What is there fun and unusual in Orlando?

ritajmae

We spent a week here last spring. We did Seaworld (1 Day), Epcot (1 Day), Gatorland (1/2 day), shopping (1 Day), lazed around the pool (2 day), Arabian Knights Dinner Theater, Cirque de Soleil, Downtown Disney (1 night each). Would recommend all but Epcot.

But you are asking of things to do without including the theme parks since you've been there, done that already. It's just a glorified shopping center complex, but I would suggest OLD TOWN in Kissimmee as an inexpensive and fun place to putter through. I haven't been in a few years, but they used to have a lot of interesting shops, an old time drug store where you could buy coke in a bottle, some restaurants, an old fashioned carousel, ferris wheel and bungee jumping on site. We always enjoyed going there for a few hours.

imho, Orlando is not the place for unusual things. You don't mention if there are children involved or not: no kids, there are a few really nice gardens in Orlando (Leu Gardens to name one). A few museums (Orlando MOA has an exhibit on the art of the motorcycle; Morse museum is all Tiffany glass). More touristy things: if you are adventuresome, there is a wind tunnel on I drive to do controlled "sky diving" at (Sky Venture). If into nature, Seminole county has things for this (look for their web site). Volusia county has Blue Springs (not sure of the name, that doesn't sound right to me) where manatees go at times (Orange Co. has Wekiwa Springs park). Also at Disney, there is a wilderness tour on some of their property (has a name but it escapes me right now)

We have been to Orlando several times and have done all of the themeparks.

This time we would like to do something different and fun and would love any suggestions you might have.

Thanks,

Rita

You don't mention the size of your family or the ages ... nor how much you want to spend ... but if you really want a once-in-a-lifetime experience I'd suggest Warbird Adventures in Kissimmee (at the Kissimmee Airport). You get to fly a WWII trainer ... can do as short as a 15-minute sightseeing flight or as long as a one-hour flight complete with aerobatics. On every flight you get to take the controls (with a fully-qualified pilot in the back seat behind you) and actually fly the plane. It is awesome ... and it's like getting to experience a piece of WWII history, as well as getting some hands-on flight experience.

I did the one-hour flight twice now ... the last time about three years ago. It was absolutely, without a doubt, one of the most awesome things I've ever done. The pilot in both cases actually let me fly the aerobatic maneuvers, and of course, he kept me safe with his hands on the controls in the back. Note that I AM NOT a certificated pilot and such experience is not at all necessary.

You wear a headset that keeps you in constant communication with your pilot and if you choose, you can buy a DVD of the entire experience (as well as a roll of stills that you have developed yourself). I think VHS video might still be available too. The intercome link serves as the sound track on the DVD/video. The plane has two video-cameras mounted on the wings ... and a third one inside of the cockpit. Your instructor will switch between them so that the video will have some awesome footage on it.

Prices vary by the type and length of flight you choose, and if you're interested, here's a link to their website.

http://www.warbirdadventures.com

They also have a turbine helicopter that you can opt to fly if you prefer.

Believe me ... this is not your typical theme park town experience, and it's something you will talk about for years to come ... maybe even more than your cruise. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived