post cruise ocean motion

dyslexic pirate

The post cruise motion (mal de barquement? or something like that) is it minimized for the Hawaii cruises because you don't spend as much time actually cruising?

On some cruises I've really been bothered by the after cruise motion - in my head! Last September after coming off an Alaskan cruise I didn't notice it as much but we cruised the rather peaceul inside passage.

Those of you who've done the Hawaii cruise did you notice that sensation of still being on the ship post cruise?

I cruised Hawaii last October and I too suffer from the post cruise ocean/motion.... I had it maybe 1-2 days versus the 1-2 weeks I usually get... I contribute that to more days on land ..... Hopefully it will be better for you too..... Ask your Dr. if Antivert is something you can take to make that better..... That's what I use.... But DON'T take it without asking your Doctor...... Have fun......

I normally have a mild case of it for a few days (friendly reminder of a great time) but, I had nothing after our POH cruise. The first night was pretty rough, but not again for the week. DW had a couple of "feelings" during the trip on land but she's much more sensitive to this than me.

That is interesting. I usually feel pretty awful 1-2 days post cruise but I felt perfectly fine as soon as we got off the POA. I think, it's as others stated, due to the fact that you are on land so much of the time and only sail at night.

I have a motion sickness question.

I have been on two cruises. The first cruise I did not experience any motion sickness at all. Therefore I was not prepared when I got sick on the second night of the second cruise. I immediately took Gravol but of course it was too late at that point (I just threw it up) and did not feel quite right the rest of the trip.

SO......this time I want to make sure I don't get it at all to begin with. Do I take non-drowsy anti-nausea medicine before we even get on the ship (if so, how long before) and do I just keep on taking it the whole time?

I am so worried!

Sheila,

I have had excellent results with Meclezine. My doctor prescribed it for me years ago for flying, but I take it on cruises now. I believe you can get it over the counter now, at least in the states. I took it about 2 hours before we left port, and one every morning and one every evening. It will keep you from getting sick, and it wont hurt you to take it in the event you weren't going to get sick. Like you found out, once you realize you are getting seasick it's too late! I did not get seasick at all on our Hawaii cruise, and it was very rough for 2 days coming back across the Pacific. I also took 2 excursions where we were on a 26 foot Zodiac and those were all over the place and did not get sick. My doctor said the meclazine was better than a patch because it didn't make me sleepy, although on the info accompanying it, it said it may. You could test it out at home.

Hope this helps! Bon Voyage!

Terry

Archived