Do you tip for cave tubing!!??

artt

We are planning to go cave tubing with Yhony in August. We are looking at our budget. Do most of you tip at the end of the tour?!! Don't want to look cheap, just wondering what most have done!!

Thanks.

We tipped each person a couple of dollars. I don't know what the going rate is but they will appreciate anything that you want to give. Our guide in Calica said that they made $2 a day in wages. I would hate to try to live on that. I put $73 worth of gas in my truck this morning. OUCH!

When we went with Yhony last month they collected the money on the trip back while on the bus. They made one pass for the tour $$ and one for tips. I can't remember if we tipped them $10 or $20 total for the two of us. I wasn't paying too much attention, but it seemed like most people were giving them tips. They really do work hard at giving you a great tour.

The guide that navigated our group of tubes didn't speak english and stayed behind at the park, so we also slipped him a few $$ before we left.

John

Hello:

I am not one to tell people what to do with their money, but tipping is definitely appropriate. We did cave tubing with Yhony last month and had a great time. All of the tour guides worked their butts off to make the trip a great experience. They were all friendly and answered all of our questions about life in Belize and the history of the country. We tipped $20.00 for me, my wife and daughter.

• 2 weeks later...

Most tour providers pay their employees the same way cruise lines and restaurants do: employees have to rely on tips to make most of their money.

As our tour guide in Belize explained to us two weeks ago, gasoline is $5.25 (U.S.) a gallon for regular in Belize.

We don't realize it here, but many Caribbean countries have such a problem with their trade imbalances that they charge heavy customs duties on imports to discourage importation of foreign goods.

Refrigerators and air conditioners, for example, cost a fortune for Jamaicans (much more than here), because they must all be imported. Few Caribbean countries make their own consumer goods, and unlike the U.S. they deliberately try to minimize imports by making them more expensive through heavy customs taxes.

It isn't necessarily cheaper to live in paradise.

Archived