Is This Just The Beginning/ If One Line Does It They All May Decide To Do It

oldIrish

Just saw this on another thread. Sorry I did not get their name. This could be the beginning of the end for all smuggled booze.

Here is what I just read on the Royal Caribbean website. It looks like the drinking age has changed to 21. Plus, you cannot "sneak" alcohol on ships anymore as well. Plus another missing passenger is going to cause havoc.

ALCOHOL POLICY
Effective as of all sailings commencing on or after July 28, 2006, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Royal Caribbean International ships is 21.

However, on cruises departing from European and South American countries, where the legal drinking age is typically lower than 21, a parent who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) who is between the ages of 18 to 20, may sign a waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages.

The 18- to 20 year-old must agree to comply with Royal Caribbean's policies, including among other things, agreeing to not provide alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age. Restrictions apply, and this policy is subject to change without notice.

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Royal Caribbean's Guest Vacation Policy may be enforced, up to and including disembarkation, if a guest violates any alcohol policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Vacation Polices.

Royal Caribbean reserves the right to revoke or otherwise restrict drinking privileges of any guest, regardless of age.

[URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/cruiseDocsFaq.do;jsessionid=0000X0DIr3MPxx3i46RZUykcAkG:10ktmeta1#7"]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custom...kG:10ktmeta1#7[/URL]

With alcohol playing a significant factor in the recent passenger disappearances this seems to be an acknowledgment that the cruiseline wants to take steps to limit the binging. Whether they actually will limit onboard sales remains to be seen.

When people resort to hiding liquor in mouthwash bottles, does this surprise anyone? If you want to carry your own on board, leave it in the bottle and if it does happen to get confiscated, at least it will be returned intact.

Princess' policy does not permit alcohol purchases by those under 21.

RCI sounds like they are really going to be cracking down now. It is only going to take a few passengers being refused to board because of smuggled booze to really start an uproar.
[B][U]Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Vacation Polices.[/U][/B]

I think if it got so bad I had to pour liquor in water bottles or mouthwash bottles, it would be time for me to A-Stop drinking, or B-find another type of vacation that was all inclusive.

[quote name='cherylandtk']With alcohol playing a significant factor in the recent passenger disappearances this seems to be an acknowledgment that the cruiseline wants to take steps to limit the binging. Whether they actually will limit onboard sales remains to be seen.[/quote]

Maybe my alcohol tolerance is better than most :eek: but it would take a substantial amount of Princess-spec drinks to get me intoxicated. We had a couple of bar drinks every night last time on the CB, plus my children had the moctails, and it was *very* hard to tell the difference :D ...

[quote name='turbo46032']Maybe my alcohol tolerance is better than most :eek: but it would take a substantial amount of Princess-spec drinks to get me intoxicated. We had a couple of bar drinks every night last time on the CB, plus my children had the moctails, and it was *very* hard to tell the difference :D ...[/quote]
Smile ...and perhaps slip the waiter a buck...and your drink can be fortified. :) :D

I also very much doubt it was "a couple of drinks" causing any problems-these were higly intoxicated passengers, passed out, unable to walk unassisted, falling over the rails. Presumably the ship does not/will not serve passengers in that condition.

[quote name='oldIrish']ALCOHOL POLICY
Effective as of all sailings commencing on or after July 28, 2006, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Royal Caribbean International ships is 21.

However, on cruises departing from European and South American countries, where the legal drinking age is typically lower than 21, a parent who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) who is between the ages of 18 to 20, may sign a waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages.

The 18- to 20 year-old must agree to comply with Royal Caribbean's policies, including among other things, agreeing to not provide alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age. Restrictions apply, and this policy is subject to change without notice.

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Royal Caribbean's Guest Vacation Policy may be enforced, up to and including disembarkation, if a guest violates any alcohol policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Vacation Polices.

Royal Caribbean reserves the right to revoke or otherwise restrict drinking privileges of any guest, regardless of age.

[URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/cruiseDocsFaq.do;jsessionid=0000X0DIr3MPxx3i46RZUykcAkG:10ktmeta1#7"]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custom...kG:10ktmeta1#7[/URL]
__________________[/quote]

That all seems pretty reasonable to me. Where's the problem?

I don't understand what the problem is either. But then I usually don't drink too much (and usually only when on a cruise) and I'm over 21. Ships aren't going to stop serving (selling) booze on ships -- $$$$. And if one is under 21 and can't drink legally without getting wasted, maybe that's a sign one isn't ready for the responsibility, imo.

In light of recent events, this looks like a liability clause. If something happens that involves an overly-intoxicated person, RC can claim that the person involved violated RC rules, therefore the cruiseline is not responsible. Just my opinion, for what its worth. As a previous poster stated, I doubt the cruiseline will enforce if you are buying their liquor.

Guest BeckyThane
It's been my experience that new policies don't just materialize out of thin air... there's usually something that causes policies to be created. It seems to me that if the problem of extremely intoxicated passengers is such a rampant problem on RCI that they'd create a new policy, I don't think I'll be wanting to cruise with them. :(

[quote=Cruisin' Chick]I don't understand what the problem is either. But then I usually don't drink too much (and usually only when on a cruise) and I'm over 21. Ships aren't going to stop serving (selling) booze on ships -- $$$$. And if one is under 21 and can't drink legally without getting wasted, maybe that's a sign one isn't ready for the responsibility, imo.[/quote]
I think this may be missing the point, the OP was highlighting that RCI were to ban passengers consuming their [COLOR=red]own[/COLOR] liquor in their cabin. I'm not quite certain from their policy statement if this also includes alcohol bought on board, but if not what's the point, since you can get just as drunk on either sort.
Personally we enjoy a pre dinner drink on our balcony as we get ready, we find it more relaxing than rushing to go out and sit at a bar. But if we were holidaying with another couple then meeting at a bar may be more convenient.
Up to now Princess has always permitted consumption of on board duty paid alcohol in your cabin, and been fairly lax in checking for passengers "smuggling" their own liquor on board. I hope that they won't be swayed by recent RCI events.
John.

I am really pleased that RCI has adopted this policy. I think it is about both increased profit and liability. They have a new security chief at the helm who was hired to make some changes and he apparently is doing just that.

RCI has a real problem with out of control kids and teens and this is a step in the direction of fixing that issue as well.

I do think not allowing wine onboard is reflective solely of RCI's interests in $$$, as generally speaking those of us who prefer to bring aboard special bottles and pay a corkage fee are not the ones smuggling vodka in mouthwash bottles.:cool:

I personally believe it is in RCI best interests to consistently enforce their new policies and, contrary to the opinions of others on the RCI board, I do feel they most definitely will do just that.

It will be interesting to hear how this is progressing in the next 60 days. If RCCL does enforce the new regulations, some people will stop smuggling, while others will become more creative. I doubt that many would stop cruising if they could not bring their own liquor aboard, as RCCL will still sell it by the bottle to anyone that wants to pay $50 to $70.00 per bottle, and still enjoy it in their cabin.

Rick

Last December was the only time that I brought any kind of booze onboard. My dd had just graduated from college and there was 1 bottle of champagne left. I had it in my carryon and when it went thru the detector they saw it and directed me to someone who opened the bag to see what it was. I explained that it was left over from a graduation party and we were going to drink it during the sail away and they let me keep it. I wouldn't have been a problem it they took it until the last day but they didn't

The point of this is, even last Dec. they were checking what you had. I would think if we had alot more booze they probably would have taken it.

NCL 's brochure states: "Guests must be 21 to purchase or drink alcohol or to gamble on the ship. Guests are not allowed to bring on board the vessel any alcoholic beverages of any kind."

So, RCCL is not the first or only cruise line to try to implement and enforce such a rule.

However, the debate goes on as to how to smuggle, or bring alcohol on board without being caught.

Enforcement is a constant plague for all cruise lines of all rules, but this seems to be the one which gets so very much attention.

Archived