Balcony or Suite for Solos??

gxchan

I've been looking at the prices for a suite for my upcoming cruise. After paying 200% for a superior outside cabin (dreaded single supplement), I just can't see paying what would be almost 350% for suite. I would love a balcony (not available on my next cruise) but again face the horror of the price. As a solo have you had a balcony or suite and was it worth the extra? Did you entertain?

Just wondering.

I usually get balcony room on Crystal, but they have the best single supplements, I never pay 200% and cruise their value collection cruises, which, when you add everything up actually can cost less than a comparable room on any mass market ship. Of course, you must do comparable rooms. For instance, when I was looking to take a cruise to South America, the cost for a balcony room on Celebrity would have cost me over $15,000 because of their 200%SS, but for a balcony cabin on Crystal, with the same square footage and for a cruise that was two days longer than the Celebrity cruise, I paid way less than half the Celebrity price. Add to that the fact that Crystal includes all bottled water, soft drinks and specialty coffees, and my TA pays my gratuities when I cruise Crystal, I ended up way ahead.

I haven't yet but I will in 2007....I've cruised on Carnival's Conquest and Glory both in 1A's but with portholes. My next cruise is also on Carnival-the Spirit 12 night from Hawaii to Ensenada Oct 2007. I totally splurged on this one and got a Cat 11 Aft Wraparound Balcony cabin. I know I'm not a hang out on the deck by the pool type; I prefer quieter privater spots to curl up with a book, and my ipod and with 5 sea days in a row and 12 days total, I wanted a balcony. I happened to notice when i booked on line that there was 1 open aft wraparound so i took it.

I debated for back and forth about whether to spend almost 300 percent more for this than a 1A, but ultimately I decided I could afford the splurge and that there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing something really nice for myself.

I lucked out three years ago and got a great price solo for a balcony on a 7 day trip (under $1,000). I loved it, esp when the decks got crowded, it was nice to just go back to my room and chill on the balcony.

The only time it seems that a half way decent price occurs on fall sailing in Oct/Nov when they are trying to fill a ship up.

Earlier this year I looked into a balcony for an Alaskan cruise (I sailed with a porthole on my last Alaskan trip but wanted a balcony). The pricing as a solo (at least to my pocketbook) was :eek: :eek: !!

Balconys are a big sale on many of the newer ships, but it's really out of reach to the solo market unless you have the means or a heavy sailer with a certain line.

Unless I can catch another great deal, I stick to my inside cabin

• 1 month later...

I had a balcony cabin on the Spirit in 2003, and LOVED it! It was such a treat to order room service coffee & juice in the morning, and have it out on the balcony in my PJs before getting dressed to go to breakfast:-)

I also enjoyed a glass of wine ach night on my balcony before going to bed:-). another nice treat. There's something very special about being able to step outside from your cabin onto your very own private verandah:-) It's also VERY relaxing to prop the balcony door open at night, and fall asleep listening to the waves, and breathing in all that fresh sea air all night:-) ahhh, now this is cruising!!

As far as entertaining . . . I met up with some friends from NY a couple years ago. One of the guys from NY had a verandah suite, and I (cruising solo) was down almost below sea level in a cat 1A. Each night he would invite everyone from our dinner table to his verandah for a pre-dinner cocktails, and would order some items off the room service menu to serve as appetizers. Was lots of fun:-)

Having a balcony is GREAT, but it may spoil you. Now I want one every time I cruise (not always feasable with the extremely high single supplements as you mentioned).

I did book a 1A guarentee a couple years ago, and ended up being upgraded to a balcony cabin. What a nice surprise that was!!

Yup, In my opinion, any time you can swing a balcony cabin it's definitely worth the extra $, just make the time to use it. I've also talked to a guy on a past cruise ythat was traveling solo who splurged for a balcony for the first time. I asked him how he was enjoying it, and he said he pulled his twin size mattress off the bedand onto the balcony and was actually sleeping there!!

Hi all,

Thanks for the great feedback. I have decided to get a balcony on RC's Serenade for October 2007; we will be cruising the Panama Canal and a balcony seems like the perfect way to see it. Cost is always a factor when you cruise solo but as many of you noted, sometimes you have to treat yourself and you are absolutely right. We work hard for our money and vacation time, we should enjoy it to the best of our ability.

Kitty, thanks for the tip re Celebrity. I looked at them but felt they may be a bit dressier than I am prepared to be on vacation. I always dress nicely in the evenings but gowns just aren't in my future.

Annie and Airlink Diva--OMG, being upgraded to a balcony must rock! I'm hoping to have the upgrade fairy bless me one day as well. In the meantime, your input has confirmed my thoughts that I MUST have a balcony for Panama. And, Annie, I am already a bit concerned about the spoiling factor in having a balcony but plan to live in denial until I book my 2008 cruise. :D

gdani72, if your cruise in 2007 is before October I would love to hear how you liked the balcony.

I love this solo board. Maybe one day we can organize ourselves and all take the same cruise together, separate cabins, of course!:D

Archived