Help! I am SOOOO Totally Confused with Bus Fares -- Help!

Sandytoes

Help!

I'm not getting it....Can anyone make it easier....

You can buy a day pass on the cruise ship or by the pier for 12.00 per day. can not be shared.... This I understand.....In other words, $6.00 each way to get from Hamilton pier to Horseshoe Bay....

The fare will range from $3 to $4.50. Now is this for one way to Horseshoe Bay?...Wouldn't it be cheaper doing it this way..... say $3 and back $3 Total $6.00.....I have no clue about this zone thing...Pier to Horseshoe Bay.

Or you can buy tokens or tickets which are sold in booklets of 15. The tickets can be shared .........How many tickets or tokens do I need - each way?...Pier to Horseshoe Bay..

You see why I'm getting confused.....Tokens, Tickets, Fees, and Passes - - - Oh-my!..... - :eek: -

Help!

I'm not getting it....Can anyone make it easier....

You can buy a day pass on the cruise ship or by the pier for 12.00 per day. can not be shared.... This I understand.....In other words, $6.00 each way to get from Hamilton pier to Horseshoe Bay....

The fare will range from $3 to $4.50. Now is this for one way to Horseshoe Bay?...Wouldn't it be cheaper doing it this way..... say $3 and back $3 Total $6.00.....I have no clue about this zone thing...Pier to Horseshoe Bay.

Or you can buy tokens or tickets which are sold in booklets of 15. The tickets can be shared .........How many tickets or tokens do I need - each way?...Pier to Horseshoe Bay..

You see why I'm getting confused.....Tokens, Tickets, Fees, and Passes - - - Oh-my!..... - :eek: -

Let me take the bus fares one area at a time so you don't get confused.

The simplest way is to buy the one day pass for $12 (2 days for $20, 3 days for $28) It is good for unlimited use of the buses and ferries. You can go to different destinations, get on and off at will and not have to worry about tickets, tokens and change. So don't look at it as $6 each way, because you can use multiple times. If you are in Bermuda for just one day then the other options could be useful. The zone thing is Bermuda is divided into 14 zones, each about 2 miles wide. The 3 zone ticket or token alows you to go only so far. The 14 zone ticket alows you to go from one end of the island to the other. For example, from Hamilton you could go to Warwick Long Bay beach as Hamilton is zone 6, Paget is zone 7 and Warwick is zone 8. So you only travel 3 zones and that ticket is ok. The problem is Horseshoe Bay is in Southhampton, zone 9, now the 3 zone ticket doesn't work and you need the 14 zone ticket or a second 3 zone ticket. Now it will cost you $4.50 cash each way or $4 each way for a token. Just too complicated. Perhaps the native Bermudians can sort this out without a problem, but for most visitors it would be confusing. Really you either get the transportation pass or the 14 zone tickets or tokens. Each ticket or token is good for one trip, so you need one for each way. And if you have a sidetrip, to a restaurant or another sight, then you need another ticket or token. Those tickets and tokens are good only if you have a specific destination in mind and that is it. You could go the ticket, token, change route but you would have to plan ahead and be able to use the map with the zones that are given to you at the vistor's bureau. I am used to navigating different zones because of the buses and subways in Boston and New York. But people coming in from outside get totally overwhelmed. That is why I recommend the pass, no thinking involved, show it and go. Hopes this helps clarify a complicated topic.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004

NCL Majesty Sept 2005

NCL Majesty Sept 2006

Thanks writeratsea! I was confused too!! The all day pass sounds like a great way to get around without the worrying if you have the right tokens. Do you have any suggestions for this first time Bermuda cruiser? What are your favorite sights, beaches, and of course bars;) Thanks!

Thanks writeratsea! I was confused too!! The all day pass sounds like a great way to get around without the worrying if you have the right tokens. Do you have any suggestions for this first time Bermuda cruiser? What are your favorite sights, beaches, and of course bars;) Thanks!

My favorite sights in Bermuda surprisely was the ferry trip we took from Hamilton to the Dockyard. We got on the local rather than the express by accident and it went all around Hamilton harbor stopping in all this quaintly named little stops. It took a lot longer but was a nice, leisurely ride with great views. The ferry ride from the dockyard to ST. George was about an hour and just a nice viewing experience as well. Kind of fun going through the cut into St George as did the cruise ship. Makes you appreciate how skilled the captain and crew are, as the cut is quite narrow. I am still not sure how they navigate this narrow passage, but it is interesting perspective from the lower plane of the ferry deck. If you like forts and museums, the British Maritime museum in the dockyard was great, same for Ft. Hamilton. We loved the aquarium and zoo, great views of Harrington Sound. We walked about a mile to the Devil's Hole Aquarium along Harrington Sound road. Lots of beautiful houses with flowers everywhere. There was a pedestrian walkway above the street from one side of the road to the other. From the elevated walkway we took some great photos. Devil's hole itself was fun. It used to be a cave which roof collapsed years ago creating a pond. When the fish enter they cannot get back out. Many fish and huge turtles, raised from hatchlings. You feed the fish by hookless lines. Our tour guide, Kimi (spelling) was full of interesting information. He amazed us by showing how he had trained a codfish to chase after bait he threw out into the pond. We didn't believe it until he did it 4 or 5 times. From Devil's hole we walked to my favorite beach, John Smith's Bay. It is just a 5 minute walk from Devil's hole. The beach is below a high bluff with shady trees. The reefs are very close to shore and the water casades over them for great photos. It was not crowded at all. Of course Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco Bay are beautiful as well but a lot more crowded. Lighthouses, the 2 best are Gibbs Hill on the South Shore near Horseshoe Bay and St David's near St George. Bars: in Hamilton the Hog Penny has great fish chowder and atmosphere. Flanagan's is a good sports bar owned by an American from South Boston. In the dockyard the Frog and Onion had good food and atmosphere. But the best bar is the Swizzle Inn, supposedly invented the rum swizzle drink. Lots of tourists, everyone goes there as it is great fun. Probably a must see. Close by is the Crystal caves and an ice cream shop accross the street. I tell everyone that the bus pass is a great value. We used it constantly to get from one end of the island to the other. Sometimes with 4 or 5 destinations and switching buses, I can't imagine what the taxi would have cost us. The slower time differential was minimal on the buses versus the cabs as well. The buses have areas to pull over and get back on the road quickly. Just a no brainer for us. If you go by NCL, the dine around program is terrific, take advantage of that if available. If you have any other specific questions, please ask as I have been going to Bermuda since 1967.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004

NCL Majesty Sept 2005

NCL Majesty Sept 2006

Now it will cost you $4.50 cash each way or $4 each way for a token. Just too complicated.

It is not that complicated.

If for the day you are only going from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay and return buy two of the $3 tokens. $6 total.

If for the day you are only going from the Dockyard to Horseshoe and return buy two of the $4 tokens, $8 total.

If you are going to make additional bus trips during the day, or also going to take the ferry then buy the bus pass.

It is not that complicated.

If for the day you are only going from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay and return buy two of the $3 tokens. $6 total.

If for the day you are only going from the Dockyard to Horseshoe and return buy two of the $4 tokens, $8 total.

If you are going to make additional bus trips during the day, or also going to take the ferry then buy the bus pass.

If you are going from Hamilton to Hoseshoe Bay for the day, you are traveling from zone 6 to zone 9. This is four zones and the 3 zone token is not valid, you now need the 14 zone token which is $4 each way equal $8. Same fare as the Dockyard to Horseshoe which goes from zone 13 to zone 9. This is the cheapest way to go.

If you are going from Hamilton to Hoseshoe Bay for the day, you are traveling from zone 6 to zone 9. This is four zones and the 3 zone token is not valid, you now need the 14 zone token which is $4 each way equal $8. Same fare as the Dockyard to Horseshoe which goes from zone 13 to zone 9. This is the cheapest way to go.

You don't count the zone you start from. You only need a three zone from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay. I did make one mistake, the three zone tokens are $2.50. Cash is $3. I have done this three times in the last year and all I paid was $5 for each roundtrip between Hamilton and Horseshoe.

You don't count the zone you start from. You only need a three zone from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay. I did make one mistake, the three zone tokens are $2.50. Cash is $3. I have done this three times in the last year and all I paid was $5 for each roundtrip between Hamilton and Horseshoe.

Thank you for the correction. The woman at the visitor's bureau tried to explain how the zones worked when she gave me the maps. Even the people working there are confused. LOL If you can use the three zone tokens to Horseshoe from Hamilton, that is only $5 round trip and another $2.50 if you want to splurge on the ferry to the dockyard. That works well. I will still buy the pass as I get on and off at multiple destinations.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004

NCL Majesty Sept 2005

NCL Majesty Sept 2006

We used it constantly to get from one end of the island to the other.Sometimes with 4 or 5 destinations and switching buses, I can't imagine what the taxi would have cost us. The slower time differential was minimal on the buses versus the cabs as well. The buses have areas to pull over and get back on the road quickly. Just a no brainer for us. If you go by NCL, the dine around program is terrific, take advantage of that if available. If you have any other specific questions, please ask as I have been going to Bermuda since 1967.

If you share a taxi it becomes affordable. For example from the dock in St. George six of us shared a taxi to Tobbaco Bay. Total cost of the cab $6 and some change. Divided by six that was about a dollar.

And I have taken a taxi tour. Highly recomended. They take you on a three hour tour and you see a whole lot more than when you take buses. You have a guide (the driver) and the driver also drops you off and gives you time at some of the sights. For six of us it came out to $25 each but it was well worth it.

Archived