First time cruiser, afraid of sea-sickness!!

teresa222

I am sailing on Carnival Holday, Sept. 30th (5 nights) and I am terribly afraid of getting sea sickness. My folks went on a cruise a few years ago and my mom had sea-sickness BAD! She wore that patch, which got rid of the sea-sickness, but it made her loopy and confused! I don't want that, either! Our cabin is an OceanView, but I won't know until we board exactly where it will be. Is there a preferable place to ask to get a room to prevent sea-sickness?

Thanx!!

#1 In general, for people sensitive to motion sickness any cabin low and near the middle is the best place. It is also preferable to not be inside (meaning have an oceanview or balcony), as part of getting sea sick is your inner ear "feeling" the movement, but your eyes not being able to "see" the movement. So seeing the view or horizon helps.

#2 It is always better to prevent sea sickness than wait until you have it, and then try to "cure" it. So, start with preventative measures the day before you cruise, to get it in your system.

#3 You also should "try out" some medications before you cruise to see how you react, as each person is different. Bonine works great for me, and does not cause me any side effects. Non-Drowsy Dramamine is supposedly similar. Some people swear by Ginger Pills (available in a vitamin store), but they personally make me nauseous, but for others they are the best thing ever. Patches tend to give certain people a lot of side effects.

#4 Don't worry. Take your precautions, take preventative measures and you'll be fine! Enjoy your cruise.

CJW

I am terrible with motion sickness. Carnival rides, back seats of cars and on water but I LOVE cruises. The first trip we took I took a non drowsy dramimine everyday and I was fine. Second trip I took one the first two days and none after that. The third cruise I took one the day we flew down and never took another one on the ship. Our cabins have always been low on the ship and we've been in both the front and backs of the ship. Go and enjoy!!!!!

If you dont get motion sickness on rides or driving in the car more then likely you will be fine.

Preventive is the best cure. I didnt know if I would get sea sick-- so wore sea bands. These are scruncy type bands you wear on each wrist and it uses accupressure.

Best cabins to avoid motion is low and mid ship but sounds like youbooked gurantee and not much you can do about it now-

• 4 weeks later...
I am sailing on Carnival Holday, Sept. 30th (5 nights) and I am terribly afraid of getting sea sickness. My folks went on a cruise a few years ago and my mom had sea-sickness BAD! She wore that patch, which got rid of the sea-sickness, but it made her loopy and confused! I don't want that, either! Our cabin is an OceanView, but I won't know until we board exactly where it will be. Is there a preferable place to ask to get a room to prevent sea-sickness?

Thanx!!

My husband has tried the patch with left him seeing double for several days after we got home. He has taken Bonine on at least 6 cruises with no side effects. He will take it 1 hour before sailing.

Bonine is the best! Take it the morning of the cruise and take it for a day or two. If you don't think you need it, you can always stop. Like others have said, don't want until you are sick to do something. I always worry about getting sick, and never have.

My DH worried excessively about getting seasick. We all took one Bonine before the morning of our cruise last year and then never thought of another dose. I will take some on our upcoming cruise just to be safe as I agree with the others, better to prevent it than to try to cure it after getting seasick. If we are doing well I am sure we will forget to take it again.

I suggest taking a Dramamine (less drowsy version) at bedtime every night. One dose should last 24hrs, and it makes for a really restful sleep for the night, and you shouldn't feel droopy during the day :)

-Angela

Caribbean Princess 7/24/06

Diamond Princess 1/6/07

My children and I all suffer from various forms of motion sickness and when we decided to take our first cruise, I was very concerned that our trip would be ruined by this awful malady. I packed non-drowsy dramamine and Sea-Bandz just in case. We had one night of rough seas which caused all 3 of us to get sick (hubby the Coastie fared just fine!). We each used the Sea-Bandz and surprisingly it calmed the nausea. My daughter now wears them on all car trips over 30 minutes.

Our 2nd cruise was calm the whole way, and none of us had any bouts of motion sickness. I am so glad we didn't let this miserable condition deter us from giving cruising a try. We plan to do it again soon. Relax and enjoy!!

I get sea sick as well but love to cruise. It is so important of your cabin location. Low and mid ship is obviously your best bet but seeing you have a guaranteed cabin you willl just have to keep your fingers crossed. You can call the cruise line ie. Carnival and ask them if they have assigned you a cabin, sometimes they will assign it anywhere from 1 month prior to sailing to the day of. Once they have assigned you a cabin it is locked in so at least you will know in advance where you will be. I have used the patch and it does cause some odd side affects. After reading the other replys I think I am going to try the Bonine on my next cruise....and prebook a low midship cabin. Weather also will contribute to feeling ill. There are so many great things about cruising, don't let a little sea sickness prevent you from enjoying what will probably end up being one of your best vacations.

Enjoy.

Leigh

The first cruise we went on my son used dramanine and was still very ill. He took it the day before we left and it still didn't work well. If you are really concerned go to your doctor and get a patch that goes behind your ear. They work wonders and usually last the whole trip for one. Also the doctor onboard can give you a shot if it gets too bad and it will help in 15 minutes. Good luck have fun we are booked on Carnival in May, it;s our 6th cruise

Archived