Any Downgrades out there?

cruzcactus

I can't imagine being downgraded. When one books a guaranty, one assumes they will get the least costly cabin in the category and if the fairy feels like it, maybe an upgrade.

I have heard of one situation on another cruiseline whereby the ship was overbooked and everyone came to the party. It was a mess, involved compensation and if memory serves me the cahirman of that line came on the CC board to appologise for the mess.

I am sure other posters with longer and /or better memories than I can come up with a few other occurences.

I don't think any cruise line is going to downgrade your cabin below what you booked. They could overbook a specific cruise and usually then they will offer people another cruise at either no cost or at a greatly reduced cost usually with a better cabin they had on the original one.

Have a great next cruise.

Don't see how that would happen. You paid for a specific catagor and should get what you apid for--however being "upgraded" to another catagory may give you a less desirable cabin in location, balcony size, view.

I once tried to downgrade (weeks before sailing) so a could get a cabin with a larger balcony on a lower deck and couldn't. I was told computer system couldn't do that...

A cruise line will not down grade you. On rare occassions they might offer a down grade if they want your cabin for whatever reason. If this is the case, you will be offered some compensation. You don't have to accept it.

On one occasion when I was new to cruising and did not understand the term guarantee, I had booked a suite guarantee for a family of 4 on another cruise line. There were 14 family members booked on this cruise. When they arrived at the ship they were told that there was a problem. They were given two balcony cabins at opposite ends of the ship and told that this was an upgrade. Because they the cost of the two balconies was more than the suite for 4 people, the ship considered this an upgrade. They were given the choice to accept it and sail or get off for a refund.

We sailed as planned and fought with both our TA and the cruise lines home office. They still stood by their theory that this was a wonderful upgrade and everyone should be so happy, however they finally agreed to refund the cost difference between 4 people in one balcony cabin and what had been paid. They also gave us 15% off our next cruise. There had been a total of 14 family members on this cruise, all who cruised and were linked together received a letter offering 10% off another cruise.

Linda

Don't see how that would happen. You paid for a specific catagor and should get what you apid for--however being "upgraded" to another catagory may give you a less desirable cabin in location, balcony size, view.

I once tried to downgrade (weeks before sailing) so a could get a cabin with a larger balcony on a lower deck and couldn't. I was told computer system couldn't do that...

On my upcoming Zaandam cruise, I requested and got a downgrade. My travel agent and I had to keep on top of it to make sure it was accomplished. I went from an H porthole cabin in the bow to an HH fully obstructed window cabin on the lower promenade. We are only a couple of steps from the outside deck so I am very happy. Because prices on all cabins had gone up there was no price reduction, which is fine with me.

This was a handicap cabin because my Mom is unable to stand or walk.

The weird thing is....you cannot book a "handicap guarantee" or mark your booking "will except upgrade" because HALs upgrade computer cannot recognize the word "handicap". Meaning if you were in a handicap cabin because you needed it, you could be upgraded to a regular cabin.

Archived