Freedom Review July 16th

After reading the boards for many months and taking all the tips I found on this board I felt I should write a review.

Precruise- Flew into Miami the night before. Stayed at the Hilton Blue Lagoon. The room was fine but trying to get a cab to the port took a while .

Boarding was very easy . Got to the port about 12:30 . Checked in with no trouble except I had my own son who is 18 and his friend who is also 18 and they would not accept the certified letter from my sons friend that said I could sign the drinking waiver. It was not that big a deal.

We walked onto the Freedom and all I can say is WOW. The kids hit the flowrider right away. That was a big hit. Dinner is OK not great not bad .

James the cruise director was awesome and I thought the shows and the costumes were great.

The bedding on the ship is terrific and I miss it.

The day at sea there was no problem getting chairs .

In Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach where the kids rented waverunner.

In Grand Caymen we went Snorkling with the Stingrays and went to Turtle Town .

In Jamaica the boys went ziplining . They had fun but my son thought the one in Maui was better and we went to Sunset Beach and had a great day.

In Labadee we just beached it.

We ate at Porotofino;s which is so delicious it is hard to put into words. The chocolate flourless cake is to dye for along with the pasta, filet and everything else we ate. I would eat there everynight.

Chops was very good the crabcake and the giant shrimp cocktail . It is like Arnie Morton Steak house . I did not care for the desert selection at Chops. If you had to choose one I would pick Portofinos .

I thought the Pizza was much better than before than on the other voyager class ships and I liked you could get some antipasti there too.

The Freedom is Magnificent and I really do not have one complaint .

I just do not really care for the ports the Freedom does except for Labadee but I chose Freedom for the ship.

The love and marriage game was hysterical and quest is the best.

I hope this review will help future freedom cruisers.

Pam

Thanks for the review, I love to here all the postive comments makes the extra cost for this ship seem more worth it every day!!! I also booked for the ship not the ports as we have been to the Western Carib. many times, We not even get off the ship.

Thanks again

Thanks for the great review....

How was Paradise Beach? Thinking about going there myself in Cozumel.

What was great at Dinner and what should we NOT order in the Dining Room?

Thanks!

Paradise Beach was great . I think the cab ride was 12 dollars for three people in each cab we had 2 cabs. It was free umbrellas and chairs. It is eight dollars to climb the iceberg and trampoline which we did not do. It was very clean . They also have massage tent , hair braiding , waverunning.

The bread in the dining room was great. The talapia was not great. The chilled fruit soups are delicious and the duck I thought was very good in the dining room

The day pass at Sunset Beach was forty dollars and since we got there so early we ended up having breakfast buffet and lunch buffet and all the drinks you wanted in little cups but they were strong. They have paddle boats and kayaks in the price and they had a beautiful flea market with out the vendors hassling you.

We are, ironically, doing the same trip you just completed. Same beaches, cruise, and even the HOTEL! My question is at the Hilton Blue Lagoon, did you pre-order a taxi or just wait for one to show up??? Was there at least airport transpotation for you when you arrived at the Hilton Blue Lagoon or did you also have to take a taxi?

The love and marriage game was hysterical and quest is the best.

Oh my gosh, I totally agree with you on the love and marriage game!!! I kept seeing the young couple everywhere I went on the ship after that, and all I could think of was "tweezers." LOL!!! All three couples were great choices. This was the first time that I had seen Quest, and it was a riot. My husband and oldest daughter didn't want to go, but after we got back and told them all about it, I think they were sorry that they had missed it.

They have airport transportation to the hotel. They called for a cab when we came downstairs to go to the port. We needed a van taxi so that is why we waited because we had 6 people. If you are staying at the hilton 3 days pre cruise you definately need a car.

The pizza was great, I was surprised how much they improved it from the Voyager class ships. :) If you don't eat dinner, then just go down there and eat four pieces of pizza. :eek:

We only ate at Portofino's and the service was great. There was a lot of food. You had two desserts! The dipping with all the breads was great at the start of the meal. I got the chocolate cake and loved it but I couldn't eat all of it because I was very full. Portofino's reminds me of an Italian place around here, very elegant and large portions.

I'm a vegetarian and they made up a special dish for me. It was spaghetti with tomatos and it was absolutely yummy. I couldn't eat all of it because I was full again. But, If i had it at home I'd eat it once a week.

One entree at Portofino's is usually our whole dinner at home, that's why it was so filling. Be sure to leave room for the lovely desserts because they are to die for. :)

Sounds like you had a great time. Freedom of the Seas is very similar to Voyager Class ships but there is a few differences (flowrider, h20 zone, clean shave, sorrento's), but not much. If you were on a Voyager Class ship before, then Freedom of the Seas will be very easy to find your way around. I already knew my way around, the first day. I've been on three Voyager Class ships.

hi there thanks for the review. our trip on freedom next march will also be our first cruise! we did pick it for the ship but have not been to the caribean before either so are a bit concerned with your comment about the ports! is this just your personal choice or are the stops not good? also i read somewhere there is a kareoke bar did you visit this we are so into music and it sounds fun!

The ports are fine . They are not the big shopping ports like St. Thomas or St. Martin. We beached it everyday except for Grand Caymen where we went with the stingrays. We had a great time. There is a karoke bar next to Studio B by the ice rink.

Archived