venice port to hotel and hotel to airport

i have a question we are going on the grand next month and i would like to know how easy it will be to get from the cruise ship to our hote i picked the best western montcarlo,also how easy will it be to get from the hotel to the airport,can i arrange a transfer from the cruise ship while on board or can i arrange it while in port the day before please i need help and advice my husband said to take it easy but i like everything planned before we get ther if possibe we are a family of 4 with 6 pieces of luggage. thank you

i have a question we are going on the grand next month and i would like to know how easy it will be to get from the cruise ship to our hote i picked the best western montcarlo,also how easy will it be to get from the hotel to the airport,can i arrange a transfer from the cruise ship while on board or can i arrange it while in port the day before please i need help and advice my husband said to take it easy but i like everything planned before we get ther if possibe we are a family of 4 with 6 pieces of luggage. thank you

Do a search on this board as there is just so much info on this subject since it always gets asked....short answer take a water taxi which you can pick up when you get off the ship,and take same to the airport.It is expensive,but worth the ride for the money IMHO and beats taking a vaperetto or going to the train atation and getting a taxi.

I just returned Sunday from Venice after a cruise on the Oceania Nautica...We stayed in Venice two nights post cruise. It was my fourth visit to Venice and I've now arrived there by: 1) Train, 2) Car, 3) airplane and 4) cruise ship...and I've departed by train, car, cruise ship and airplane!

Anyway...here's the complete rundown...

Arriving by cruise ship, your first question is "what sort of transportation does the cruise line offer?" Oceania offered a free shuttle to Piazzale Roma...But, it appeared that Princess was offering their guests a shuttle boat directly to San Marco (I don't know whether there was a charge for this of not). You should find out...You might also be a ble to pick up a taxi to Piazzale Roma as well...

Here's the key: Your hotel is sort of "inland", so, whatever you do, you will likely have to walk a few blocks dragging your luggage--unless the hotel will arrange some sort of luggage transfer for you. (We just rolled ours from the Vaporetto stop as our hotel was maybe only a block from the Valleresso Vaporetti station).

You basically have three methods to get from Piazzale Roma or from the cruise terminal to your hotel:

1) A private water taxi: Easily the most convenient, but also the costliest...Should cost around 80 euros (over $100) for a one-way trip from the pier to however close to your hotel as it can get by canal.

2) Alilagunia: It's a large bus boat with direct trips between various sites...I know the cost per person from San Marco to the Airport is 12 euro. I believe they run one from the pier to San Marco as well.

3) The Vaporetti (ACTV): Easily the cheapest way to go. We opted for this. You can pick up a 72 hour pass for 25 euro per person when you get to P. Roma (or 12 euro for a 24 hour pass). (Note: The signs say each passenger is allowed 1 piece of luggage and it's 5 euro extra per trip for a second piece, but I never saw anyone getting hassled for this)...Anyway, you'd pick up the #1 or #82 line at P. Roma and take it all the way to San Zaccera (San Marco) and walk from there. what makes this incredibly cost effective is that the 24 or 72 hour pass is good for ALL of your transportation needs in Venice...You can use it for any Vaporetto ride, to get to Lido or Murano or Burano and even to get you on the bus to the airport when you want to go home (#5 bus from Piazzale Roma to the Airport). Pay once and forget about it...Of course, it takes you a little longer to go by vaporetti and public bus since both stop at numerous stops along the way...

Good luck...

thank you all for the valuable information it is very helpful,i was trying to get to best hotel i can without the least amount of hassle, and i thought the best western seems nice also from reviews they all seems favorable,i will get in one day before i have to get off the ship so i will check out my options and the best way to get there maybe private taxi or ship shuttle i am just trying to avoid dragging my luggage all over the place but there is no way to avoid this unless i take the ship transfer to airport and leave the luggage in a locker this is an option i really dont like but maybe the easiest. Thanks again for all your suggestions i know they will help.

Check the other Europe threads, like "Important, Water Taxi Alert" for updates on the situation involving from/to the airport and from/to the ship. Past history is useless. Everything changed as of 7/10/06.

We stayed at The Monte Carlo when we cruised out of Venice. It's a lovely hotel and very convenient for everything. Several days before we left home we emailed them to ask them to arrange a water taxi to pick us up at the airport and they e mailed us back saying it was arranged. No problems - and a guide was waiting for us when we came through the arrivals lounge holding up a sign with our name. She took us straight to the water taxi and travelled with us to the Monte Carlo which has its own water taxi berth. All very simple I can't remember the exact price - approx 100 euro? I believe we paid the hotel on the last night, as they arranged it. No doubt they could order you a water taxi to the airport from the hotel i.e. a reverse arrangement to ours.

Getting to the port was also easy, as on most days when there is a big ship in, there is a Water Bus service from the San Marco stop (very near the hotel) on the waterfront - in front of the gardens. I understand from the boards that there is a problem in getting TO & FrOM the port with a Water Taxi. We found the Water Bus worked very well for us - the hotel is only a couple of minutes from the Water Bus stop and all our luggage was on wheels. This particular Water Bus wasn't busy and there were a few other cruise passengers waiting with us. I am sure that the reverse procedure should also work well for you. The hotel is lovely - in a brilliant spot for sightseeing etc.

once again thank you all for the information we are off tomorrow flying 1 day ahead into barcelona that i am not worried about. The 1 night in venice is giving me nightmares it was my mistake i did my own air and i did not count my days right i thought i will be getting off the ship on the 21 but instead we are getting off 20 that is why i had to find a hotel fast cancelled my princess transfers and now hope for the best. My family said it will all work out so i am not going to let this spoil my trip .thank you all again, these board are very helpful i am so glad i found it.

Archived