Great new visitor attraction in Rotorua [Tauranga NZ port of call]

KiwiIan

Any cruisers thinking of making a tour to Rotorua, from the Tauranga port of call [its about 75 minutes by road] may like to know of a very interesting new destination.

This is called 'THE NEW ZEALAND CATERPILLAR EXPERIENCE' and no, it has nothing to do with the young butterfly species. It is in fact a collection of CATERPILLAR bull dozers, owned by a local who has decided to create a visitor exhibition. I was a little sceptical about this [its only been opened a few months] but after taking a look through it last week i am very impressed. Apparently the architect who designed the Te Papa exhibition in Wellington also played a part in its design. Not just a collection of big yellow dozers, its a story of how the New Zealand bush was transformed into the rolling pasture we see today, using this most versatile of machines. So if you want to know how this country has been developed in the 80 or so years it worth a visit. Allow an hour or so to look through, more if you're really into CATS.

Its located close to the centre of Rotorua and worth a look, i think the entry is $20 PP. If any one wants to have a look at their web site, just Google the name or post here and i will give their web address. Please note that i have connection to this destination but though you may like to know about it.

Pleased to help with any other NZ info, just ask. Regards Ian [Tauranga] NZ:)

Archived