , the new dock, and Dock 2 , the Tongass Store. They are all 3 at the same spot, Visitor Center downtown, just different positions on the dock.

thanks everyone and especially tadjr. i knew i had seen the new dock mentioned in kechikan. and it is good to know that i probably wont be tendering in junea either. i cant wait to go back again. and i saved the site so i can keep track of the carnival spirit next may.

It means anchoring offshore and taking the smaller boats or "Tenders" to the dock. Some ports dont have enough dock space to get all the ships right on the docks so this is the other option. Some ports like Grand Cayman dont have a cruiseship dock at all and all ships anchor offshore and tender people in on smaller boats (usually some of the lifeboats are used).

Archived