Thanks (how long from pier?)

MelissaForrest

Thanks for all the replies on my question about shore excursions. I have decided to mostly do the excursions offered by Carnival, but there are 3 ports I thought I would be able to do by myself, and was wondering if anyone could tell me how long it takes to get from the pier to Black beards castle on St. Thomas, to Norman Island from the pier at Tortola, and how long it takes to go around old San Juan?

Thanks.

You can walk around old San Juan in 30 minutes or 8 hours depending on what you like and how often you stop. There are a lot of little nooks and crannies to explore if you pay attention and certainly lots of stores to go in and shop around if that's what you want. (Not to mention restaurants to eat.) Then there is the fort, the home of the pina-colada, the tourist welcome center where you can pick up maps and other info along with the free rum-beverage of your choice, etc. If you go to all of these it takes longer. Old San Juan is a bit hilly and can be uneven with lots of traffic so plan on wearing comfy walking shoes vs. cute but not-so-practical sandals.

Archived