Hello from the Zaandam

Robin7

you can buy the soda cards ($18 for 20 drinks) on board at the bars, they serve Coke products.

The thing that I found annoying about the soda cards now is you can only get fountain sodas, not cans. The only way they serve Caffeine-Free Diet Coke and Diet Sprite is in cans, so the only diet soda I could buy with the card was regular Diet Coke. Sometimes I just didn't want the caffeine, and I refuse to drink sugar. But most of the time the bartenders had to open a can anyway since some of the bars don't have fountains. Argh. :mad:

Robin

The thing that I found annoying about the soda cards now is you can only get fountain sodas, not cans. The only way they serve Caffeine-Free Diet Coke and Diet Sprite is in cans, so the only diet soda I could buy with the card was regular Diet Coke.

If you have a soda card, and want caffeine free diet Coke, or diet Sprite, you order what you want. They open a can, pour it in a glass, and punch out one hole on your card. Very simple.

This works in every lounge and with the Lido stewards.

There's no need to drink the kind of soda you don't want to drink.

If you have a soda card, and want caffeine free diet Coke, or diet Sprite, you order what you want. They open a can, pour it in a glass, and punch out one hole on your card. Very simple.

This works in every lounge and with the Lido stewards.

There's no need to drink the kind of soda you don't want to drink.

I asked. They said I had to order what was specified on the card--'regular' soda. Then the bartenders and/or server turned the card over and showed me the fine print on the back. I tried several times. Then I went to the Front Desk and asked. I was again shown the back of the card. I was NOT amused. I do not like this new system. I'd like to spank all the people who abused the old one.

It makes no sense to me that they limited me to glasses of 'fountain sodas' when many of the bartenders had to open a can anyway!!!

Robin

You were right next door to my parents! We probably bumped into each other a dozen times.

How funny! We rode on the airport shuttle to get our car with three other couples who were aboard the Zaandam. None of us recognized the others! You wouldn't think there were THAT many people on the ship that we wouldn't have started to recognize other passengers. Maybe if the cruise had been longer and less port-intensive?

Robin

Robin, Lardon & Susan...Thank you for sharing your wonderful experiences & photos. Our Cruise on the Zaandam will be Sept. 15th and the dream is becoming more of a reality with all the information you all have shared. Something like 40 days to go...thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Capskys (Arlene)

Take good care of the ship as we sail on the 18th.

Have a really nice cruise!

Hello Cruzbums:

There is a roll call for this cruise over on the HAL roll call board. If you are so inclined, please join us. I know that perhaps you wish to preserve your privacy, so I will not impose myself upon you:), but we would welcome you and your wife. We are a small but diverse group, from families with children to couples travelling on their own. Hope to see you onboard.:)

Karin

I asked. They said I had to order what was specified on the card--'regular' soda.

That's a shame. :( And it's a new one on me, too. :confused: I was on the Volendam in July, purchased a soda card for my grandgirl, and used it myself.

Never once was I denied what I ordered---it was poured from a can (I watched). Same deal last summer on the Maasdam.

I still have several holes to be punched out on that card. I've been expecting to do that on the Zaandam in October.

Time will tell.

That's a shame. :( And it's a new one on me, too. :confused: Time will tell.

You'll have to let me know. After four denials, I quit asking. Either they're enforcing it now or I was just unlucky. I hope it is the latter!

Robin

What would I do differently? Probably go for the bigger stateroom. We had a veranda suite, but it was the small one.

Terrific review...thank you!

My question to you is...we are booked in an A - Veranda suite on the NAV deck for two weeks to Hawaii in February. Is this the same suite that you felt was a wee bit tight? The price difference for the step up is VERY substantial so this is why I ask.

Thanks!

[quote name='LB4SPURS']Cruzbums, we are also cruising on the Zaandam on the 18th...Looking forward to it! Reading all of these posts has helped alot![/quote]

Hello LB4SPURS:

I extend the same invitation to you as I did to Cruzbums: if you are interested, there is a roll call for this cruise over on the Holland America roll call board, and you are most welcome to join us.

My father trained at Brooks Airfield back in 1942 when he was with the Army Air Corps (before it became the Air Force), and also lived in the San Antonio area right after WW II.

If we don't see you onboard [B][I]Zaandam[/I][/B], please have a wonderful cruise:)

Archived