New Years Cruise Hal or Norwegian

tacomita

My husband and I are planning to take a cruise from NY for New Years and also my birthdat. The thing is I am not certain if we should do Hollands Nordam or he Norwegian Dawn. We are in our early fifties, like to dress and also like to party. I'm not sure which of the two is a better choice for us. Also I hear that the waters are very rough around this time of the year on sea days anyone know if this is so.

Hi,

We've sailed on both lines over New Years. The most recent was the Zaandam 2004-2005. The NCL was 13 years ago on the Norway which we loved.

Even the Zaandam was a little roudy on New Year's Eve with pax showing some really uncharacteristic HAL behaviors. But that's generally the tone on that holiday.

I'm not a fan of the Caribbean but we really enjoyed the Zaandam and Half Moon Cay where we rented a cabana.

There will probably be more kids on board NCL unless it's longer than 7 days and gets back after the first week in January. IMO HAL has a much more refined atmosphere, definitely not stuffy though. Far fewer PA announcements, no herding of passengers to participate. Everything seems to be a cut above other mass market lines, service, attitudes, fresh flowers everywhere, heavenly mattresses and bedding, larger staterooms, and no feeling of being crowded due to the pax to space ratio.

The food is very subject to personal tastes. You'll hear "too bland", "too salty" "food is better on,,,," WE never went hungry and we were on board for 35 days straight 2 summers ago.

I suggest that you read some of the Noordam reviews, then ask some specific questions. You'll get plaenty of help here.

GN

:) HI , We did both this year within a month of each other. Noordam in March and Norwegian Spirit in April. This was my first Norwegian in over 30 years and was very pleasantly surprised The food in the dining rooms was outstanding with very generous sized portions. lobster tails were at least twice the size of the ones on Noordam, and waiters kept asking if we wanted more. As far as dressing up, noordam is the one for you. Very little dressing up on Norwegian. Truthfully , we were a little disapointed with Noordam's dining experience. Noordam has a few more cabins than other Vista class ships and the dining room has absorb an extra 75 people, making it very crowded. Portions were miniscule and everyone at the table started ordering two entrees at every meal We had great tablemates but were really jammed in . We had a nice table overlooking the ocean but everytime someone had to get up or wanted to sit , at least 2 people had to get up to let them in or out. We were up on a platform and you could only get in from one side. We decided that this was the beginning of the Carnivalization of HAL. HAL cabins a bit nicer, although Norwegians wera a bit smaller they are laid out in such a way to really optimize space and there is a minibar in all rooms. We are still HAL fans and they are our line of choice, but we probably wiill not be sailing on the Vista class ships. In fact, we are booked on 30 day Hawaii and French Polynesia Ryndam cruise in January.

DOLPHIN IV, SUNWARD, NORDIK EXPRESS, M/V BOND, NORTHERN RANGER, BIG RED BOAT II 2X, CARNIVAL VICTORY, ROTTERDAM VI 2X, REGAL EMPRESS, ZENITH 2X, KWARTHA VOYEGEUR, GOLDEN PRINCESS, MAASDAM 2X, QUEEN MARY II, CARNIVAL LEGEND, NORDIC EMPRESS, NOORDAM, NORWEGIAN SPIRIT, ALSO USS SPARTANBURG COUNTY, USS MOALE, USS MYLES C FOX, USS DAMATO, USS VOGELGESANG, USS ORTOLON, USS FULTON

• 3 weeks later...

We have done NCL(Christmas)and HAL (New Year's). NCL balcony cabins are tiny compared to HAL's. We also lucked out on HAL because we chose a guarantee and received the cabin designated for someone who is physically challenged and it was much bigger(the balcony was 2.5 times bigger). HAL is more conservative(we like conservative and there were still a lot of families. But maybe less for longer cruises. I was disappointed that Volendam's maitre 'd did not enforce dress codes. I still saw jeans on people in their 20's. NCL is too casual for us. We like to get dressed up and I find people still were dressed sloppily even on formal night. To me it's a different clientele. The newer HAL ship cabins are smaller though. I guess it depends on what your style is. Hope it helps.

I've sailed both ships from NYC, and was on the Dawn last Xmas and New Year's. Neither HAL nor NCL are my top cruising choices, but the Noordam is a beautiful ship and tough to beat. The Dawn is nice, but I am not a fan of freestyle dining, and many things on the Dawn seem to be just slightly inferior. HAL's crowd does skew a bit older, but I'm sure you could find plenty of people willing to have some fun.

As far as rough seas, it all depends on the weather, but I felt nothing on either ship, expecially the Dawn. I was very impressed with her stability at the speeds she maintained.

Archived