San Francisco, pre-cruise

glaswurst

After growing up 20 minutes from SF here is my advise: Definately bring long pants in December! Those guys along Fisherman's Wharf make a fortune selling (really fun, tourist) sweatshirts & polarfleece to EVERYONE becuase San Francisco is at least 10-20+ degrees cooler than the areas to the East (especially in the summer).

Don't forget (if you have a couple of days) that you are MINUTES from Napa Valley (and Sonoma)! If you rent a car you can tour (and taste) many wineries in a day. They are stacked up one after the other up and down the Valley. Or you can get a limo tour to the Valley.

One area of SF that I love (besides the Zoo at the ocean) is the Palace of Fine Arts area and the Presidio area. Way out on Lombard toward the Presidio is an area known as Cow Hollow. There is a FUN, inexpensive (but not central to Union Square, Fisherman's Wharf) hotel called Cow Hollow Motor Inn. (FREE PARKING if you rent that car.) This hotel is ringed by many reatuarants; some fine, some funky. There is shopping and art all around. It is off the usual beaten track but might be worth it if you are an adventurous traveler.

Have a great trip...

• 2 weeks later...

Since you are bidding on Priceline a year out you probably won't have much luck. Book a cancellable hotel and then as you get closer to your trip try priceline. I seem to have the best luck bidding with less than 1 month to go. Just a word of warning - we have gotten a priceline room and been given one of the less desirable rooms - overlooking the parking lot, very small, not yet renovated.

If you are into wine at all - one of the van tours can be fun. Some of the wineries are just incredible to see. And IMHO some of the best restaurants anywhere are located in California wine country.

FYI-I have won bids on Priceline at $70 (2 times) and $75 (1 time) for Union Square West (USW) for 2 nights each on 8/11-8/12, 8/25-8/26 and 9/20-9/21, 2006 and each time got the Hilton San Francisco. bid for 3 stars and was upgraded to 4 stars.

We're actually going in 25 days so I thought it might be a good time. Maybe I'll try again. We're currently booked at the Ramada and thought maybe we could do better.

Sorry - saw the OP 2007 date and did not know you are there this month. If we drive we stay at one of the 'Lombard Inn's. There are 3 sister properties. Free parking (a biggie in SF and free internet). Not fancy but good location - close to public transport and restaurants. We used to live a couple of blocks away. The area is less tourist and more local. Check the area and prices - I don't know where the Ramada is located.

Ramada is on Lombard St. I was ok with the price $79 + but after reading Trip Advisor, it doesn't sound so good. Will try again with priceline. My first time so I was a little apprehensive. If I downgraded to ** one of the possibilities was RAMADA so, wanted to stay with the ***.

Archived