Pearls?

CruisingCatherine

Pearls, like other precious stones, are not naturally found in Cozumel. And, I don't know that they're harvested anywhere in Mexico. So, my guess would be that "natural pearls" would not be cheap in Cozumel, if they can even be found.

A word of caution: be very careful when buying jewelry in Cozumel. This article http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/ShopJewelry.htm discusses the jewelry that you are likely to find in Cozumel.

My wife and I went to dinner at Guido's last night and saw this new store that has opened right next door: http://www.perlas.com.mx/ Not your usual white pearls, but pretty cool, I thought! They are located on the main waterfront road (Melgar) between 6th and 8th street. Just tell your cabbie to go to Guido's Restaurant, that's the easiest way! If you are looking for the traditional white kind, I know that a local Chinese resident has a stand, booth, whatever at the big store/bar/upscale flea market, also on Melgar called "Kiss my Cactus"...or maybe it's just "Cactus" now, not sure. Anyway, she goes back to China every year and loads up with pearls and jade etc., so check it out! (TRIVIA ALERT: This place used to be a PLANET HOLLYWOOD years ago! If you check out the mens bathroom, you can still see a huge hole in the drywall where Arnold Schwartzeneggar puched it in frustration, after being mistaken for Sylvester Stallone by Salma Hayak at the star-studded Opening Party!! Arnold had always had a secret crush on her, and had decided to make his move that night, but that night soured him on acting forever and he decided to go into politics! Really!) ;)

Archived