I need advise...obstructed view?

ddunn

Help!

I booked a cruise last week with a travel agent, for us and another couple.

AFter booking 2 balcony rooms, then just reading the boards and doing some investigating, I have found out it is a balcony with an obstructed view!

I called the TA, and she said there were no other rooms....they are sold out....

My husband will kill me!

Does anyone know if there is a big possibility of something opening up? The cruise is not until January.

We are going on the Elation....category 11.....V27

I dont want to pay all that money for an obstructed view! Someone sent me a pic,and the room is betw a life boat and a larger boat.

What shall i do?

I called carnival and they confirmed, no more rooms.

THE TA didnt tell me it was an obstructed view.

Thanks for your input!!! Any suggestions will be so much appreciated.

Denise

Okay, so hopefully you're reading the previous thread/reviews/pictures...

In the meantime, your TA was bad/uninformed:mad: (another reason why it's great for people to research on Cruise Critic before booking cruises).

Keep checking the websites and information for your cruise.

You are a long way out.

People can cancel, cabins can open up, (especially right at 30 days before the cruise).

Check into Category 12s (as this should fall on your TAs responsibility) to get upgraded.

You have time, just keep yourself informed and aware.

CJW

it is hard for me to beleive that the ship is sold out already. maybe the block of your ta's cabins are booked but i bet somewhere on the ship there is a balcony open. go to other sites and see what they have. then call your ta back and let them know. i would not settle for a cabin you dont want because one person says there is nothing else.

Thanks, both of you. Jerome, thanks for your pics.

My stomach is in knots after seeing those.

I called Carnival tonight, and i have been on their site. There are no more Category 11 rooms.....with Carnival, or the travel agent.

I am a little upset, because when i called and told her i needed two balcony rooms.....etc etc....she never told me there was an obstructed view.

I was exploring and found it ...........and panicked!

I am looking at changing the date, but it was for my husbands birthday.....so i really want that date.

So i might change the ship!! Maybe do the western again...I dont know.

Thanks so much for your help.......I cant believe this is happening!

NOrmally i go up online, look.........and pick my room!!!!!!

Denise

it is hard for me to beleive that the ship is sold out already. maybe the block of your ta's cabins are booked but i bet somewhere on the ship there is a balcony open. go to other sites and see what they have. then call your ta back and let them know. i would not settle for a cabin you dont want because one person says there is nothing else.

I'm sure its not that the ship is sold out, it's probably the Cat 11 cabins that are sold out. I believe there is only 26 of them total.

-Mike

Thanks, both of you. Jerome, thanks for your pics.

My stomach is in knots after seeing those.

I called Carnival tonight, and i have been on their site. There are no more Category 11 rooms.....with Carnival, or the travel agent.

I am a little upset, because when i called and told her i needed two balcony rooms.....etc etc....she never told me there was an obstructed view.

I was exploring and found it ...........and panicked!

I am looking at changing the date, but it was for my husbands birthday.....so i really want that date.

So i might change the ship!! Maybe do the western again...I dont know.

Thanks so much for your help.......I cant believe this is happening!

NOrmally i go up online, look.........and pick my room!!!!!!

Denise

Okay, that is exactly the reason that I started that thread.

On Fantasy Class ships, Category 11s can be GREAT or disappointing, depending on what people know and expect.

I think with that cabin specifically, your benefit is you get a bigger cabin (for Fantasy Class) and you get a balcony so you get fresh air, and still you do have a view.

Again, you have plenty of time for something else to open up, so again, go through the previous thread I linked. Look at the pros and cons of each of those cabins, as long as you know what you get and expect that, they are great cabins.

Don't freak out, calm down, you have plenty of time to work this out.

CJW

Just curious. Didn't you have a Carnival catalog? You can always get them at any TA office. Just walk in and get them. They have the layouts of the ship with the key code for each cabin. I always study it in great detail before booking.

Can you switch to run-of-the-ship?

The only problem I have with cruise lines and obstructed views is that you still pay the same as the other cabins in that category. That doesn't seem fair.

Shay

Have you considered switching to an 8A (I would go with a guarantee) cabin on the Glory? The rooms are approximatly the same size and for a comparable price you get an extra two days, bigger/newer ship, and IMO much better ports.

Osie...

Normally i am very careful! I guess i just didnt think for a minute that the category 11's would have an obstructed view.

My instructios to the TA were that i did not want way up front.

This is not the normal travel agent that i used for my other 3 cruises....and i guess i was just too anxious. But i am paying for that!....by fretting over it. U can bet i will be real careful in the future.

Denise

i would have loved to go on the glory, we went on her last year, the eastern.

The couple we are traveling with, cant do a week.

I have finally changed, and we will not go on the elation, we will do the sensation, 4 day, different itinery, but we have the rooms we wanted....

and it is cheaper!!!!

I learned a lot....by this experience!!!! See, i used a different travel agent. I guess I got comfortable with the TA i had, and he knew what i wanted.

This one didn't tell me it was obstructed, and silly me, didnt think about a suite being obstructed.....

I looked at the deck plan, briefly, and it looked good to me!

Until the next day.......when i started researching!!!!

We live and learn, and that is why these boards are the best.

Thanks for all your help!!

Denise

I booked 15 and 16 Category 11.

I am not crazy about being so far forward, but it is because i have never been that far forward before.....so I am gonna try it.

There really isn't a choice if u want the category 11, so i am real optimistic about it, and it sure is better than 27!!!!!!

Thanks again for all your info!

Denise

Denise,

You'll have a wonderful time. Lessons learned make the next cruise even better. We have stayed over the stage before, and are early to bed, so learned to make sure our cabin is over nothing but other cabins. Our friends had a cabin under the gym once, and got woken up each and every morning by men dropping the big weights. Another lesson learned. Make sure your cabin is under another cabin.

Too bad we can't pick our neighbors.

I've heard people complain about being close to the elevators because of hallway noise. Some have been close to the engines.

We did have an obstructed view once. It's not the best, looking at the belly of a boat, but we lived with it. We had a porthole once, too, and that one really sucked.

Our girls had a cabin on the front once, with their window opening up to the jogging track and basketball court. Guess what? They liked to sleep late, but heard everyone outside.

I'm glad you changed. You'll be fine.

Shay

I booked 15 and 16 Category 11.

You should be happy with those, those are good locations.

If it makes a difference, just a tidbit...

V15 will be slightly quieter (or at least less traffic) than V16, because all the inside cabin's doors are on the port (even numbers) hallway.

But, there are SO few cabins here on Verandah Deck, it's one of the quietest areas on the ship, regardless.

I am not crazy about being so far forward, but it is because i have never been that far forward before.....so I am gonna try it.

Ahh don't worry about it. If you've been in the gym or the spa, or the showroom it's no different than there. Just be sure to take your Bonine or whatever for backup. Enjoy, and give us a review when you get back.

CJW

Help!

I booked a cruise last week with a travel agent, for us and another couple.

AFter booking 2 balcony rooms, then just reading the boards and doing some investigating, I have found out it is a balcony with an obstructed view!

I called the TA, and she said there were no other rooms....they are sold out....

My husband will kill me!

Does anyone know if there is a big possibility of something opening up? The cruise is not until January.

We are going on the Elation....category 11.....V27

I dont want to pay all that money for an obstructed view! Someone sent me a pic,and the room is betw a life boat and a larger boat.

What shall i do?

I called carnival and they confirmed, no more rooms.

THE TA didnt tell me it was an obstructed view.

Thanks for your input!!! Any suggestions will be so much appreciated.

Denise

Might I suggest keeping the curtains closed and wearing a sexy nightie as a diversion.:eek:

Archived