Alaska Glacier Flightseeing Photoshow

I stress to all my clients that a true "glacier experience" consists of two parts. Seeing the face of a glacier from the cruise ship. AND, most importantly, seeing their magnitude and grandeur from the air. To the non-believers I offer the following. Believe me when I say that even these spectacular photos can't compare to actually being there first-hand, experiencing this all in a true 360 degree environment.

Please turn your speakers on (if you have them) and maximize any new windows that open up, after clicking on the following link. Enjoy!

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/Gf4ii4NF

• 1 month later...

This was the most gorgeous photography I have ever seen...and put to "The Gift" gave me chills. You, my dear, are amazing.

Can you tell me what flight comapny you used in Juneau???

Thank you for your outstanding work.

We are going to Alaska for the first time next September and am planning which excursions I want to do in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan... Any suggestions are welcome!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Putting a quality show together takes a great deal of time. However, if it ultimately helps someone plan a more enjoyable trip, or provides someone who might not be able to afford to travel (or who is not physically able to travel) a pleasurable experience, then it makes it well worth the effort.

Cruzy-Sue: I flew with Wings Airways. Their office is right on the waterfront downtown (the office was in one of the slides). Here is a website page for you. Booking directly with them will save you some money...as opposed to going through your cruise line. However, if you book on your own, you need to find your own way to their office. http://www.wingsairways.com/juneau-glacier-flightseeing.html

irisheileen: Photo Show/Photo Show Deluxe are free downloadable programs to Comcast Cable customers. I downloaded my photos from the camera into Adobe Photoshop in order to optimize their appearance. I then transfer copies of them into Photo Show Deluxe where titles/text, fade effects, and music are added. Then the finished slide show is uploaded to their servers from which the general public can access it.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Putting a quality show together takes a great deal of time.

irisheileen: Photo Show/Photo Show Deluxe are free downloadable programs to Comcast Cable customers. I downloaded my photos from the camera into Adobe Photoshop in order to optimize their appearance. I then transfer copies of them into Photo Show Deluxe where titles/text, fade effects, and music are added. Then the finished slide show is uploaded to their servers from which the general public can access it.

Thanks, Can I transfer over the slideshow that I am already half done using Photoshop? It's already taking so long! I also loved your choice of "The Gift"! That's just the type of instrumental that I'm looking for. Where did you download it from?

I'm putting each folder to different music and still searching for appropriate background audio for each.

Thanks again

Eileen

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You are so right. You haven't really seen Alaska until you have seen it from a small plane. It is breathtaking. I have my pictures at the link below. It was hard to pick the pictures to post from the floatplane trip since every shot was beautiful.

Cruise Doctor, Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos. I was on the Radiance in September and have booked her again for a cruise to Alaska in May. Your photo's reminded me what a beautiful ship she is and only makes my anticipation for my upcoming cruise even greater. Thank you again for sharing! Cindy

• 2 months later...

Wow, what a great photoshow! Amazing pictures and a wonderful experience. :D

I have two questions about the way you take the pictures:

1. You 'in-air' pictures are very sharp without reflection of the window. How did you do this?

2. You lens seems to be wet during the whale watching tour. Did you use a body to protect you camera?

Thanks.

Thanks Sheik, having absolutely perfect weather conditions allowed for an ideal photo shoot. In retrospect, I'm sorry that I didn't shoot more pictures, instead of worrying about ideal composition of each shot. In situations where the subject matter is changing at such a rapid pace, one doesn't have the luxury of time. Live and learn!

1. Your 'in-air' pictures are very sharp without reflection of the window. How did you do this?

Turn off the flash, have the face of the camera as close to the window as possible, and most importantly, use a good quality camera.

2. You lens seems to be wet during the whale watching tour. Did you use a body to protect you camera?

The picture was shot from inside the tour boat. The outside of the window was wet from the ongoing rainstrom we were in.

Thanks for your quick response. I'm glad to hear that I take the pictures the same way as you. I hold the lens almost against the windows to reduce reflection.

Thanks again for sharing those amazing pictures and your answer to my questions. What period did you visit Alaska?

I stress to all my clients that a true "glacier experience" consists of two parts. Seeing the face of a glacier from the cruise ship. AND, most importantly, seeing their magnitude and grandeur from the air. To the non-believers I offer the following. Believe me when I say that even these spectacular photos can't compare to actually being there first-hand, experiencing this all in a true 360 degree environment.

Please turn your speakers on (if you have them) and maximize any new windows that open up, after clicking on the following link. Enjoy!

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/Gf4ii4NF

cruisedoctor, thank you posting that link :) Your photos are truly amazing and a pleasure to view. WOW you are a wonderful photographer. Thank you for sharing with us at CC.:D :D

Dude, that was such a great show!

Husband wants to go on Alaska cruise and I was like, "Why?"... so I decided to get on here and just check it out a little for myself... and uhmmmm, yea, we might just be doing this.

Thanks so much, as you well know, pictures are worth a thousand words!

Any advice on a particular cruiseline, itinerary, and/or excursions to not be missed? Just curious too, about how much does one of them there fancy plane rides run?

Thanks so much,

Michelle

Cruiser Forever: Here are the links to 2 more of my shows. The first one is a tour of Holland America's new ms Noordam. The second one a tour of Celebrity Constellation, with heavy emphasis on the penthouse suite.

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/uq3CE5KA

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/ue9Jt6sF

MsMiMi: The plane ride from which those photos were taken cost $155, and you spend about 45 minutes airborne. That was a direct booking rate. If you purchase it thru the cruise line it is about $20 more, but that includes roundtrip transportation between the ship and the flight office. When your ready to book a cruise it is in your best interest to work with a travel agent who specializes in cruises, and one with a lot of expertise with the destination you are interested in (especially first hand experience). When you selecting an agent, look for someone who has a "CLIA Master Cruise Counselor" certification. That is your assurance that the person is a true industry expert.

Cruiser Forever: Here are the links to 2 more of my shows. The first one is a tour of Holland America's new ms Noordam. The second one a tour of Celebrity Constellation, with heavy emphasis on the penthouse suite.

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/uq3CE5KA

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/ue9Jt6sF

MsMiMi: The plane ride from which those photos were taken cost $155, and you spend about 45 minutes airborne. That was a direct booking rate. If you purchase it thru the cruise line it is about $20 more, but that includes roundtrip transportation between the ship and the flight office. When your ready to book a cruise it is in your best interest to work with a travel agent who specializes in cruises, and one with a lot of expertise with the destination you are interested in (especially first hand experience). When you selecting an agent, look for someone who has a "CLIA Master Cruise Counselor" certification. That is your assurance that the person is a true industry expert.

As always amazing!! Thanks again.:)

Cruise Doctor

Loved your pictures! We are doing the Misty Fjords trip in Ketchikan with Michelle at Island Wings in May. Can't Wait!!!!

My husband wanted to find out what type of camera you use. We are looking to buy a new camera before the trip, and he would like to look at the type of camera that you used.

Thanks for the beautiful pictures and the help!:D

We are doing the Misty Fjords trip in Ketchikan with Michelle at Island Wings in May. Can't Wait!!!!

I've heard that the Misty Fjords trip is beautiful but if you want to see glaciers and lots of ice and snow I'd recommend a flight out of Juneau over the Juneau Ice fields.

Hi Judy!

We are doing the zip line tour and dog sledding in Juneau. I'm just really looking forward to seeing Alaska from the air!

Ah, you must be a lot younger than I am. :eek: A couple of the CC'ers on our cruise did the zip line and really enjoyed it. You are right in wanting to see Alaska from the air. There is no other way to see the vastness of it. And it has to be from a small plane where you can get up close and personal with the mountains and glaciers. Words can't describe how beautiful it is from above.

Love To Cook, I use a Canon PowerShot S80. It is a 8 megapixel unit. And, don't skimp on the memory card. Buy a GOOD QUALITY one with at least 2gb of memory. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. A cheapo memory card will not allow an expensive camera to live up to its capabilitties.

Archived