Best kept Secrets

YES! We do this too, every time. It's wonderfully relaxing and intimate. We always want to be up on deck and take pictures for the sailaway, and do not want to rush to dinner in the dining room that first night, so now we go to the WJ the first night and sit at the back next to the windows. Ahhh... it's so amazing. Great photo opportunity since it will be sunset!

My tip (that we learned right here on these boards!) is the best coffee on the entire ship is the free Seattle's Best in the back of the Promenade Café. Just go to the back and help yourself. It's much, much better than WJ, dining room, and room service - I don't know why because presumably, it's all Seattle's Best Coffee.

Have an awesome trip! :)

~Karen

Free, you say. Great idea. Just have to find it.

We are avid Starbucks drinkers, so coffee is VERY IMPORTANT to us.

I was thinking of taking our Melita 2 cup coffee maker on our cruise, but might not need it with this wonderful info. Thanks!

I gotta tell ya....this is a great thread. I told my travel agent about cruise critic last night (she had never heard of it) and I said it is the best place for the new cruiser to learn from the seasoned cruiser, and to have every conceivable question answered. I love it.

Wish I could claim it to be "my" tip, but I found it while researching one of the port message boards. Now that I've claimed my ship, cabin and cruise date I have to figure out what I'm going to do at port... sigh. This will be a tough job, but someone's gotta do it... :D

I live in Vancouver, B.C., Canada, and love using cruisecal.com to see which ships are in port and finding out what time they leave. It makes for a great Sunday afternoon sitting at the beach watching the sailway for four ships, one after another.

196972513_b028c70109.jpg

just a note about the shampoo bottles....make sure they are completely and TOTALLY cleaned out before you put the alcohol in them...i know this sounds obvious, but I tried this trick once with vodka and herbal essence shampoo...thought I got it all out, but I was wrong. and anyway, my vodka tasted like shampoo and was a total waste

just a note about the shampoo bottles....make sure they are completely and TOTALLY cleaned out before you put the alcohol in them...i know this sounds obvious, but I tried this trick once with vodka and herbal essence shampoo...thought I got it all out, but I was wrong. and anyway, my vodka tasted like shampoo and was a total waste

Would they actually open a water bottle in your suitcase?

Would they actually open a water bottle in your suitcase?

No, they won't. I thought people use shampoo bottles or something similar that is dark plastic to carry on darker liquor, such as rum. Not sure why you need to put vodka in a dark container.

I will always purchase all my liquor on board because I like specialty drinks when I DO drink (which really isn't that often) and want them prepared by someone that knows what they are doing (I don't). But, I will need a U-Haul for the diet pepsi I intend to bring on board and am a bit self conscious about that. I just don't care for coke products at all.

I'm glad you all like CruiseCal.com!

I don't know how secret this is or if they even do it still but, when we sailed on the Adventure of the Seas, we were booked in a Junior suite. When we checked in, I inquired if there were any upgrades available. They sent me to the pier coordinator's window and we upgraded to an Owner's suite for $400. We did the same thing on the Disney Magic upgrading from a simple balcony cabin to an aft 1 bedroom suite for $200 (4 day cruise).

Brian

Remember that Seattles Best is not free at the kiosk. C&A members will have a coupon - I think it's been a 2 for 1 in the past.

Thanks for the port info - Mr Wolf and I are visiting Vancouver soon and wanted to wave at the ships while we count the days until the next cruise!

Yes, we too have gone into the dining room and checked our table - it all depends on if the doors are open. We've even memorized our table numbers in the past so we can ask for a specific location by number!

I realize it is only a new ship and the kinks are being worked out... but is there a best kept for the FOS - we are first timers and would love to have that little special something to look for. Thanks ahead of time. :)

Rather than worry about a wake up call- get room service every morning-- even if you plan to eat at buffet or dining room. Nothing is more appreciated than having a hot pot of coffee delivered each morning! OK, you may also want a croissant or 2! What's great, is, they call you prior to bringing the tray-- better than a hotel! Always tip $2 or $3- or more, depending on how much you get delivered. On one our trips, we had too much fun in Cozumel- missed dinner- but still wanted "the good food" from the dining room-- no problem- they deliver to your room! So we ate leisurely & then went about our evening. Have Fun!

Get on the ship as early as you can. Pack your swimsuits and go right to the pool. Sometimes the cabin steward allows you to come into the room to drop off luggage. Makes for a long first day. I would never skip dinner the first night. That is when the waiter gets to know what you like and then it just shows up each night at the table. Also, if you do not like location of table or tablemates it will be too late to change on the second night. There is so much to do on a ship...relax and enjoy! Bring a highlighter to mark the daily compass as to what you want to do each day.Make sure you know where your cabin is--port or starboard and bow and aft...so when you are looking for the cabin you go down the right hallway!Bring sunscreen and use it...the caribbean sun is a much different sun than what you are use to. Do not ruin your vacation with a terrible burn. Also, bring ginger capsules and take 2 with each meal--even if you are not feeling sea sick take it...it is easier to ward off sea sickness than try to get rid of it once you have it. Even with smooth water, the ship moves and the body is not use to the motion...take the ginger!

Okay...I have one!

Bring some clothes pins to keep your towel down on your pool lounge chair...it will blow away constantly in the wind without it.

(Learnt this one after picking up our soaking wet towels that always seem to land in the nearest puddle of pool water!)

Clothes pins also help with keeping the room curtain closed all the way, and for hanging wet bathing suits in the room!

-others worth repeating!

1) highlighters in different colours (one for each family member)

at night we all sit with our daily activities sheet and highlight what we are each interested in...

2) extension cord for all the cell phone chargers, nintendo chargers, ipod chargers, camera battery chargers, you get my drift here!

3)Pick up a lanyard to wear around your neck for your room keys

4)window writers (special markers that wipe off surfaces like mirrors and windows) We leave notes to each other on the cabin mirror like where we might be on board and we leave love notes to our cabin steward!:D

5)2 way walkie talkies, excellent for keeping track of your teens!:rolleyes:

These are great tips and I have decided to print this thread and keep it as part of my cruise papers and take it with us. Thanks everyone. Dreaming is half the fun.

Me too! I've been following along since the original post and am so excited for all of the tips, advice and general comments. GREAT POST!!!

I bring some water and Diet coke for our room ... day 1 I tip the cabin steward like $10.00 have him empty the mini fridge as well as asking him to keep our mini collapsable cool filled at all times with ice ( I keep it in the shower)...also they like being tipped them with phone cards so then can call home on shore.

Here's an idea. Don't know if anyone said it or not. When I pack I pack things that can be thrown away when the cruise is over. Things like shampoo, toothpaste, lotions, etc. Might make the packing job coming home easier and makes for more room in the suitcase for my souveniers.

Plus when packing keep the bags from the dry cleaners to put your dresses, suits or wrinkly clothes in. They come out much nicer. I always carry Downy wrinkler releaser with me as well in a plastic bag so if something does get wrinkled I just spray it out on the first day and don't have to use the laundry services aboard which can be expensive.

Archived