Dawn Princess this September

sonomaphil

I’m thinking of taking the Dawn Princess repositioning cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco this September 24. We were going to spend two days in Seattle then drive the 3 hours to Vancouver. I noticed that the ship is in Seattle on Saturday the 23 with a one night cruise to Vancouver. They are two separate itineraries. After a rental car to Vancouver, a hotel stay and food it’s just a cheap to take the one extra night onboard. If we do this would we have to go through the full process of leaving the ship and reentering or do you think arrangements could be made for our things to be left onboard? I know we might have to change cabins. Is this any violation of that PSA law?

Thanks!

i think its fairly painless and dont think you have to leave ship,you may have to change rooms tho,and i think you redo a customs thing onboard,hope this helps and yes if it were me,id do the one night sail,and skip hotel and travel,good luck and hope you have a great cruise:)):rolleyes:

TA and Princess said it was against the Jones Act and neithr would/could book it.

I wanted to do it because airfare was much cheaper to Seattle. Also would have counted as 2 cruises towards becoming elite.

Interesting.

I wonder if you booked it online what would happen? Could they deny you boarding? Would they actually stop you if you had paid and had all the paperwork? I can't imagine Canadian authorities caring. Who gets in trouble? The line or the passenger?

I guess it is OK if you are on two different ships from what I'm reading. Of course there is a one night on NCL at the same time. I was hoping for the extra credit on Princess.

They would find out and you would be subject up to a $10,000 fine. They say you would have to have 24 hours between cruises. As an agent, we got lots of email telling us it was still against the law and what our liability would be. They have it programmed in the computers at Princess.

Stupid law from 1857.

They would find out and you would be subject up to a $10,000 fine. They say you would have to have 24 hours between cruises. As an agent, we got lots of email telling us it was still against the law and what our liability would be. They have it programmed in the computers at Princess.

Stupid law from 1857.

and I thnk the cruise line gets fined.....so I would expect that they will watch for it.

this is a perfect example of our government being able to create too many laws......and not being able to "uncreate" any of them....

Stupid law from 1857.

OK so let me try to get this straight, I've received a multitude of conflicting answers.

1) The itinerary of one night Seattle to Vancouver and then immediately an itinerary of Vancouver to San Francisco, no other foreign ports on the SAME ship is ILLEGAL.

2) Same itinerary as above on the same ship but ONE day in between is LEGAL.

3) Same itinerary as above but two DIFFERENTT ships or cruise lines, no days in between, is LEGAL.

Have I got it straight?

Not sure about this. The goal was/is to prevent a ship under a foreign flag to transport pax between two US cities without calling at a "distant" foreign port. /Sultan

Option 3 is illegal too. It is called ship jumping. Alot of people try it though as they feel it is harder to get caught.

For anyone who is interested in the PSA, I found this interesting Q&A from the NY Times back in 2004.

Missing the Boat

Q. On my way to an Alaskan cruise this summer, my plane was diverted by mechanical problems, forcing me to miss the departure in Seattle. Upon boarding at the next port, Ketchikan, Alaska, we had to pay a fine of $300 for boarding at a port other than the intended one. I was told that this fine was mandated by a 1920 law called the Jones Act, but my travel agents are unaware of it. Can you tell me if the cruise operator, Norwegian Cruise Line, or the passenger is responsible for such a fine? - Maxine E. Hartman, Stony Brook, N.Y.

A. Designed to protect and regulate the American shipbuilding industry and ensure a fleet of United States-flagged ships, the Jones Act forbids foreign ships - which includes most major cruise-line fleets - to transport cargo or passengers between two United States ports without first stopping at a foreign port. "You have to be a U.S.-flagged vessel to carry cargo or passengers between any two U.S. ports," said Arthur Levine, a Miami-based admiralty lawyer and former assistant general counsel for Carnival Cruise Lines. "The passenger who missed the ship in Seattle and joined up in Ketchikan is boarding a foreign-flagged ship in a U.S. port and going between U.S. ports."

Because you boarded the vessel in a port other than the port city that you debarked from, you were in violation of the act and therefore a fine was assessed.

Heather Krasnow, spokeswoman for Norwegian Cruise Line, explained: "According to our Passenger Services Contract, passengers are responsible for paying any fines assessed when they violate laws or governmental regulations of any kind. Some airlines, though, do offer to cover the fine as a courtesy to the passenger because it was the airline that couldn't get the person to the ship on time. Typically the airline only does this if the passenger purchased the air fare through the cruise line rather than independently."

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2004/10/24/travel/24qna.html?ex=1154750400&en=6e71ff5c36a00a9c&ei=5070

Archived