Scuba, Snuba, and Snorkeling in Cozumel Thread

dbrady

Thank you for your expertise. Would these boat trips be something that I would need to schedule prior to arriving on the internet or would it be something that we would sign up for when we arrived on shore?

-Justin

For Playa Palancar I think you can just show up.

Justin, there will be four of us in Coz. on March 1. We plan on renting a jeep, going to Playa Palancar and taking an excursion from there - no reservation. I understand the snorkle boats leave every hour starting at 9:00 for $30 ea.

I guess that means it is only a one hour tour. Does anyone know?

I think you might want to check with the onsite operator, http://www.daliladivers.com/ to see what their schedule is, if they have one.

Paradise Beach no longer has the snorkel tour.
Bummer, I didn't know that or would not have mentioned it in my original post. Sorry.

When you went did you just snorkel from shore? If so is there a place to rent gear? Yes

I've read good things about Dzul Ha, so it may be where we end up. Is there an entrance fee into Dzul Ha? No, but they probably expect you to buy some food/drinks if you hang out there

Is there a Sunset beach in Cozumel? Can anyone tell me anything about it, hows the snorkling and beach there?
I don't think there is a "Sunset Beach" on Cozumel. If there is, it is a secret I haven't heard about.

We were there jan 31st and snorkled at dzul ha. I thought it was wonderful. We rented a jeep and my friend dropped me off a little North of the entrance to dzul ha and I snorkled back! Got out had a drink and relaxed and then did it all over again. I saw lots of fishes ,a few big ones too! I highly recommend this. good luck!:D
An alternative to this is to get into the water at Dzul Ha and drift snorkel down to the Fiesta Americana and get out there. The FA is nice, it has a bar and a restaurant right on the water front and I'm sure they'd be happy to sell drinks/food to anyone with money ;)

The soft corals that are in the shallower waters of Chankanaab and Dzul Ha were badly damaged. They were starting to come back last May when we were there but still were not restored to the abundance, health and beauty of the previous year before Wilma.

The deeper corals -- Palancar, Colombia Shallows, etc -- looked good. They had sand on them but they weren't as badly damaged as the shallow corals. There was also plenty of other marine life -- eels, barracuda, nurse sharks, chubs, etc. We were diving there but imagine the snorkeling would be good, too.

Enjoy!

For info on Sunset Beach, check out this thread :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=408739

I learn something new every day. In all fairness, I don't really consider a rocky shoreline to be a "beach" in the usual sense of the word beach. To my mind a beach means a sandy area that extends out into the water.

We have been to Cozumel twice and both times have beeen on boat snorkels. Both times we snorkeled over deep reefs- and we drift snorkeled with the current. We are experienced snorkelers and had no problem keeping up-but because of the depth and current-we didn't see much. We would like to do a relaxed shallow snorkel where we can really ogle some fish. Dzul ha and Uvas seemed to be recommended as Beach snorkeling sites. Which is best-is there an admission charge? And do they have places to store stuff when you are in the water? How about shallower boat snorkels. Does anyone know an operator who does this? Karen and Dean:);):o

A few years ago my sister and I did a ship's excursion off Cozumel. I THINK the sailboat might have been the Fury. It anchored in the vicinity of Playa del Sol, in about 8 - 10 ft. of water. Another time, YEARS before that, we did a very similar excursion on a different boat and it stopped at a beach & a couple of places along the shoreline in relatively shallow water as well. RE: that $35 snorkel, there is one offered that has been advertised as currently not available on a tour website. I don't know if it's the one referred to in a post about Paradise Beach or not (?).

I think I read that the lagoon is closed to swimming and snorkeling? This was the primary reason we were considering spending the day here, but if the lagoon is closed, what options are there?

I think you may be thinking of the wrong area, the lagoon is not at the beach area where everyone snorkels, that is open, the Lagoon is on the botanical gardens path back in the forest area.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We did Fury thru RCl off of Freedom in 1/07. They took us very close to the ship to snorkel and we saw barely any fish at all. It was the least amount of fish I have ever seen on a snorkel trip! It was still fun on the boat and the beach is farely nice.

is an awesome party time, but the snorkeling is MUCH better if you book a private charter.....and they will also take you to a great beach club for an awesome lunch.....provide all your beer.....Eagle Ray Divers is the way to go for the GREATEST snorkeling for sure!!!:D

• 9 months later...

but they are all BEAUTIFUL!! I would think it would be Paradise Reef as it is shallow and you will not be able to go any deeper than 40 feet, if even that deep. I've been snorkeling and diving MANY times on Cozumel and it is BEAUTIFUL, so ENJOY!!!:D

Archived