Berlin or Oslo

SNMK

I noticed many of the itineraries through the Baltic Sea/Russia visit either Oslo or Berlin (but not both). Because I would like to see as much of Eastern Europe as possible (via a cruise), I am leaning towards the 10-day Princess cruise on Star Princess (this itinerary makes a stop in Poland). The reviews (which are so very helpful) seem to cover itineraries with Oslo moreso than with Berlin. Can anyone share their advice/opinions on taking the itinerary w/ Berlin vs. the itinerary w/ Oslo?

Also, Princess has sailings at the end of June and July. Can anyone share the pros/cons of traveling at either time (I have heard that you want to avoid August because of folks on holiday but I was not sure of this)?

Thank you!

We just returned from Holland America Rotterdam Vikings and Czars cruise that took us to both Oslo and Berlin. We were very happy to see both places. If I had the choice between the 2 ports, I would pick Berlin. It's a very interesting city with much history. It was a 3 hour train ride from the port of Warnemunde. Our cruise was from July 4-July 16. The weather was warm in each port, although I know it can be unpredictable at that time of the year. We loved the ship and the itinerary.

Remember that you don't actually dock in Berlin - it's a 3-hour (each way) train ride away from the port, hardly conducive to a leisurely tour. In Oslo, you'll dock right underneath the Akershus Fortress.

08W_8164-medium.jpg

Berlin deserves more than the 3-5 hours you might have to see it when on cruise, while 3-5 hours should be sufficient for Oslo.

It's also a lot easier to get to Berlin thru land-based touring, I'd expect.

I just returned recently from a Princess cruise that included a stop in Warnemunde for Berlin. It is a three-hour train ride each way and I thought it was worth it! I took the Elite tour which was a little more expensive but worth it. We had a wonderful guide. I'm very bad at understanding people who speak English with an accent and I had no trouble understanding her at all. We had been told the train would not be air-conditioned, but it was - at least our car was. I don't know about the other cars. I had never been to Berlin and probably will never get there any other way, so for me the day was worth it. The two days in St. Petersburg were the best part of the trip. Berlin was the next best.

I would pick Oslo over Berlin because I also believe that Berlin is not a good option for a day trip. But many passengers are happy with the trek to Berlin and back from Warnemunde or Rostock, so it's all personal preference. When we docked in Rostock last year, we visited Lubeck and Wismar via the German train system (had already spent time in Berlin) and very much enjoyed that option. I love the scenic cruising in and out of Oslo.

But I STRONGLY recommend that you consider another cruise line because Princess does not sail in and out of the Swedish archipelago, and this is a huge hit with passengers. I've had the pleasure of sailing in and out twice, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. It's just wonderful scenery and a great addition to a Baltics cruise. Princess docks in a city that is an hour by train from Stockholm, and losing time in that wonderful port is a big minus too.

Have a great trip,

Donna

But I STRONGLY recommend that you consider another cruise line because Princess does not sail in and out of the Swedish archipelago, and this is a huge hit with passengers. I've had the pleasure of sailing in and out twice, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. It's just wonderful scenery and a great addition to a Baltics cruise. Princess docks in a city that is an hour by train from Stockholm, and losing time in that wonderful port is a big minus too.

I'll second that. Stockholm is, architecturally, a much more interesting city than either Oslo or Helsinki - or St. Petersburg, for that matter (it's what's inside the buildings that matters there) - and it's a toss-up with Copenhagen. Cruising the archipelago is very much like cruising Alaska's inside passage, but slightly more developed. In fact, it's a lot like the area around Sitka but with 100x more islands!

Guest LetMeGo

As wonderful as the one-and-a-half-hour sail through the archipelago is, it's not really the main attraction in Stockholm... There's plenty of other things to see. If you have tried other cruise lines and prefer Princess, I wouldn't recommend the change just for this reason.

And to get back to your original question, it depends on whether you are going to visit Europe again on a later date. If you're here only once, Berlin would get my vote over oslo anyday.

But if you are thinking of doing a contintal tour in the future, Oslo is the one you should choose now because you wouldn't need to spend more than one afternoon there.

August is apparently the traditional holiday time around Germany, but in the Nordic / Baltic countries it doesn't really matter that much. Eespecially since you will mostly see foreign tourists around the major sights anyway. :D

I very much appreciate everyone's input. Your experiences are very helpful, and I am re-thinking the itinerary. Can anyone suggest a cruise through the Swedish archipelago (I don't know which cruiselines sail through here) that also visits a decent number of Eastern European countries (and that is not 13+ days long)? Thanks again!

To add some more detail, I am trying to plan a family vacation (10 people ranging in age from 4 to 76), and I've selected a Baltics/Russia cruise because my Mom has wanted to visit Eastern Europe, and I thought a cruise would be "easy" for everyone while giving everyone a "taste" of this area. I have been trying to find a cruise that is less than or equal to 13 days long and that visits Russia and Poland at a minimum. From my research, Princess seems to be the only itinerary I could find with both countries. I did not realize Berlin was three hours away from the port, and I am discouraged by that. I also did not know that Princess docks an hour from Stockholm which is discouraging as well. If anyone can give me some suggestions on cruiselines/itineraries to research, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again!

I think Princess is the only cruise line that docks so far outside Stockholm. We were on the Constellation last year and docked about a 20-30 minute walk from the edge of Gamla Stan, which is the old town, and the ferry stations that take you to the Vasa Museum and to Skansen (Skansen is my favorite in Stockholm).

My favorite Baltics itinerary is on Oceania. Oceania has a 3-day port stop in St. Petersburg as compared to the 2-day port call that most ships have there. That is a huge plus. Also, Oceania sails the Kiel Canal and calls at Bruges, which is one of my favorite places in Europe (and we've been to a lot of places in Europe), as well as the ports that you previously listed. However, the Oceania sailings are 14 nights, so I don't think that will work for you based on your messages.

I think you are looking for 2007 cruises, right? Costa has an 11-night sailing on August 27, 2007 that fits your criteria, but be warned that Costa is not for everyone. I would recommend that you do some research on that cruise line in Europe prior to booking. My hesitation would be that you can book another sailing for 14 nights for less $$ than Costa that would be on a nicer ship with amenities that American passengers are accustomed to. My husband and I have sailed Costa and would sail Costa again, but we don't recommend that to everyone. I don't know about your price range, but Crystal has an 11-night sailing on July 18, 2007 that calls in Poland and also has 3 nights in St. Petersburg. All of the other sailings that I see in my search (Holland America Prisendam, Celbrity Constellation) that call at Poland and at St. Petersburg are 14 nights. Maybe another board member will see another option for you. Princess may be the best option for you in your circumstances if you have to limit to a 10-night cruise, but as previously noted, I don't think they have the best itinerary. Also, I don't know where the board member from Finland is getting his/her information, but the scenic sailing into and out of the archipelago is a lot longer than 1.5 hours each way via cruise ship (the cruise ships travel really slow, and that's great for viewing all the island and summer homes) and receives rave reviews from all the passengers on board the two sailings that I've been on in the Baltics.

I hope you'll book a private tour in St. Petersburg because it will really add to your experience, but you'll see lots of great information on these boards to help you after you select a sailing.

Donna

Guest LetMeGo
Also, I don't know where the board member from Finland is getting his/her information, but the scenic sailing into and out of the archipelago is a lot longer than 1.5 hours each way via cruise ship (the cruise ships travel really slow, and that's great for viewing all the island and summer homes) and receives rave reviews from all the passengers on board the two sailings that I've been on in the Baltics.

He gets his information from his memory... I've sailed from Helsinki to Stockholm (and vice versa) about four times. I might not remember it correctly, and it might take longer for ships that are not used to sailing there every single day of the year... :p

My point still stands though, that there isn't that much to actually see or photograph in the archipelago. It's an experience, not a tourist sight, if that makes any sense anybody :confused:.

I just finished sailing on the Star Princess on the Oslo version cruise. I chose this one because I felt that getting to Oslo was much harder than getting to Berlin--so best to do it via cruise ship. Using Princess for Oslo has a few tradeoffs, though. The ship only stays there for half a day, and then sails back to Copenhagen. If you took the Berlin version, you get a full day there plus additional time in Denmark (vs the extra sea day on the Oslo itinerary).

Everyone's reply is very helpful, and I am most appreciative. Thank you!

To MGIZMO: I like your thought process in selecting the Oslo itinerary over the Berlin itinerary. Did you find the half day in Oslo to be sufficient? Also, what were your thoughts on Gdansk (Gdynia) Poland? Since there are few under 12-night itineraries to Poland, I am curious to know if you felt this stop in Poland was worth it. Thanks!

My point still stands though, that there isn't that much to actually see or photograph in the archipelago. It's an experience, not a tourist sight, if that makes any sense anybody :confused:.
Oh I disagree! We took at least 60 photos that we saved, everyone who has seen them has commented on the beautiful scenery, and there were many passengers out on the decks doing the same (we were on our balcony for the sail in in 2005). In fact, some of our fellow passengers had a memory card failure and asked us specifically to send photos of that area. It's very scenic. Sorry, but I think you're in the minority on this one. There are too many positive comments to count on these boards for the scenic sailing into and out of the archipelago. It was at least 2.5 - 3 hours in and out for us on the Constellation, and we went to back of the ship for the sail out because we didn't get to see the scenery on the starboard side on the way in in 2005.

Happy travels to all,

Donna

It really depends on what you want to do in Oslo. We had a longer port stop in 2003 and went to the Viking Ship Museum, the Norwegian Folk Museum (those two are on the same part of the peninsula), and I did a Frommers walking tour and shopped while my husband went to the Norwegian Resistance Museum, which is in the fort right next to where the ship docks. When we returned in 2005 on the Constellation, we had a short port stop from 8 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. or something like that, and we went to Vigeland sculpture park and toured the fort more extensively. I haven't been to Gdansk (was on our itinerary but then Celebrity changed our itinerary) so can't comment on that.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Guest LetMeGo
Sorry, but I think you're in the minority on this one. There are too many positive comments to count on these boards for the scenic sailing into and out of the archipelago.

Oh well, what would life be if we all agreed on everything... :D

It must be the proximity, and the fact that the practically same archipelago continues all the way to Finland.

Oh well, what would life be if we all agreed on everything... :D

It must be the proximity, and the fact that the practically same archipelago continues all the way to Finland.

Yes, I remember some very nice scenery outside Helsinki too. And then I took one of those boat rides in the harbor in Helsinki that goes past Sulmelina (sp?) fort and the submarine, and that was nice too.

Donna

An itinerary that promises a trip to Berlin but consumes six hours of your port time just getting there doesn't do it for me. I'd opt for Oslo, since it's a beautiful city and the city is a short walk from the cruise ship pier. Plus, Oslo isn't as easy to get to as Berlin from the States, and sailing up the Oslofjord is quite a view - especially passing the historic Oscarsborg Fortress (where the heroic Norwegian coast defense forces sunk a brand new **** heavy cruiser with a 50-year old cannon).

If you really want to see Eastern Europe, I'd recommend a Danube River cruise (either that, or a bus/plane land-based tour). A Baltic cruise with one stop in St. Pete's and one in Poland doesn't really constitute an Eastern European tour - and most of the cruise lines don't market their cruises as such. Instead, they call their cruises "Scandanavian Splendors," "Scandanavian Serenade," the "Best of the Baltic," or some other northward orientation.

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed many of the itineraries through the Baltic Sea/Russia visit either Oslo or Berlin (but not both). Because I would like to see as much of Eastern Europe as possible (via a cruise), I am leaning towards the 10-day Princess cruise on Star Princess (this itinerary makes a stop in Poland). The reviews (which are so very helpful) seem to cover itineraries with Oslo moreso than with Berlin. Can anyone share their advice/opinions on taking the itinerary w/ Berlin vs. the itinerary w/ Oslo?

Also, Princess has sailings at the end of June and July. Can anyone share the pros/cons of traveling at either time (I have heard that you want to avoid August because of folks on holiday but I was not sure of this)?

Thank you!

Oslo is very nice,

but ....

what I saw and learned in Berlin cannot even begin to compare to Oslo.

We did a private tour into Berlin.

Oslo is a beautiful city with lots of really interesting things to see (IMHO) and it's very easy to get to the many attractions on your own. Even if you have a full day there, you can't do Oslo justice and will have to be selective about visiting the places that interest you most (unless, of course, you want to do drive by/stop and take a picture type tour just to say you've been there). If you are only there for a "short port", you'll be even more limited in what you can see. If a cruise stop is likely to be the only time you'll ever be in Oslo, I'd avoid one that doesn't give you a full day there.

The sail into or out of the city via Oslofjord is also well worth seeing - especially the hour and a half or so furthest into the fjord = closest to the city.

Do be aware, however, that, although this approach to the city is a fjord in definition and name, it isn't one of the spectacular mountain-sided fjords like Geiranger that you see in tourist brochures. I mention this just in case you are thinking that, by including Oslo, you'll have the opportunity to experience the incredible Norwegian fjord scenery.

Just back from the Constellation itinerary which had Oslo on the next to last full day. I took the 5 hour Viking Heritage tour to see the Viking ships museum, Norwegian Outdoor museum, Ski jump, and Vigeland Sculpture Garden. A full tour (including impromptu rain storm!), with inside visits long enough to see most of the exhibits and the two outside sights to enjoy some fresh air and beautiful views. For $59., including all admissions, it was a good value. The fjord entry into the city is nice, but shorter than the Stockholm one, which we did first.

Having spent 8 days in Berlin/Leipzig/Dresden last October, I agree with others who advise choosing Oslo (or Gdansk/Klipaedia, etc.) over Berlin for a cruise stop. With your group's wide range of ages/stamina/interests, more than 2 days in St. Petersburg is probably too much--it has an overwhelming array of mostly "intellectual" sights.

I wonder if you might be happier to let an experienced travel agent help you plan the mechanics of the trip--you probably have multiple flight and cabin requirements which a good agent could negotiate with airlines/cruise companies.

It is a wonderful part of the world to visit, but a shorter cruise probably has fewer sea days to help you recover from all the intensive port stops!

We just got back from out trip on the Rotterdam which visited Berlin and Oslo. We enjoyed both ports.

We took the ship train to Berlin. There was help on the train to tell those on their own how to get around. Then we took the free tour by newberlintours.com which is at 11am and 1:00pm. Look at their web site. You tip the guide who was one of the best guides I have ever had. We thought we were going to miss it because we arrived at 11:20, but they were just starting under the Brandenburger Tor. It is a walking tour! The guides wear red shirts with newberlin on them. Please don't miss Berlin. It was the highlight of our trip. Some others took the public train which was cheaper to Berlin from Warnemunde and they had no trouble. Everyone on our ship that took a tour of Berlin was very happy. A few that did Berlin on their own were disappointed. You really need to find a tour. You miss so much if you don't.

Oslo-when we got off the ship, we bought the Oslo card and we bought the on-off bus ticket. It was a busy day. I loved seeing the "scream" and I loved Vigeland Park. Yes, I got my picture with the crying baby! We saw all the major ship museums and others and ended back at the Resistance Museum which was interesting. By then I was tired!

Good luck

Archived