Cape Liberty Taxi Question

I will be on the August 25th EOS departure from Bayonne. I plan on taking light rail from the PATH station in Hoboken.

From the 34th Street station in Bayonne, we're supposed to call one of the local cab companies to take us to the cruise terminal, which is 2-3 miles away. The fare is fixed at $8.00 each way.

1) Has anyone done this? Please share your experiences.

2) Has anyone not been able to get a cab TO the terminal area from the light rail station? (I don't think there are issues getting a cab LEAVING the ship.)

The 34th St light rail station is directly across the street from the cruise terminal - literally, you walk directly across the street and you are standing at the entrance.

It is not 2 to 3 miles - more like 1 mile - it's just going inside the port on the main road.

You should have no difficulty getting a cab - if they charge you anything more than $5 I think you're getting ripped off. Even with high gas prices, $8 is a bit much. The good thing about it being fixed price - if there is a traffic jam for some reason (for example last cruise is returning or emptying slightly late), it is a nightmare getting in. We cruised the same week last year as you are and it took us about an hour to get from the port entrance to the baggage drop off - and it was unbelievably hot - car almost overheated.

I should start a shuttle service just between the terminal and the 34th St. station. I see people posting all the time about getting from EWR or NYC to the port. I think the light rail is a good/inexpensive option.

Enjoy!

Howard

I took the light rail to get close to the port, and had to walk about a block to the taxi company's headquarters to get a cab. I don't remember what the cab fare was to the ship, but I do remember being unimpressed with the service that I received by the driver and wishing that I had just walked to the ship.. It was about a mile away, but visible from the light rail station.

Archived