Fanning Island gifts for children

alwayssingin

I have read on various websites that many people take school supplies, candy, bubbles, etc., for the children on Fanning Island. Does anybody have any ideas on how many to plan for? I would hate to take something and not have enough for everyone!

Thanks.

Take a large box of pencils or a doz or so solar powered calculators; the kids will share if there aren't enough to go around. Personally I wouldn't take candy or bubblegum, or anything along those lines. This is a fairly primitive island, the children don't need sweets. Plus I doubt if their digestive systems would appreciate them. When I was there, all the passengers were warned not to eat or drink anything that wasn't from their BBQ. The reverse is true.

Last time we bought crayons & coloring books, balls, etc. I agree with the previous poster about candy, gum, etc. Anything will be appreciated by the children.

NCL Star - 08/03

Celebrity Zenith - 09/04

I would think soccer balls, kites or matchbox cars would be fun for them as well.....but there have been a lot of ships that have been through Fanning by now. I would also worry about them having too much of the usual stuff by now. I was there almost 3 years ago now and I saw the kids with some balls and other items from guests.

Thanks for all the ideas. You are right about the candy. Dental work is probably not a luxury.

One other question. I've seen where the islands speak some English and Gilbertese. Do the children learn English in school now?

Thanks again!

I would think soccer balls, kites or matchbox cars would be fun for them as well.....but there have been a lot of ships that have been through Fanning by now. I would also worry about them having too much of the usual stuff by now. I was there almost 3 years ago now and I saw the kids with some balls and other items from guests.

Found this information on another website:

School Supplies Needed:

Books (in English) for kids , grades K-5

Chalk (they use chalk boards in the classrooms)

Writing Utensils - pencils, pens, crayons, marker pens

Laminated World Maps and Globes

Laminated Wall Posters - Alphabet, Numbers, etc.

Paper of all types- notebooks, lined paper, construction paper

Science Supplies - we didn't see anything there

Resource Books - Animals, Geology, etc.

Art Supplies - clay, paints, scissors, glue, rulers

Solar powered calculators

Wall-mount pencil sharpeners

I think gifts for "the school" would be easier than gifts for the "children" themselves.

Archived