Port of Gdansk on the Insignia

B1NKY

We have been told by Oceana that the Insignia will dock in the port of Gdansk. We are looking for advice on how to get from the Port to Old Town Gdansk and to Oliwa (suburbs). Should we prearrange for a taxi or is the Train easy?

We were wondering if anyone has experience with the Trains or Buses.

From the internet, it appears there is a train stop near the Gdansk port that goes to downtown Gdansk. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, does anyone know if you can exchange money at the port of Gdansk? If so, where?;)

We just returned from a baltic cruise on the Regatta.We took the Ship's Tour in Gdansk,but saw plenty of taxis at the pier which is not far from downtown.We saw no change facilities at the pier,but everybody happily takes $.There are change facilities downtown

WOTAN

I did a little research about this, as we will be there next week (Insignia).

The port is actually about 10 miles NW of Gdansk, and Oliwa is between the port and town. (The ship tour write-up describes a visit to Oliwa on the way in.)

I took a look at train also and, depending upon the ship's pier, it appeared a bit complicated getting to the train station. Taxi might be the best way, unless joining the ship tour.

Hi - We returned last week from Insignia Baltic cruise. The port for Gdansk is actually Gydnia, about a 20-30 minute cab ride. There were cabs at the pier, but I don't know the cost. Didn't see a train station anywhere nearby. We hired a guide (Adam) and driver through Tours in Poland and my party would highly recommend them. Adam was a great guide, well spoken, knowledgeable and good at getting us into the right place at the right time. He took us to a great non-tourist restaurant in the woods above te city for a great Polish lunch. The cost for driver and guide was 400 Euros for 6 of us. Danuta and toursinpoland.com will take good care of your tour if you are interested.

Enjoy Poland....we did!:D

When we were in Gdansk in June the tour director on the Regatta said the train wasn't running from the port to Gdansk. She thought maybe it would later in the summer. We took a ship's tour here but I watched very closely for the train station as we left the dock and never saw it. It is very commercial (shipping docks) there and it looked neither easy nor safe to get to the train by foot. So, if you have to take a taxi to the train station, you might as well take it all the way to Gdansk.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is what I have found out about getting to Gdansk from Gdynia. Trains run every 10 minutes to Gdansk, cost 4 zlotny (under$1) and take about 40 mintues. The station you get off on is Gdansk GLOWNY. From there it is a 15 minute walk into the old town, or you can take a tram #18, #13 or #14. Or you can take a taxi, which would cost about 15 zlotny (very cheap).

To get to the train station in Gdynia, you can take a bus from a stop right near the port terminal. Bus #137 , #119 or #147. It is a 10 minute bus ride to the station (about 4km) The name of the bus stop is Dworzec Morski. Or you can take a taxi.

The train you want to Gdansk is the SKM train. The word for ticket is BILETY. So look for SKM BILETY to buy your ticket.

Easy as pie! The Polish people are extremely nice & helpful. The website for the train schedule is www.skm.pkp.pl

Contact www.gdynia.pl for a map of Gdynia (which includes the port terminal, bus station & train station -- I have one, but I can't figure out how to post it)

Judy

P.S. -

It is easier to get local money from an ATM than it is to "change" money. That way you avoid the change fee (although you do have to pay your bank's ATM fee, but that is usually less) and you don't have to carry tons of money all around Europe.

You can save all your leftover foreign currency bills (not coins) and change them back to USD at the airport.

Archived