What NOT to forget...

argoisin

Yes it was that much of a pain. We used our first at Jimmy Buffet and they wanted our address, drivers liceance # and state, birthdate, phone #. Well we put it on the front and they said nope it has to be on the back. We put it on the back then he said I hate to be picky but they have to have it right here and pointed to the place so we had to write it a 3rd time. Plus show Id which I expected but he studyed it. I was like OMG it is pulling teeth to use one.

If you cash them at the desk all you have to do is sign it and give them your cabin #. No fee for chashing them either. Much easier. I can see not wanting to pay for ATM fee and such or not wanting to carry alot of cash on you. If I do take them again I will again cash them at the desk before going into port like i did last time.

We were told in Jamaica that it takes 75 days for a travelers check to go through. That is a long time for them to wait for their money and may be a reason they don't like to take them. It is easier for people to cash them on the boat.

Okay - so, I'm not as experienced at this as you all.....are you saying that you are NOT allowed to bring an iron? I did my last 2 cruises and I used it and the stewart never said anything.......or is this more sarcasim? Which is fine, I'm just trying to get the correct information!!!

Mary:o

MARY,,,,

The ships have irons in the laundry rooms........

I have use them..........

It's unbelievable but on the Legend there's no bottle opener in the room!....when DH ordered a Budweiser from room service there was no way to open it. Guy who delivered it didn't have one, room steward didn't have one. He finally opened it with nail clippers....unbelievable!

You don't want to use your sign and sail card in the safe, after a few times it demagnatizes and then it doesn't work. (I learned the hard way).

T.J.

Is this the reason everyone says not to use the room key? I've never experienced this problem in 9 cruises, some of them 10/11 day sailings. I always hear this but no one offers an explanation. Thanks for clearing this up, if that is indeed the reason for it:)

We are going on our first cruise in January 2007 - I saw here some one said not to foget the booze in your carry-on - I thought that would be confiscated?

he was joking. you gotta put it in your checked bags...in plastic bottles...wrapped in bubble wrap...in the middle of the bags...not that i do that....

Seriously, thanks for the suggestions everyone. some things i never thought of.

You don't want to use your sign and sail card in the safe, after a few times it demagnatizes and then it doesn't work. (I learned the hard way).

T.J.

I never realized it would demagnetize. We always thought that if you lost your S&S card, someone could find it and open your cabin and safe. Then we got to thinking.....If someone did find an S&S card, they would have to check every cabin door. There are no cabin #'s on the S&S card. The person could get lucky and it would open the first door or it could take him/her hours or days to locate that cabin. Imagine this.....a person walking down the hall, sticking the S&S card in every door.....would be a bit suspicious, don't you think?

Hopefully it's not too far off topic, but I wouldn't recommend keeping an old hotel room key around at all. Many of the hotels input your name, address, and credit card info on those cards when you check in and the info can be stolen from the mag strip with a card reader. FWIW, I never leave those cards in my room or even turn them back in to the hotel for that matter. I've been told to destroy them after you check out. A grocery card, library card, or auto club card is your best bet.

As far as cruise essentials I also take:

Wrinkle release spray

A Leatherman multi-tool (pliers, knife, corkscrew, etc. - in checked luggage)

IPod or MP3 player with folding travel speakers

Extra-small travel umbrella (for rain or shade)

A light windbreaker or sweatshirt (if traveling out of Calif. to Mexico)

Criscoma, I think the poster was referring to using an old hotel room key. Not their room key to the cabin. I would never use your cabin room key. Most anything with a magnetic strip will work such as grocery card, gift cards, old hotel room keys, library cards, drivers license, credit card, etc.

Can someone clearly outline the procedure for using the safe in the cabins? I've read a number of posts about safes, room keys, hotel keys, grocery cards, library cards, demagnatized cards yadda, yadda.......I am trying to figure out how this works. Thanks for bearing with me and if someone could respond and just outline how that works, I'd be most grateful.

Sailing Wednesday - yep, day after tomorrow!!!! on the Spirit!!!:p

CruiseLoverOhio:)

Did you say you iron your clothes in the room? READ YOUR LIST OF NO NO'S. It says no irons. I want to be informed of all your cruises, so that I don't have to worry about burning up at sea. I value my life and DH much more than neatly pressed clothes.

WHERE is this list of no no's.....? Is there an official list of do's and don'ts?:confused: ......I take an iron because I don't want to go to the laundry.

CruiseLoverOhio

WHERE is this list of no no's.....? Is there an official list of do's and don'ts?:confused: ......I take an iron because I don't want to go to the laundry.

CruiseLoverOhio

In the cruise contract, and in your welcome aboard booklet (twice actually), it's a safety hazard and they are NOT allowed!!

Can someone clearly outline the procedure for using the safe in the cabins? I've read a number of posts about safes, room keys, hotel keys, grocery cards, library cards, demagnatized cards yadda, yadda.......I am trying to figure out how this works. Thanks for bearing with me and if someone could respond and just outline how that works, I'd be most grateful.

Sailing Wednesday - yep, day after tomorrow!!!! on the Spirit!!!:p

CruiseLoverOhio:)

Not to hijack the thread - but to answer your question about the safe... The safe has a magnetic card reader that you use to open and close it. When you lock the safe you swipe any card with a magnetic strip on it through the reader and then the safe can't be opened unless that same card is re-swiped. Some people use a card, then hide it somewhere in the room so your spouse can use it too when you are not around. Unfortunately, whoever finds the card can also use it so your safe is only as good as your hiding place. It kind of defeats the purpose of the safe if someone finds it.

CruiseLoverOhio

Well then....if you don't want to go to the laundry....would you consider send the things to be pressed rather than using an iron in the cabin?

My feeling if the cruise line says "no irons" there must be a VERY good reason. :eek: They are not making such decisions just to make our lives difficult. I do hope that it is a "rule" that is taken seriously by cruisers. Goin is correct...it is discussed not once, but twice in the Welcome Aboard information.

Please.....leave the irons at home! :(

WOuld this work for the safe????????? You know whenyou go to the grocery store, they have this rack full of like Target, Old Navy,etc.etc. cards. Now, they don't have any money on them yet until you take it to the cashier and say you want $25, $50, etc. on the card, then you pay the cashier. What if you got one of those cards that are on the rack and don't put any money on it or information on it.......would it still work on your safe?????????? Anyone know????????????

Yes, binoculars so oyu can see Cuba from up on the F Deck. And maybe a nice pair of mirrored sunglasses.;)

cruiseloverohio, you use any type of card with a magnetic strip on the back, not your S&S card. Any thing like an old gift card or credit card. I used my M/C usually because when we went into port I carried it with us anyways. You don't have to use the same card every time, just when you close it with one you have to open it with the same one.

Jess

Yes, binoculars so oyu can see Cuba from up on the F Deck. And maybe a nice pair of mirrored sunglasses.;)

cruiseloverohio, you use any type of card with a magnetic strip on the back, not your S&S card. Any thing like an old gift card or credit card. I used my M/C usually because when we went into port I carried it with us anyways. You don't have to use the same card every time, just when you close it with one you have to open it with the same one.

Jess

Jess,

Thank you for that information......I didn't know that you could use a number of them as long as it was the same one you closed it with..........that makes sense. Ok, now for my question. Does it have to be an old gift card or can it be one that you just pull off the shelf at the grocery store that doesn't have any information on, but has the magnetic strip on the back???????

(1) post-it notes-not only for our roomies but for the room steward, works great to let him know what little things we need or just to tell him/her to have a GREAT day!!!:)

(2) over door hanger-works great in bathroom when 4 ladies have lots of misc "stuff":p

(3) clothes pins to put at bottom of shower curtain to keep it in place and water out of floor

(4)flip flops to wear on deck it will get hot enough to put blisters on your feet!!:eek:

Jess,

Thank you for that information......I didn't know that you could use a number of them as long as it was the same one you closed it with..........that makes sense. Ok, now for my question. Does it have to be an old gift card or can it be one that you just pull off the shelf at the grocery store that doesn't have any information on, but has the magnetic strip on the back???????

Criscomia, not sure if an un-registered one will work or not, I have heard others on here say yes, but I haven't tried it personaly. I would think it would have some kind of magnetic info on it from the start, just not activated to make purchases with. It should work, but I wouldn't swear to it. Try it and let us know.:D

Jess

Archived