In suite emails?

swindy

We are travelling soon to Alaska on the Silver Shadow.

Does anybody know if the suites onboard now have email access directly from the suites?

Thanks

Certainly in the larger suites - in the bedroom was a TV with internet and e-mail available - but at a charge. I didn't switch it on so cannot give you any more info.

I thought I had read somewhere that the Shadow now had the same in suite system as the Whisper?

It would certainly be better than queueing in the computer centre and much more private.

For some reason - I have it in mind that the room e-mail/web system is a different system and different charges to the computer room system. I'm probably wrong?

Re all tv's in all suites on whisper. It didn't have e-mail/web on the plasma - just on the second tv - hence my confusion.

The in-suite TV e-mail system is separate from normal Internet access. I believe you have to use an assigned e-mail address instead of your normal home e-mail address, and you're charged by the message instead of by the minute. It's probably most useful for people who don't rely heavily on e-mail and just want to keep in touch with the folks back home.

GoEurope:

Do you mean there is a keyboard inside the ordinary cabins such that any passenger can send and receive e-mails without going to the "computer room"? If so, that will be a nice, convenient feature. How much do they charge per e-mail? (It was $2 per e-mail on the Regatta's computer room, for example.) Thank you.

GoEurope:

Do you mean there is a keyboard inside the ordinary cabins such that any passenger can send and receive e-mails without going to the "computer room"? If so, that will be a nice, convenient feature. How much do they charge per e-mail? (It was $2 per e-mail on the Regatta's computer room, for example.) Thank you.

The system was in early beta testing the last time I was on the SILVER WHISPER, but as I recall, it was to include a wireless keyboard. I don't know what the charge per e-mail is, either.

BTW, Seabourn is introducing Wi-Fi "hot spots" throughout its ships, including the suites. That will put pressure on Silversea to do something similar.

Keyboard included. Charge was something ridiculous like $5 per e-mail. We used the computer room instead.

Thats' it - I got the impression it was as user friendly as a cornered dog and very expensive. The initial appearance was that it was an added-value and free and then as soon as you went to any part of the menue they wanted a charge - a big charge. The computer room was fine and cheap.

Archived