Handicapped Parking at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal

driker2

My wife uses a wheelchair and I (the driver) have some walking difficulties. Does anyone have information about the availability and closeness to the ship of handicapped parking at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal?

I am debating the alternatives of driving or hiring a car (from southern new Jersey).

I was using a wheelchair for the July 2 Crown Princess cruise so it's still fresh in my mind. You can drop your wife off with her wheelchair very close to the terminal. We used the bus area because we got there earlier than any of the arriving buses. I waited there while my wife parked the car in the handicapped area which is very close to the gatehouse to the parking lot where you pay as you exit. I didn't need Princess help getting into and around the terminal for boarding because my son in law was with us and he's very good moving the chair.

When we returned we went straight to the car after customs. It was not a long haul to the handicapped parking, but then again I was taking a ride.

The Crown Princess has excellent handicapped bathrooms; however, the exit doors to the promenade deck and the open deck areas on the Lido and Sun decks have relatively high lips, especially on the Promenade. Seating for wheelchairs in the Princess Theatre is best on the lower level.

I would call Princess and make sure they had ground personnel available to help bring your wife into the terminal and on board. Some of the ramps are rather steep onto the ship. Luckily my SIL is a moose. Also make sure they have someone to help you off and to the car. On board you may want to consider an ECV or electric wheelchair for your wife. There are ramps and inclines on the ship that require a degree of strength to push and maneuver a chair.

Happy cruising.

Archived