British Colonial Hilton ???

CruisinCandy10

Dh & I will be on Carnival's Celebration in early September. Only have a few hours in port. Can anyone tell me about The British Colonial Hilton.

How far of a walk from port? Is this doable? Do they have public beach access at the hotel or close to it. If so, is the beach pretty? We were in Nassau many years ago( 20+) and enjoyed Pardise Island and Cable Beach. Don't care about water sports or lying in the sun. Would like to walk a little in more seculeded areas, maybe sit under shade and just enjoy the beautiful beaches, water and sand that we remember from many years ago.

Thanks for any info, Candy

Dh & I will be on Carnival's Celebration in early September. Only have a few hours in port. Can anyone tell me about The British Colonial Hilton.

How far of a walk from port? Is this doable? Do they have public beach access at the hotel or close to it. If so, is the beach pretty? We were in Nassau many years ago( 20+) and enjoyed Pardise Island and Cable Beach. Don't care about water sports or lying in the sun. Would like to walk a little in more seculeded areas, maybe sit under shade and just enjoy the beautiful beaches, water and sand that we remember from many years ago.

Thanks for any info, Candy

My Wife and I will be in Nassau in early September also.

From all the helpful replies on this board we have learned that the British Colonial Hilton has day passes to use their beach and pool facilites for $15 per person.

It is a business hotel so it should be quieter than the hotels on Cable Beach.

Supposedly it is a 5-10 minute walk from the ship. I'd imagine with a short time in port, you probably couldn't find a closer private beach or pool to relax at.

Bill

I would take a cab to Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island and swim in the ocean. The Hilton's beach is on the harbour, too close to the cruise piers and who knowns what is being discharged in the water.:eek:

Here is what scubagirl has to say about beach choices.

"There are 2 main difference between these two beachs.

Cable Beach is lined with resorts, where you can use the loungers / restrooms/ bars and grills. Both the Wyndham and the Nassau Beach Hotel, allow outsiders to use the facilites and expect you to buy drinks/ lunch etc. while at the beach/pool. Paradise Island is a PUBLIC beach, with no facilites, and lounger/umbrellas for rent (around $20 ea).

You'll find more outside VENDORS at the Public beach, although the hotel beaches have women selling tshirt, braiding etc. Both have jetski's etc. available from independent vendors.

The second difference is the beach/water itself. Cable Beach is generally calmer than Paradise Beach, so if you have little ones, or just want to "float" away the hours, Cable Beach is where you want to go.

Paradise Beach has rolling waves, and a bit of an undertow. During some seasons, the beach is closed to do rough seas.

Both beaches have pristine white sandy beaches.. and gorgeous gin-colored waters".

Thanks Caribsun, sounds like both Cable and Paradise Island (I assume that's where Cabbage Beach is?) are good choices. Would think that the "Vendors" on the public beach sell some beer and food, nothing fancy, maybe a burger or fish sandwhich?

Lastly, I assume it's pretty easy to catch a taxi back and forth from either Cable or Paradise? Takes how long, like 10 minutes or less via cab?

thanks

mbr

RE this hotel. I was looking at doing this day pass with our group of 10. 4 are children from 13-16. Does anyone know if this is a sidewalk "walk" to the hotel and if children of this age are permitted. I have seen often that it is called a business hotel.

Thanks

RE this hotel. I was looking at doing this day pass with our group of 10. 4 are children from 13-16. Does anyone know if this is a sidewalk "walk" to the hotel and if children of this age are permitted. I have seen often that it is called a business hotel.

Thanks

Children would be permitted, but not sure how much fun it would be. It's a very quiet and serene place. Small pool with business people nearby.. so no diving, splashing, running etc.

Same for the beach. There's sometimes a volleyball game late in the day when the sun worshiper leave the beach, but generally speaking, there's really no space to play, or throw a frisbee or do much of anything but relax.

There's a bar and grill nearby, and beach service.

And yes, there is a sidewalk "walk" from the port to the front entrance of the British Colonial Hilton, along the wharf and left at Senor Frogs. No need to even cross the street.

Thanks Caribsun, sounds like both Cable and Paradise Island (I assume that's where Cabbage Beach is?) are good choices. Would think that the "Vendors" on the public beach sell some beer and food, nothing fancy, maybe a burger or fish sandwhich?

Lastly, I assume it's pretty easy to catch a taxi back and forth from either Cable or Paradise? Takes how long, like 10 minutes or less via cab?

thanks

mbr

Vendors on Cabbage beach are more likely to have canned soda and chips. No grill, no restrooms.. just beach..

You can find the coconut guy (one either beach) selling rum and coconut milk in a fresh coconut for about $10 a shot. but this get's old quick.

If you're heading to Cabbage Beach, I recommend bringing a soft side cooler and fill up at the local liquor store. Water, pop, rum etc.

I assume the British Colonial has a pool bar and/or restaurant?

thanks

They have a bar/grill near the pool, but people don't drink in the pool like most resorts. There's also beach and chairside service for both drinks and food items. (Burger, chicken, grouper fingers, salads etc).

The Pool is rather small, like an inground backyard pool. Nothing grand, but refreshing.

Archived