QE2 Midships Lobby

transat_jon

Does anyone have a detailed description of the freezes by Peter Sutton in QE2's midships lobby or a resource on the web giving details? Any help appreciated.

I am looking for things like what the artist had in mind (or his inspiration) for each panel, etc.

Don't I wish I had listened to Thomas more as he shouted his way round the ship on the heritage trail!

Don't I wish I had listened to Thomas more as he shouted his way round the ship on the heritage trail!

Would be interesting to find out what Thomas knows - while his tour was great fun & entertaining I thought it quite long on drama & short on detail - but then again, quite probably appropriately so for his general audience rather than the liner loonies!

Peter

Yes, Chris, I am sure he would love that!

Overhearing the stories he had devised while walking past last time was quite worrying. He was getting dates, names and facts all over the place. Quite a one man show.

I think I need a more reputable source.

Jon,

Couldn't find much on the web - other than the anodyne 'inspired by Cunard history'.

I've found "key eras in the Cunard Line" from http://www.magwa.co.uk/qe2/qe2prt03.htm and "depict the company’s history" from http://www.cruisebusiness.com/article.php.

http://www.cruisebusiness.com/article.php does go onto say "from the first scheduled North Atlantic crossings in 1840, with Samuel Cunard and the little paddle wheel steamer Britannia, through to the QE2 of 1969".

But that's it. Not even the Cunard site says what the pictures are of - you could try to email them, it might answer your question.

Thank's guys, I never got that much back from the web myself either, I have books that will give the history of course but I'm still looking for a different perspective.

I have some good pics of the lobby, including a 360degree panorama which works really well (I will share this soon). I need some words to go with them.

I was planning on just putting a rundown of Cunard history that goes with each panel and a history of the lobby itself. Any info I do not know, I can just make up; that's what they do on board.

I am sure I have one of the Cunard Heritage trail handouts somewhere, I just have to get my hands on it. You know of course that it may not have anything on it that I do not know already.

Any information anyone has, just keep it coming.

You might try to find Elaine MacKay. I've many photographs of her doing the tour. I recall specific references to certain illustrations and she had stories.

Remember her? I asked after her this January and heard something about she was off and there had been family problems. You should be able to find her through older staff, or, perhaps, Thomas. (Maybe she taught him everything he knows and the rest he just makes up.)

But first, check the name for correct spelling .... I am far from my files and cannot for you .....

Much of the art ... well, seven portions of it, I can tell you of .... and will, this January. Point by point. With Kyle. And others. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've got those bits covered: have a look at my lobby page at : http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/greatmindspace/qe2_jul06/qe2_10.htm - worth a look just for my panaoramic photo of it.

(This is a temp location for the page so apologies in advance that this location will possibly change in the next week or so. My main links will be updated accordingly).

Hi Peter

Thanks there; it would be nice to get as much as the ship covered in this way before it is too late. Problem is you need a port day on a cruise, not a crossing, to do it (you get better pictures without movement or vibration - I avoid flash in large spaces).

With work and a hundred other commitments, I am so pushed for time on geting this together that I have not one as much digging as I want to. Like you, though, I do recognise some of the elements. The only one I have included is the Persia but need to add more in as I get them together.

It surprises me that there is no apparent record of such a major piece of work. My guess is that it is all from work used is in the Cunard collection so is probably all about the QE2. Next time on board I will be looking this up!

Archived