Conde Nast and NCL

smeyer418

I subscribe to most of the travel magazines. When I first started cruising I paid some attention to their ratings - now I do not! I do think that advertising plays a large part in the ratings. Remember that not everyone who fills in these questionaires has been on all the ships and they are influenced by the ads in the magazines they subscribe to. I have traveled most major lines from Crystal to Carnival and choose based upon where they are going and the ship. I really like NCL and have been on both the Crown and Spirit -- the Crown for the itinerary and the Spirit for the ship.

The Donald is one heck of a businessman. . .don't kid yourself, he probably owns tons of stock in NCL. He most likely believes that Free Style is the wave of the future in cruising. . .and slowly but surely, I think it will become the "norm" in cruising also. But getting back to the article, isn't another reason people cruise NCL, besides "freestyle" is that it gives good value for the dollar? There is nothing wrong with that. . .jmo

I agree with you totally!

Sort of like the book ranking cruise lines that knocks NCL (and others) for not providing a proper fish knife and fork in the dining room. I'm sure they do in the Queen's Grill, but you pay a pretty penny to use it.

Does the average person even know what a fish knife looks like?

Thanks Tom, obviously Seahorse and I sell the same way. Sure, I admit, for me NCL is number one, because of my lifestyle, but this isn't for everyone. I did have a client recently that wanted a panama Canal (acutally around the canal) cruise on MSC. I asked them if they knew anything about the line; they had done some research, knew it wasn't the type of cruiseline they usually used and had to be happy with an inside cabin. These are seasoned cruisres and they wanted the particular itinerary. I am happy they know what they are doing and am sure they will have a great cruise. NMNita

Thanks, I agree with you. As much as I'm looking forward to NCLA I agree that it probably isn't for everyone. Afterall if I were booking senior citizens I wouldn't be talking about the water slide, bungie jumping or the disco on ships like NCL or Carnival.:eek: :D Something like Seaborn may be more appropriate for them.:)

I believe I read where NCL did pay for that spot. If I recall right, it was $1,000,000.

Also, I have read where some agent have had some much trouble with NCL that they refuse to book with NCL. It is a customer service issue as I understand it. Of course everyone has trouble with someone. There is a well known high tech company I will no longer deal with. Again, it is a customer service issue (their products are good). And while I am complaining about their customer service, they are winning awards for - you guessed it, customer service (go figure).

I belive you and that doesn't surprise me. The whole show was centered around that NCL segment, not just Donald's speech.

It's all about the advertisers. Pay to play. (I work in that business by the way) That's what's great about these boards, you have to take the wheat with the chaff, but in the end it's real people talking.

I enjoy Celebrity, Holland America and NCL. And I'd probably enjoy more if I had the time and the money!

Although I have sailed with Cunard, I wasn't impressed. I am an outside TA and suspect that many agencies will not book with NCL because it takes FOREVER for an agent to answer the phone. In the past three days, I have spent at least 5 hours on hold (not at one time, but collectively) waiting for an agent to answer. And when one answers, she/he doesn't always have the answer to the question I am asking. NCL's customer service is awful, but its cruise personnel are very professional.

NCL does have a separate dining room for formal evenings for those who choose to "dress up" and I have noticed that many people choose to do that. It is nice to have choices. When we cruise NCL, we have chosen to do so because of the itinerary, price, and freestyle cruising.

I would never tell a client not to cruise NCL unless that client wants "top cabin cruising", and I have TA friends who refuse to sell NCL b/c they have heard terrible things. Well, I have heard terrible things about every cruise line out there, including the one I sailed on that went bankrupt the day we returned to port (the food was awful, the service was awful, blah blah blah, but the itinerary was absolutely fabulous, and it was cheap so we went in with no great expectations - and have had great stories to tell ever since!).

So there:)

I am one of the many NCL loyalists here, so I too was alittle disappointed with Conde's coverage on this topic. But then again, just like these boards, I didn't take this article too seriously. And, I really don't think NCL is worried that - as a result of this magazine - they will be sailing with empty ships.

Although I have sailed with Cunard, I wasn't impressed. I am an outside TA and suspect that many agencies will not book with NCL because it takes FOREVER for an agent to answer the phone. In the past three days, I have spent at least 5 hours on hold (not at one time, but collectively) waiting for an agent to answer. And when one answers, she/he doesn't always have the answer to the question I am asking. NCL's customer service is awful, but its cruise personnel are very professional.

NCL does have a separate dining room for formal evenings for those who choose to "dress up" and I have noticed that many people choose to do that. It is nice to have choices. When we cruise NCL, we have chosen to do so because of the itinerary, price, and freestyle cruising.

I would never tell a client not to cruise NCL unless that client wants "top cabin cruising", and I have TA friends who refuse to sell NCL b/c they have heard terrible things. Well, I have heard terrible things about every cruise line out there, including the one I sailed on that went bankrupt the day we returned to port (the food was awful, the service was awful, blah blah blah, but the itinerary was absolutely fabulous, and it was cheap so we went in with no great expectations - and have had great stories to tell ever since!).

So there:)

sorry, I too am an independent contracter agent and taking a long time to answer has nothing to do with why agents don't book NCL; almost, without exception it seems to be AAA that has the problems and I feel certain that has to do with advertising. There are a few others who don't like selling NCL, but I know lots that don't like selling Carnival or RCI for that matter. You mention taking a long time to answer the phone, how many times do you book via the phone? Unless I am looking for a special discount or using certificates I book via the computer and our company connection. I have never had to wait for a reservations agent, guest services, sometimes. The exception would be during weather problems. This is something none of us know about as we are never quite sure where we are calling. Even customer service, when I have had a problem as soon as I get in touch with someone I ask to have a supervisor return my call. I can not think of a time in almost 10 years they have not returned my call. The biggest problem I have seen; lousy sales reps sometimes. We had one in Texas that was a sweet as she good be and totally out of it most of the time. Normally if I do have problems I can go to the sales rep for answers, not in this case.

As for not selling a brand, I agree with you. I am not crazy about the customer service at Orient (under the NCL blanket btw) but I have clients that love the itinerary so I book them if requested. Believe it or not, Princess is the line I have had the most customer service problems with, but I have a number of clients who would sail the line 10 times a year if they could afford it.

A couple more things: I don't think NCL has the formal versus casual dining rooms anymore for formal optional nights, I could be wrong but they haven't on our last 2 cruises. As for the lines that have gone belly up: I know what you mean. If you are referring to Primere, I was just about to take my first fam trip on them when they ended. I did have one problem with them: they owed our company close to a million dollars> I don't think we ever collected. I say we: shortly after that we moved to NM so I really don't know for certain. We also loved Commodore: again cheap and fun. As long as you know what you are getting before you sail, they shouldn't be a bad cruise. It is up to agents to know all they can about a line and a ship. NMNita

My computer has been down for a few days. (it didn't like a new program that I loaded in so it locked up...lol) I have several comments.

As for not selling a brand, I agree with you. I am not crazy about the customer service at Orient (under the NCL blanket btw) but I have clients that love the itinerary so I book them if requested. Believe it or not, Princess is the line I have had the most customer service problems with, but I have a number of clients who would sail the line 10 times a year if they could afford it.

Nita knows that I respect her and this is not a slight on her but an example. My TA has been trying to push us toward Princess because their personal choice dining is similar to Freestyle and she also says that she thinks Princess has the best customer service of any line. She also dislikes RCCL because she says they treat everybody like just a number and not as people. Nita, however dislikes Princess due to Customer Service. Just like on these boards: people have different opinions based on different experiences.

A couple more things: I don't think NCL has the formal versus casual dining rooms anymore for formal optional nights, I could be wrong but they haven't on our last 2 cruises.

We did a survey of passengers earlier this year on this board and found that no NCL or NCLA ship reserves a dining room only for formally dressed passengers. You can go to ANY restaurant on the optional formal night dressed in resort casual.

I do agree, Freestyle will slowly begin appearing on the other lines as more and more people experience it.

I just went into my local AAA office today to purchase discount tickets for an upcoming trip. (this was in Central Ohio like Bookdoctor). I had read this thread so I decided to test it out. Since you can no longer just walk up to the counter for tickets and have to wait for a "customer serivice rep" and go to their desk, I was one on one with someone. I casually asked about when the best time to book cruises for next summer was and the lady said: "the earlier the better." She asked what I was thinking and I said "Maybe Alaska or Hawaii on NCL." She quickly said: "oh, you don't want NCL, they have really gone downhill and their new system is not 'true cruising." Should have seen the look on her face when I replied: "I have been on 5 NCL cruises and love Freestyle and think is the future of cruising." She didn't know what to say! (quite funny)

But it does prove that at least some AAA agencies are actually talking down NCL whether it be because of commissions or Freestyle.

My computer has been down for a few days. (it didn't like a new program that I loaded in so it locked up...lol) I have several comments.

Nita knows that I respect her and this is not a slight on her but an example. My TA has been trying to push us toward Princess because their personal choice dining is similar to Freestyle and she also says that she thinks Princess has the best customer service of any line. She also dislikes RCCL because she says they treat everybody like just a number and not as people. Nita, however dislikes Princess due to Customer Service. Just like on these boards: people have different opinions based on different experiences.

We did a survey of passengers earlier this year on this board and found that no NCL or NCLA ship reserves a dining room only for formally dressed passengers. You can go to ANY restaurant on the optional formal night dressed in resort casual.

I do agree, Freestyle will slowly begin appearing on the other lines as more and more people experience it.

I just went into my local AAA office today to purchase discount tickets for an upcoming trip. (this was in Central Ohio like Bookdoctor). I had read this thread so I decided to test it out. Since you can no longer just walk up to the counter for tickets and have to wait for a "customer serivice rep" and go to their desk, I was one on one with someone. I casually asked about when the best time to book cruises for next summer was and the lady said: "the earlier the better." She asked what I was thinking and I said "Maybe Alaska or Hawaii on NCL." She quickly said: "oh, you don't want NCL, they have really gone downhill and their new system is not 'true cruising." Should have seen the look on her face when I replied: "I have been on 5 NCL cruises and love Freestyle and think is the future of cruising." She didn't know what to say! (quite funny)

But it does prove that at least some AAA agencies are actually talking down NCL whether it be because of commissions or Freestyle.

Good for you: I can imagine the look on her face. It seems to me a better coment by her would have been: if freesyle is what you want, have you thought about Princess, they have a similar program. Then let you take it from there. As for her experience and mine; the worst customer service I have ever had and it happened again recently has been with Princess. I guess it is just the luck of the draw. About a month or so ago I was making a reservation with HAL. It was a promo so couldn't be booked on line: the agent wanted to know the country code for New Mexico. I imformed her NM was in the USA; her answer, I know that but it's the new part of Mexico. This is not a blond joke, but sure could be huh? I am convinced most cruise line reservations agents have never even seen a ship in person: unfortunitely this goes for some TAs as well. LOL again. Nita

Spare me from "true cruising," also known as summer camp for grown-ups.

Surely you don't need too much help to be spared from 'true cruising' just don't book on any of the lines that offer it. Leave those lines for people who enjoy traditional cruising and book yourself onto freestyle or 'anytime' dining type ships.

Personally, I'm glad that there are different kinds of cruise experiences available out there so people can choose the style that suits them best. I don't feel the need to have everybody like the same things I do or to make derogatory comments about the types of cruising that aren't my top favorite.

Surely you don't need too much help to be spared from 'true cruising' just don't book on any of the lines that offer it. Leave those lines for people who enjoy traditional cruising and book yourself onto freestyle or 'anytime' dining type ships.

Personally, I'm glad that there are different kinds of cruise experiences available out there so people can choose the style that suits them best. I don't feel the need to have everybody like the same things I do or to make derogatory comments about the types of cruising that aren't my top favorite.

So for expressing an opinion I get scolded by someone who always gets upset when someone scolds someone else for expressing an opinion. Figures. I clearly see two faces in my computer screen.

I am convinced most cruise line reservations agents have never even seen a ship in person: unfortunitely this goes for some TAs as well. LOL again. Nita

How true this Nita. When I chat with any reservationists I always like to ask them if they have "been there". It absolutely amazes me how many have not experience their product. Their answer is always.."I would like to some day.":eek:

HEY TOMLUVSADIA....Reference you comments #29......Do you think all senior citizens are in rocking chairs...:confused: ...Honest, we're not.......I love to Water slide, Bungi Jump,any many other things, including the Disco.....And most of us that drink can hold our own thank you..... ;) ... just don't want you to count the seniors out....after all you may become one of us someday.....:D ..Oh by the way ...I am 72....and still work.....(because I want to, not have to...)......

till we all sail again...jus' me...jim...the velvet teddy bear :cool:

HEY TOMLUVSADIA....Reference you comments #29......Do you think all senior citizens are in rocking chairs...:confused: ...Honest, we're not.......I love to Water slide, Bungi Jump,any many other things, including the Disco.....And most of us that drink can hold our own thank you..... ;) ... just don't want you to count the seniors out....after all you may become one of us someday.....:D ..Oh by the way ...I am 72....and still work.....(because I want to, not have to...)......

till we all sail again...jus' me...jim...the velvet teddy bear :cool:

Good for you!!!!: This obviously doesn't apply to you. I guess this should be directed at a group of people (seniors and non-seniors) that are looking for a more sedate and formal cruse experience. The point is there are different cruses available for different tastes, you just have to pick what suits yours. I by the way am 57 and have a 28 y.o. fiance so I'm not ready for a rocking chair either.....on the other hand with both of us in it at the same time it could be a whole lot of fun!!!! :p

Archived