Universal Studio: Theme park or Studio tour??

tennisobo

We will have a full day (Sunday, Feb. 4) after our cruise to see stuff in LA. We would like to see/do things that make LA unique. My question: Is Universal Studios just a big theme park with thrill rides? Is there a studio tour that you can purchase without doing the theme park thing?

Thanks!

Here's the deal...

Universal Studios Florida is just a big theme park.

Universal Studios Hollywood was and still is a currently functioning and working film and television studio.

At some point, they decided to add rides and shows essentially onto the side of the existing studio.

So, yes there is an amusement park aspect; but there is also the tour through the backlot portion, where you will see old (Psycho House, Jaws lake location, Back to the Future town center, which is probably some other town center now) and currently used Deperate Housewives, etc.

There is also Universal City Walk attached, which has shops and restaurants.

If you buy the regular ticket you get admission for the tour and the park/rides.

There is also the option of the VIP experience tickets, which will give you personal guided tours where you walk through sets and soundstages and get to see things you don't on the regular tour.

I don't know if that also includes admission to the park, but I imagine it would.

Universal City walk is free (except for parking maybe) regardless.

Now how long do you actually have in LA?

How many people, what are the ages, and what are the interests of your group?

There are other things to do and see as well that make LA unique, if I know a little more about that info.

I'm here to help, so I'll keep checking back.

CJW

Hi,I too am interested in the Universal Studio VIP tour.Is there a tour company that provides a bus ride to the park and tickets or is it better to rent a car and get the ticekts when you get there? Do you need to prereserve for the VIP tour? Thanks for any help.

From the Universal website it looks like you have to buy a pass for the park and the tour. You can't just do the tour. So, I don't think we will be doing that.

I'm guessing we will do a tour in Hollywood. A walking tour maybe? We'd like to see the Walk of Fame and stuff like that. It would probably be slower-paced than trying to do Universal. What's the best way to arrange transportation to Hollywood? We will be staying near the airport in El Segundo (Residence Inn).

I'm guessing we will do a tour in Hollywood. A walking tour maybe? We'd like to see the Walk of Fame and stuff like that. It would probably be slower-paced than trying to do Universal. What's the best way to arrange transportation to Hollywood? We will be staying near the airport in El Segundo (Residence Inn).

Getting to questions one at a time here...

I'm cutting and pasting from a previous post of mine, but for what you want, it sounds like you'd enjoy Red Line Tours walking tour of Hollywood and Highland.

Previous Post:

If you really want a decent Hollywood tour try Red Line Tours "Hollywood Behind the Scenes", which is a walking tour that focuses on the Hollywood and Highland area. There is a lot of history densely packed in this area that tourists usually miss.

But, since you have a few days and a car, I would recommend that you get some books and use them for your own custom made tours.

If you want the best most up to date Hollywood/Stars Homes thing, then you should get "The Ultimate Hollywood Tour Book" by William A. Gordon.

If you're more into unusual unique history, gossip and scandal then get "This is Hollywood: An Unusual Movieland Guide" by Ken Schessler.

If you want cool walking tours of all different parts of LA then get "Walking LA: 36 Walking Tours" by Erin Mahoney.

I think that you should be able to get these all online (I'm just looking at them on my bookshelf).

I'd check all that out first, and then plan and decide before your trip.

Hope that helps.

CJW

PS Forget buying any of those maps to the stars homes. They're all outdated and incorrect and useless.

Archived