Uploading photos-which site is best

stan wood

I have had the pleasure of viewing some beautiful photography on this site and now that I have been to Alaska and have some of my own "very amateurish" shots, I would like to share. I see that many are using Yahoo, Webshots, and Photobucket. Which of these sites is best and why? Are there others that I should consider for uploading and sharing photos? Thanks in advance for your help.

I have had the pleasure of viewing some beautiful photography on this site and now that I have been to Alaska and have some of my own "very amateurish" shots, I would like to share. I see that many are using Yahoo, Webshots, and Photobucket. Which of these sites is best and why? Are there others that I should consider for uploading and sharing photos? Thanks in advance for your help.

Some are using Photodex.com's Pro Shows. That looks quite well for slide presentations with special effects and music.

First, ensure that the product you are considering supports your PC/system. With that said, I've used several web-hosting areas and find that Kodakgallery is great for hosting as well as sharing. I like them because they are secure, you have the choice in how you share your photos, and their picture services to buy prints are phenomenal! Their link is:

http://www.kodakgallery.com

I would also like to say that it is very easy to 'steal' someone's photo on Webshots, so be very careful if you want to protect your photos.

I have used several sites, currently favoring Shutterfly.com. Webshots offers free hosting, but only for a limited number of photos. You must subscribe (small fee) to upload more. Snapfish.com and Kodak offer good prices on prints, but guests must create a free account with their services in order to see them. In my experience, some people just won't bother to look if they have to enroll in something.

I'm currently using Shutterfly because 1) friends can view without subscribing, 2) you can create a "collection" with your own domain name (yourname.shutterfly.com), making sharing easy, 2) family members can also upload to the same collection to share their photos from an event, if you wish, 3) a collection can be set up to be password protected or not, depending on your preference, 4) there are no size or time limits for the number of photos hosted and 5) I can then load my photos in to a PhotoBook, which I use now instead of photo albums or scrapbooking.

Good luck finding something that works for you!

I chose Smugmug based on the reviews I read in the Photo Gallery folder.

Friends are able to view and you have complete control over your individual galleries. I found it very easy to use and am pleased with the quality of the photos (which can be improved or color inhanced if you take a bad photo).

You can check it out at www.SmugMug.com

Archived