Pier situation?

taffy12

Just off the Carnival Glory, and we docked at a pier in Cozumel. It was a different one than the one we used two years ago, so I'm assuming the other two are still out of commission thanks to the hurricane? Also, near the beginning of our cruise, our captain said he was still trying to get us a pier in Cozumel, so we should cross our fingers... I'm not sure if he was kidding or not, as he sounded sincere, but shouldn't something like that have been planned in advance? And does anyone know why the Carnival Ecstacy anchored nearby instead of docking next to us?

You docked at International Pier unless they've got another one open in the last couple of days. International Pier has been back up and running for 3-4 months now, except it can only accept smaller ship and only on position is open for a ship to dock. RCCL ship usually use this Pier so it appears they are given preference to dock there first. Carnival had some issues with the Mexican government regarding unpaid port fees, so Carnival has got a later start on working on their Pier, according to the message boards. But either way consider yourself lucky you got to dock.

Glory always gets the pier when it is here every other Monday - your captain was joking...he knew months in advance. The Ecstasy tenders into SSA pier. The other 3 pier positions are getting close to completion so a total of 4 will be able to dock while we wait for the Carnival Corp. pier to be completed in about 2 years...that will open up another 4 positions.

Solita,

When will the other piers open? I am traveling on the Miracle and will be in Cozumel on Aug. 16th. I have asked before and I know that we are tendering, but I am just hoping that maybe there has been progress on the piers.

Thanks.

P.S. Congratulations on your new job.

Thanks for the good wishes. It is still up in the air about the new spots opening. It will be soonish. How is that for a techinical term? I will post aobut the piers as quickly as I hear.

I hate to bother you about this while in midst of your packing, but can you possibly clear something up for me.

You stated in another post that Rhapsody is alternating docking when Mariner is in port. Yet also mention that only the smaller ships can dock at the International pier. Is Mariner small enough to dock then? We are on Rhapsody Nov. 24th. RCI website still says Rhapsody is docked. However from what I gather from posts here, We will Tender. Can you be of help this one last time, or is it to far out to know for sure? I do understand there should be other spots open by then, but figure they will go to Carnival and/or other cruise lines.

Just off the Carnival Glory, and we docked at a pier in Cozumel. It was a different one than the one we used two years ago, so I'm assuming the other two are still out of commission thanks to the hurricane? Also, near the beginning of our cruise, our captain said he was still trying to get us a pier in Cozumel, so we should cross our fingers... I'm not sure if he was kidding or not, as he sounded sincere, but shouldn't something like that have been planned in advance? And does anyone know why the Carnival Ecstacy anchored nearby instead of docking next to us?

Okay, I'm new at all of this "cruise thing" and may ask a dumb question..so please be forgive me for asking this!

Okay, I'm going on a cruise on Jan. 22, 2007 on Carnival Ecstasy. I'm confused with docking and tendering..what exactly does that mean?? :confused:

I would like to know if we will be able to leave the ship and go into Cozumel and go snorkeling.

Sorry about the dumb question!

Okay, I'm new at all of this "cruise thing" and may ask a dumb question..so please be forgive me for asking this!

Okay, I'm going on a cruise on Jan. 22, 2007 on Carnival Ecstasy. I'm confused with docking and tendering..what exactly does that mean?? :confused:

I would like to know if we will be able to leave the ship and go into Cozumel and go snorkeling.

When"tendering" the ship anchors offshore, and you get on a smaller boat either from the Port, or some ships use their lifeboats to take you to shore.

The reason for all the confusion around this board is from Hurricane Wilma. All the piers were destroyed. They are getting them rebuilt, and at this time only one has reopened,hense all the questions about which ship docks and which tenders. By your arrival date they should have more piers open.

Either way, no worries, you will be able to get off the ship and snorkle...and shop...and shop....and shop some more....cn you tell I have a shopping addiction:D

Happy cruising to you....you will have a blast!

The only question that is dumb is the one that is never asked...so please ask any question you need to. Like CruiseMama said, there is plenty of time to get off the ship, to snorkel, to shop and to enjoy your day. Don´t be afraid to wonder around the island...it is very safe here. Have a great trip!

For our Sept 9th cruise there are only 2 ships in Cozumel the day we are there. Us (CB) and a Carnival ship.

since there is the ability for 2 ships to dock...will we possible get to dock instead of tendering??

thanks !!

:D

Well, as of right now, the Carib Princess is tendering. That is due to it´s size. The gangways do no line up in the area that is repaired at the pier. Like the others have said, the other 3 spots are expected to be open by October. But a date is not firm yet. The closer it gets, the more better the idea.

Glory always gets the pier when it is here every other Monday - your captain was joking...he knew months in advance. The Ecstasy tenders into SSA pier. The other 3 pier positions are getting close to completion so a total of 4 will be able to dock while we wait for the Carnival Corp. pier to be completed in about 2 years...that will open up another 4 positions.

Solita,

Sorry to keep asking the same kind of questions. But, I am not clear on this. Can 2 ships dock? We will be in Coz on July 31 on the Ecstacy and I noticed that the Glory will also be there. One more question. What is the SSA pier? We were there pre Wilma and got off at the Carnival area. Thanks for answering all these questions you are a great asset for all of us who get almost as much enjoyment out of researching and planning for the cruise. Notice I said almost.:D

Archived