Viewing the Hubbard Glacier

cruznon

I have a question. I was just scaning KrooozCams and I noticed that the infinity was at the Hubbard Glacier. I watch the bridge cam as the Infinity made comple 360 turns so the glacier was visible from all sides. Is this the usual practice? I thought it would be that way. However, when we were there on the Statendam, the glacier was only visible from the front and then the port side. Normally this is "no biggie" --unless you have a veranda on the starboard side. But we arrived late and our early dinner (5:30) was served before we left the glacier. Those on the port side of the dining room had a great view for an hour. It would have been nice to have the ship turn. Would there be any reason why ship didn't turn? Just curious....

There are many variables here. But all ships I have seen at Hubbard make a view for both sides of the vessel. That may be a spin, or starboard in, port out.

The time and positioning in the bay depends on weather, currents, float ice, glacier activity, # of ships trafficing Hubbard that day, itinerary schedules, pilot recommendations and even the captain's best attempts.

I have made dozens of visits to Hubbard on a dozen or more ships...no two visits were alike.

Ships built w/ Azipod propulsion can spin 360 degrees while remaining in place by running the pods in one direction and the bow thrusters in the opposite direction. Ships that have the traditional propeller/rudder arrangement can move the bow from side to side via the bow thrusters, but cannot move the stern sideways - only fore and aft - therefore requiring more space to turn the ship around.

Infinity, like the rest of X's M-Class ships have pods. HAL's Vistas and Amsterdam have pods too, and therefore these ships can do the same "spin like a top" maneuver. Statendam, like her S-Class siblings and the first 3 R-Class sisters have a traditional propeller/rudder propulsion arrangement, and are therefore incapable of the same maneuver.

I'm certain there are other circumstances that prevented the Captain from showing the glacier to both sides of the ship, but I'm sure that the propulsion issue combined w/ limited navigable space in Dissappointment Bay is part of the reason.

True, propulsion systems do affect the manueverability of the ship. But azipods or mermaid pods alone do not allow a ship to spin on it's axis. Pods supplant the need for stern thrusters, however bow thrusters in conjunction with pods make this maneuver possible.

Still there are fixed propellor / rudder ships that have both bow and stern thrusters that allow a ship to spin on it's axis...such as the s/s Norway introduced.

And fixed propellor / rudder ships with both thrusters only and twin props can still spin on it's axis, abeit with more manuevering finesse by the helm.

Considering the space to manuever in Yakutat, I would think the ship's propulsion system is not the primary reason a ship will not offer alternating views of the Hubbard Glacier, but it sure makes a nice ride.

Hi Cruznon!

I was at Hubbard Glacier a week ago yesterday. Now, sadly, I'm home:(. Anyway, on the Oosterdam (Vista Class) we spun around 360 daegrees quite a bit, and maybe a little too fast, to my way of thinking. We were pretty close to the face, although it's hard to tell distance, and there wasn't much ice in the bay, either. The only other ship in the bay was the Seranade of the Seas, arriving as we were leaving. We arrived about noon, and since we had to make Sitka the next morning, we were outta there by 3:00PM.

Four years ago we were there on the Amsterdam, and spun then, too. But, as Brian says, that ship is capable of the maneuver. But in Glacier Bay two years ago on the Veendam, we pretty much stayed put.

Welcome home HALonly,

It's a real bummer to get back as usual, BUT this time we came home to this hidious heatwave!!! UGH!!!!!! I look at my Alaska pix and REALLY wish I was there!!!

Thanks for your info on the Hubbard Glacier "spin"

When we were on the Radiance in May, the captain said he wasn't sure how much he could manouver in the bay due to all the ice. In the end he was able to turn the ship around, which meant I had to leave my balcony to keep viewing the wonderful calfing that was taking place.

This was the first sunny day of our cruise, and we arrived there at 7:20 am, to the voice of the captain letting us know we were there! It was wonderful to step out and see this magnificent sight.

Archived