Tipping on Carnival

rainbowfish

We're going on our first cruise and I am confused about the tipping policy. I know that Carnival charges a certain fee each day fro gratuities and a 15% bar fee. What ship employees does this cover and who should we still tip?? How much should we tip???

Carnival will put $10 pp per day on your S&S card. But, it's not a required fee. If necessary, you can have it adjusted at the Purser's desk. An automatic 15% gratuity is added to bar purchases. That can be adjusted also, just change the amount before you sign for the charge.

The $10 per day doesn't cover room service, and it's usual to tip $1 - $3 for room service delivery. I usually tip $2, when I order breakfast. The tip for the Maitre D' isn't covered either by the $10 per day either.

If you have kids, it might be appropriate to tip the staff at Camp Carnival. I'm not sure how that works.

Carnival has a FAQ that should be helpful.

I know people who had the $10/day romoved upfront and then put it back on plus some at the end, because they felt the staff should earn their tip rather than be given it straight away. We just left it on, and then gave the wait staff an extra amount in an envelope on the last day, mentioning that it was in addition to what was put on our card.

Something that might be overlooked: Kids get a free soda with dinner in the dining room, and the bar-steward brought it to us every night, so in the end, we tipped her $10.

I think it has been answered but Carnival will charge your Sail & sign card $70.00 total pp for tip the first day you check in. That covers your Cabin Steward, Main & Opt. Dinner servers. It does cover if you get room service you tip them if or when you get room serve. Now keep in mind you may tip these employees more if you would like.

:cool:

One of the first things we do is take the tips off of the S&S Card when we get on board. We believe that tips are earned not a given. Unless service is below what we expect we always give at least the recommended amount. If service is above and beyond we give more. ( Service has never been below par on the 3 cruises we have been on. I've heard that the Room Stewards are informed about who takes the tips off their accounts, if that's true then they might work harder to make sure they get a tip. Anyway, we have received wonderful service from everyone on board.

Walter

I agree with Walter. We take the tips off immediately and tip ourselves. I tend to be a heavy tipper if I get good service, so the waiters and assistants always make out better that way. I give the room steward a couple of extra bucks every other day to keep my collapseable cooler that I take full of ice. We have always had wonderful service on our 3 cruises. I won't tip the maitre'd. I don't think they do anything that warrants a tip. In fact, we had a maitre'd ask us to move to another table to accomodate a large family that wanted to sit together and didn't even offer us a drink as a thank you.

:cool:

I've heard that the Room Stewards are informed about who takes the tips off their accounts, if that's true then they might work harder to make sure they get a tip.

Walter

Not saying you're wrong, but I've heard the exact opposite, that they don't know who has "prepaid" tips or not.

It's been several years since I've cruised with Carnival and this policy of having tips added to the S&S card is a surprise and seems very presumptuous. I suppose, though, that they had to resort to this because of so many ill-mannered people neglecting to tip. I was just sitting here preparing tip envelopes (great to have it done in advance) and noticed the policy.

My question: 2 adults, 2 children, 2 cabins and, I assume, only 2 S&S cards. Will tips for the children be put on the adult cards?

Thanks,

Connie

Travelled with Carnival last year (Ecstacy) and the tips were added for a 12 year old child which I thought was a bit strong but you have the option to cancel the child on the s+s card.

Travelled with Carnival last year (Ecstacy) and the tips were added for a 12 year old child which I thought was a bit strong but you have the option to cancel the child on the s+s card.

If anything, I would tip more for a child (maybe not for a 12 year old) since they usually make bigger messes and therefore use up more of the staff's time than adults.

(BTW, I'm the parent of a 5-year old.)

Thanks, Deanlo. I don't mind providing tips - but I expect for my children (who are extremely respectful) to be treated with the same courtesy as is offered to adults. This is rarely a problem but I'll have to give this S&S business some thought. The other issue is that I know how much that final bill is going to hurt. (It gives me a "sinking feeling" - which is to avoided at all costs when one is at sea.) It may be less painful to prepare the envelopes now.

I always have wondered why kids are charged the same as an adult in the same room.

The steward is only cleaning 1 toilet and 1 shower,vacumning 1 rug,washing 1 window,ect,ect. The only difference is making 2 extra beds. Even the towels are the same for 2 or 4 people. With all are junk there is so little space that even cleaning is less with 4 people.

Steve

Connie: You will have 4 sign and sail cards. One for each person. You will need these to get on and off the cruiseship. You can turn off the sepending on the cards.

Matre D- he is the one that makes sure the dining room runs smoothly. He may not have helped you personally but its because of him training your waitstaff to give you great service. Its him you go to if their are any complaints with your meal. Im sure 5.00 a couple wont kill me.

Room service- tip at the time of service. You may not get the same server twice all week. Depending on what you order a buck or two is good. I use the gold $1 coins or the $2 bills for room service.

Bartenders and bar waiters will get an automatic tipof 15%. If you have a favorite bartender/waiter tip that person accordingly.

Some people tip before thinking they get better service. I tip at the end. Victory cruise- I left them on the card as it was less then a bother to take them off.

I always have wondered why kids are charged the same as an adult in the same room.

The steward is only cleaning 1 toilet and 1 shower,vacumning 1 rug,washing 1 window,ect,ect. The only difference is making 2 extra beds. Even the towels are the same for 2 or 4 people. With all are junk there is so little space that even cleaning is less with 4 people.

Steve

Cleaning is NOT less with 4 people... :rolleyes: It's crazy to even think that.

Archived