flying into mia but cruising out of fll- any suggestions for hotel and transportation

st62

Next spring we are cruising on the Carnival Liberty. We are flying into mia late friday night but cruising out of fll the next day. any suggestions for a hotel and transportation ? We'll need transportation from the mia airport to a hotel and then the hotel to ship in fll and then from the ship back to mia airport at the end of the cruise. Your help would be greatly appreciated. we are trying to keep the price down if at all possible. We will have between 3 and 8 people traveling together. Thank you !!!

st62 ~ You may be better off renting a car because cab fares gonna be a killer from MIA. Regarding hotels, read through the threads in this section. A lot of discussion regarding hotels at all price levels in Ft Lauderdale. None of the Ft Lauderdale hotels provide transportation from MIA. A few offer shuttles to Port Everglades but be forewarned, sometimes they are more of a hassle then they're worth. ;)

Next spring we are cruising on the Carnival Liberty. We are flying into mia late friday night but cruising out of fll the next day. any suggestions for a hotel and transportation ? We'll need transportation from the mia airport to a hotel and then the hotel to ship in fll and then from the ship back to mia airport at the end of the cruise. Your help would be greatly appreciated. we are trying to keep the price down if at all possible. We will have between 3 and 8 people traveling together. Thank you !!!

Just curious as to why you wouldn't fly into Ft. Lauderdale - it is cheaper than flying into Miami and it can help keep your costs downa s well as long distance and hassles...

I found a GREAT deal on airfare ( times 3 people I just couldn't pass it up ). I'm hoping someone from the miami/fll area that may be familiar with the local transportation options might be able to help. as far as car rentals if we picked up a car at miami airport where would we drop it off the next day before getting on the ship ? would picking up a car at the mia airport and dropping it off at fll airport then taking a shuttle from fll airport to the ship be a possibility ? hmmm

I found a GREAT deal on airfare ( times 3 people I just couldn't pass it up ). I'm hoping someone from the miami/fll area that may be familiar with the local transportation options might be able to help. as far as car rentals if we picked up a car at miami airport where would we drop it off the next day before getting on the ship ? would picking up a car at the mia airport and dropping it off at fll airport then taking a shuttle from fll airport to the ship be a possibility ? hmmm

You can easily rent a car at one airport, drive to the other city, and drop the car off the next day at the other airport. There are free shuttles (run by the car rental companies) from both FLL and Miami. I know. We rented a van in March at FLL airport and drove to Miami airport, stayed overnight, dropped the rental van off at Miami airport, and took the rental car shuttle to Miami port the next day.

Bon Voyage,

Karen:D

Karen - now thats a good thought. I am just starting to figure out how I'm going to get my family from FLL airport to MIA port reasonably. We are flying in a day early. What car rental do you suggest that may allow us to rent from airport, find a hotel for 7 of us, (doesnt really matter if its close to port, as we will have car in morning to get us back to MIA) get back to MIA & then take the shuttle? I guess I didn't realize that car rentals shuttle you to port, but that seems to make the most sense. The reason we flew into FLL is the cost of flight was tremendously lower (I jumped on it the morning the flight was released as it was Easter week-the flights jumped from $250ppto$570pp in 1 day) We have always cruised out of FLL but planning on cruising Carnival (1st time)w/kids. Any help w/car rental info is greatly appreciated.

Cindy

Karen - now thats a good thought. I am just starting to figure out how I'm going to get my family from FLL airport to MIA port reasonably. We are flying in a day early. What car rental do you suggest that may allow us to rent from airport, find a hotel for 7 of us, (doesnt really matter if its close to port, as we will have car in morning to get us back to MIA) get back to MIA & then take the shuttle? I guess I didn't realize that car rentals shuttle you to port, but that seems to make the most sense. The reason we flew into FLL is the cost of flight was tremendously lower (I jumped on it the morning the flight was released as it was Easter week-the flights jumped from $250ppto$570pp in 1 day) We have always cruised out of FLL but planning on cruising Carnival (1st time)w/kids. Any help w/car rental info is greatly appreciated.

Cindy

Hi Cindy. I can't remember exactly who we used but I do recall that there were at least three companies who had shuttles (try the bigger ones like Avis, Hertz, Dollar, Enterprise).

Our favorite hotel in Fort Lauderdale is Ireland's Inn. Check out their website. They have a newly renovated high rise hotel with a great pool and an older, separate section (about three stories) with older, spacious rooms (microwaves, small frigs, round dining room table with chairs, two double or queen beds). You can request the downstairs room which is literally three steps down to the ocean. Your room will have one door that opens to a small older pool and another door that leads to your own patio complete with palm tree and the most magnificent view of the Atlantic. You are only three steps down from the patio onto the beach. They have an indoor award winning dining room, a bar with lounge, an outside on the beach cafe (cheap, fresh food), a gift shop, and a great bunch of staff people. Rates depend on the season but we've gotten a room as low as $120/night.

I'm sure there are plenty of other hotels in FLL too. Just check out Fodor's and Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic for recommendations.

BTW, we're sailing on Carnival for the first time in October. And, coincindentally, we took our kids on their first cruise (along with the inlaws) in March on Celebrity Zenith. Everyone had so much fun!

Bon Voyage,

Karen

Cindy-

I just searched Hertz's website. You can get a van for 7 people in August for one day for $92.97. That's without coupons or any discounts. We used a coupon from the Entertainment book. Be sure to take advantage of those too.

I highly recommend calling the rental car company to make reservations so that you can ask them if they have a shuttle and how to use it. We had to call an 800 number when we got back into port to send over the shuttle (it came within 1/2 hour of our call). It was easy and fast and their shuttle was a/c and newer.

Another note. Be sure to go over the van CAREFULLY before you rent it. Our company claimed there were a few scratches on the van when we returned it. Fortunately we had paid for the extra insurance through the rental company (it was $20 or $30 more a day but it's full coverage without any deductible-well worth it while traveling in Miami) and we weren't charged anything.

Bon Voyage,

Karen:o

Cindy-The website is Irelands.com. They have a great picture on their website of the beach and the older south hotel.

The summer rate through Sept. is $129 + tax for an ocean view room and $109 for a non oceanview room. Hope you enjoy!

Karen:)

Archived