Is it possible to catch a ferry from Naples to Amalfi

Hi there

Will be cruising with Grand Princess on the 20 Aug and one of the stops is Naples .I do not really want to spend time on a tour bus but wondered if anyone has any experience of using the local ferries from Naples to the Amalfi coastline .If so I would be grateful for any information you could provide .

Many Thanks

Liz from Bonnie Scotland:)

You must keep in mind that the Amalfi coast runs from Sorrento all the way to Salerno (some might say it ends at Amafli) which is quite a distance. It would be possible to take a ferry from Naples to Sorrento or even to Amalfi but it is not very convenient. Most of the ferries from Naples run to Capri...but from Capri you can get other ferries (or hydrofoils) to Amalfi, Positano, or Sorrento. But, with the exception of the ferries running between Naples and Capri, you might find yourself spending hours trying to make the proper connections. You do not say where you want to go on the Amalfi coast (Sorrento, Positano, Praiano, Amalfi, Salerno etc) do its hard to help. One possibility is to take the train from Naples to Sorrento and than take the local SITA bus which runs along the entire coast (this bus line is often very crowded in the summer months). Another possibility is to rent a car and drive (I do this, but not a good option for inexperienced) or hire your own car/driver/guide. Keep in mind that the Amalfi Drive traffic can be awful in the summer and it can easily take an hour to drive from Sorrento to Positano (half-way from Sorrento to Amalfi).

Hank

Do you know if the ferries to Capri are seasonal? We will be there in late November. I can't find dates os operation on the various websites that I have found.

Thank you and regards

yes there are several that go along the coast. just google naples ferries.

Some go right to Sorrento, others Almalfi they are not that far from where the cruise ships park. Also check on time schedules. As an idea you could take the one to Sorrento spend some time take the bus down the coast to Almafi and then the ferry back from there to naples or even Capri then Naples if you feel like rushing around.

The ferries to Capri run year round! It is the only way to get to the island and the residents would be very unhappy if they were to use their transportation. However, the schedule does vary based on the season. I will repeat that taking ferries from Naples to the Amalfi coast is really limited by the schedules. In fact, to get to Positano from Naples by ferry its often faster to take a ferry to Capri and than catch another back to Positano. I am not aware of any ferry that runs directly from Naples to Amalfi,,but than I am often wrong (so my wife says). There is a ferry route that connects Sorrento to both Positano and Amalfi, but it only runs a few times a day.

Hank

It looks as if I will just have to book the tour excursion as it seems a bit messy .and the last thing you want on holiday is the worry of not making the connections and gettin back to the ship on time.

Hi there

Will be cruising with Grand Princess on the 20 Aug and one of the stops is Naples .I do not really want to spend time on a tour bus but wondered if anyone has any experience of using the local ferries from Naples to the Amalfi coastline .If so I would be grateful for any information you could provide .

Many Thanks

Liz from Bonnie Scotland:)

We have done the Naples to Capri ferry......and the Amalfi to Capri ferry.

Both are time consuming.....and to get from Naples to Amalfi....you would probably have to do both.

Archived