Mountain Valley Rafting

2theship

Has anyone done this excursion? We'll be on the Radiance of the Seas on December 17 and will dock in Montego Bay. While we often book excursions on our own we thought we might arrange this through the ship. I've read negative comments about the Martha Brae rafting trip and I was wondering if this one was any better.

Thanks!

That's funny - I was just investigating this same trip! It looks like it goes to the Great river, and I'm wondering if it can be done on your own or if you have to do it through the ship. I found info here: http://jamaicacruiseexcursions.com/RiverRaftingJamaica.htm and I sent an inquiry to Trevor. I'm hoping it's not as "commercial" as the Martha Brae.

Please, if you have done the easy raft trip on a river besides the Martha Brae, would you let us know what you think?

Sherryl

• 3 weeks later...

My DH and I will be in Jamaica on Conquest in December and are also considering this excursion... Please, anyone out there that has done it? We were in Jamaica many years ago and did rafting out of Port Antonio. It was great and would like to re-visit the experience. Want to see some scenery (tropical) and relax. Please reply....

We were in Jamacia 3-4 years ago. When we got off the ship we (4 of us) we hired a taxi for the day and had him take us to a river about 30 min. from Montego Bay.(We saw it in the AAA tour book.) We were the only two boats on the whole river and had a great time. They took us into there house to use the restroom (dirt floors and tourguide wife was cooking in kitchen...chickens and cows running wild) and then up the river (great river I think) they stopped and cut fresh mango's and cocunuts for a snack. A great adventure. (Our 2 wife's were alittle scared) but we still talk agout it today. rlyans

We were in Montego Bay on Carnival in March. Because there were five of us (two 80 year olds...in good shape, though) we hired A-Z vacation planners, and planned our own day. One of our stops was this raft trip. We all enjoyed it, it's very gentle and beautiful. Our guide (I was with DD, 20 years old) was a young man and very knowledgeable...stoppped and picked a venus fly trap and showed it to us and then peeled an orange and shared it with us. The guide with the 80 year olds was also very nice. We also did the Rockland Bird Sanctuary, which was pretty amazing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I think we are going with this excursion - we have already booked with Trevor to do the rafting on the Great River and then a plantation tour. I did have another guide tell me that Mountain Valley is much better than Martha Brae because it is less commercial (vendors and peddlers along the river). They recommended a combination with the bird sanctuary. I inquired with another private guide about the two options and he said "The Mountain Valley rafting is not a good one for you the Marta Brae is better every where you go you are going see someone who is trying to sell you something but you do not have buy what ever they are selling jus simle say to them that you were here before." So he agreed that they have peddlers at Martha Brae, but we should go there anyway. No thanks!

When we were there in March, there was only one person on the bank of the river with some jewelry type stuff, and our guide didn't even go near him...there was also a person completely naked, soaped up and bathing in the two feet of water at the edge of the river....that one gave us all something to talk about! After we did the bird sanctuary we had our driver drop us at Doctor's Cave Beach for two hours and come back and get us to return to the ship. No hassles...pure pleasure! Have fun.

Archived